Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Epic hat destruction

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I'm sad to say that one of my hats got into an accident last weekend. The hat in question was an Akubra Balmoral and it flew off my head during this descent at an amusement park (stupid mistake to wear it in the first place when I had to protect both my daughter and my hat as well as hold onto the craft during that slide...):

tprscandidivv2466_298.jpg

I hope the image shows...

The hat got soaked thoroughly and was consequently driven over by half a dozen of those "logs" before one of the technical staff came and fished it out with a stick with a spiky thing at its end. In short, it was a pile of mush when I got my hands back on it. And it got soaked again when I washed off most of the dirt it had accumulated in the water and started reshaping it. I did not manage to restore it completely, but perhaps it will serve as a backyard/adventure hat... It is also a bit floppier than it used to be.

poor_balmoral.jpg

In the image you can see the result of the crushing action at the back of the crown. It is less visible in the front, but the brim is rather uneven all around...

Already placed and order for a replacement, as the Balmoral is one of my favourite hats.

On the positive side, you now have a hat you can wear when you don't want to risk damaging one of your other hats...like the next time you visit that amusement park. ;)

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
I must say that I felt miserable for quite a while after the accident as I tried to reshape it and restore it as much as I could. But, yes, at least I now have a hat I can use without fear in all sorts of situations! :)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Look on the bright side:You now have a hat with "character" and a story of how it was acquired. I once had a Borso fly off my head into the Chicago River, never to be seen again. I've got a
story but no hat...:(

Geldoc

One of the Regulars
I agree that this hat now has "character." You can smooth the brim by using a steam iron. Start with medium temperature. Frankly, I've never had problems going to maximum temperature, but that's at the US voltage of 120. You can also blow steam over the crown, and try to smooth it (without actually resorting to a reblocking process).
Good luck.

Wolfwood

A-List Customer
You can smooth the brim by using a steam iron. Start with medium temperature. Frankly, I've never had problems going to maximum temperature, but that's at the US voltage of 120.
I had thought that method only applicable to felt hats, but perhaps I was mistaken?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner