Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Enlarging a Crown?

Well, you can take the hat apart and reblock the body on a taller block, but you'd be giving up some brim width in the process. And that process itself is quite involved and perhaps more trouble and expense than would be justified.

But if you just wish to RECREASE the crown to give it more height, well, that would be less involved, but how much more height you might get out of it is again limited by the height of the crown when it's "open," with its existing crease pushed out. And how successful that recrease might be depends on how "set" the existing crease is. But you can reblock a hat with the sweatband and ribbon, etc., left in place, to alter its profile and to smooth out the old crease lines, but you won't get any additional open height out of it by doing that alone.

liten

One of the Regulars
Do you think there is a way to enlarge a fedora crown? I have a 3 1/2 inch crown I'd like to make a larger size in height.

no you cant? beleive me ive tryed, ive wrecked a couple of hats trying, you might if your very lcareful get about 1/4 inch by steaming it , but thats your lot, buy a hat with a higher crown

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
As Tony wrote, it can be done, if you are willing to sacrifice some brim width. It would have to be done by someone, who works with hats, and it will probably be too expensive to be interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart