Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Entrances and Exits

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Hello all!

Was just wondering what your favourite entrances and exits are. For example, three of mine:

1. Harry Lime (Orson Welles) in The Third Man - that scene in the doorway - wow, I just watch it over and over!

2. Grace Kelly in Rear Window, sneaking up on a sleeping Jimmy Stewart.

3. Marilyn Monroe sliding down a firemans pole in Let's Make Love (although IMHO the movie goes downhill from there!)

I can't think of any memorable exits right now, but I'm certain you all will come up with loads!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Myrna Loy in the first Thin Man. She comes stumbling into a hotel, elegantly dressed, trying to carry a mountain of shopping boxes and being dragged by Asta!

Best entrance ever! :)

Best exit:

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." And he just... walks... out of her... life.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
scotrace said:
Best exit:

"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." And he just... walks... out of her... life.

:eusa_doh: See, I couldn't even remember that one. Gosh I'm dumb.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Best entry:
...Yossarian walks out in the sun, throws away his pilotwings and gets stabbed by a woman disguised as a gardene....Catch 22.
It's actually almost the end of the movie, used as the start. What a book - what a movie!:eusa_clap

Best exit:
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid ????

Steve

Practically Family
I'm no expert as to the best, but as far as entrances go, let's not forget Errol Flynn busting into Claude Raines' court with a deer on his back in the Adventures of Robin Hood.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
ENTRANCES

One of the most famous entrances in movie history, and one of my favorites, had to be Garbo in Anna Christie, when she saunters in to a bar and says in that wonderful accented voice, "Gimme viskey." No one knew if her career would be ruined by the talkies and that particular film was her first talkie. Once audiences heard that memorable voice, her career in talkies was set.

I also agree with Harry Lime's face in the doorway, in The Third Man, that was a great entrance, and for a man who was supposed to be dead. Wow...

How about the first time you get a glimpse of King Kong? It might seem campy now, but the original scared the daylights out of my mother when she was a little girl. Always, a delayed entrance is exciting, especially when it's something Big and Scary. Gojira, too.

EXITS

Some of the best exists have been the end of scary movies, where something happens that makes you jump half-way out of your chair. The end of Carrie with the grave grab, or, along the same line, the hand popping out of the water in Deliverance.

I liked the end of El Cid where they utilized his dead body, propped it on a horse and sent it out to route the Moors.

Another Heston film, Planet of the Apes. When he is riding on the beach and sees, as do we, a fallen, shattered Statue of Liberty and realizes what planet he is on.

The end of Blowup, where the photographer walks past the mimes playing tennis without rackets or tennis balls, throws back an imaginary ball to them when it "goes" over the fence, then walks off into the park (this is during the credit rolls when most people get up and leave the theatre) and then, he disappears -- just like everything else that happened during the film, including the murder he couldn't prove.

I could go on and on, and probably will....

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
OK, here's another exit fave: Dietrich, at the end of Morocco, throwing away her career and a rich man (Adolph Menjou), walking out of the fort and into the desert, following the divine Gary Cooper and the Foreign Legion.

And who could blame her?

karol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Tom Powers (James Cagney)'s exit in Public Enemy -- beaten to death, eyes fixed open, trussed up with rope, toppling into his poor old Irish mama's doorway like a fallen tree. One of the most unforgettable images in '30s cinema.

jazzzbaby

One of the Regulars
One exit that comes to mind is in "Bringing Up Baby" with Katherine Hepburn & Cary Grant. It ends with Kate's character climbing up a large dinosaur skeleton and they kiss as the fossils collapse.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
Tom Powers (James Cagney)'s exit in Public Enemy -- beaten to death, eyes fixed open, trussed up with rope, toppling into his poor old Irish mama's doorway like a fallen tree. One of the most unforgettable images in '30s cinema.

Yes!!! What an ending!!! Must be one of my favorites ever! "The Public Enemy" the movie that made a super star out of James Cagney. And don't forget in that same movie, that incredible scene where Mae Clarke has a grapefruit twisted into her face!!!!! :) Oh boy, why can't they make them like that anymore?

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
K.D. Lightner said:
ENTRANCES

One of the most famous entrances in movie history, and one of my favorites, had to be Garbo in Anna Christie, when she saunters in to a bar and says in that wonderful accented voice, "Gimme viskey." No one knew if her career would be ruined by the talkies and that particular film was her first talkie. Once audiences heard that memorable voice, her career in talkies was set.

Exactly - It was a total make-or-break moment for her career in American film, and one of the most, if not THE most anticipated moments in film history before or since. "Gif me a viskey, ginger ale on the side...and don't be stingy, baby."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24