Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

English defintion please of "mottled" please!

Fiver64

Practically Family
I recently picked up an Aero Highwayman in black FQHH. According to the seller (Aero ....from their used page) it is listed as "mottled." I love the jacket.... it is beautifully broken in and actually looks wonderfully beat on the outside. Inside is spotless clean and given the Aero brand zipper, it's obviously not very old. I asked Aero what "mottled" meant, but never got an answer. I'm just curious...... what does "mottled" mean in the UK? In the US, I understand it to usually refer to a variance in color shading or blotching. Could it mean "distressed?" The leather certainly does look that! Thanks in advance.

I'd love to download a photo, but the photo manager always says, "upload failed." What am I doing wrong? Just using JPegs or Gifs.

sixties.nut

Mottled?

I heard of mottled carpet as in high traffic areas, does the jacket have a fur/acrylic collar? If so, then its well worn not necessarily distressed.

I couldn't begin to tell you how to put a picture here.

Regards,
Mike

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
My take on "mottled" would be pretty much what you said: variance in colour, blotching. Subtle variation of colour, like something has been stippled, with no clear demarcation. Distressed, no, not really. Variegated, more like.

Hope this helps!

Peacoat

Bartender
Use a remote server, such as Photobucket. Copy the IMG code under, or next to, the photograph you want to post. Using your cursor, place the flashing cursor symbol where you want the photo to appear, either above or below your post, usually below, and click on paste. If you don't have those tools in your tool bar, press "ctrl" and "v" at the same time to paste. The photograph will appear when you post the message. To see if it works, use the Preview function.

Carlisle Blue will tell you a more convoluted method, but the one above is the simplest.

And I agree with the Bunny about the definition of mottled.

Fiver64

Practically Family
argh.......

Thanks for all the opinions! The jacket is plain black with no variations in color or texture. Just looks older than it's actual years. Hard to explain. I'll try to get a photo downloaded. It really is best described as "pre-distressed." There definately is a rougher grain showing than the typical baby-butt-smooth FQHH shown on FL, but then most of the pics folks post are of new aquistions.

Fiver64

Practically Family
photos

OK....... I tried photobucket and here are some photos. Obviously, the flash is causing some shine to various areas. I must be dense as I can see no "mottling" on this jacket!

Aero3.jpg

Aero2.jpg

Aero1.jpg

Gustav

New in Town
He means the graining. It's the vintage FQH, or 'mottled' if you prefer. it's tumbled and that brings up the grain a lot.

Great jacket BTW, well done!

Fiver64

Practically Family
....at last!

Thanks, Gustav! That makes sense. I love the "beat" look of the jacket. Needs a bit more wearing though. I can currently stand it it the corner by itself!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou