Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Eragon

GOK

One Too Many
Not quite as dire as I expected...but almost!

Strong points; baby dragon (uber cute), Jeremy Irons (phwoarr!), Robert Carlyle (also phwoarr in a very evil way!).

Weak points; if you've seen Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, you have absolutely no need to see Eragon as it is is blatantly a mix of the two. Every character in the film could easily transpose into either or both of the other two. Obviously there are going to be sequels and I'm guessing that the stories will pan out very predictably. And I didn't need the Force to tell me that!

SFX; so so - nothing special of note other than the dragon is nicely avian as opposed to completely reptilian.

Really, really rubbish stuff; the costuming...esp. the Varden. Oh dear gods, what were they thinking? Oh, and the pseudo native american thing going on with the Leia/Arwen/Arya character (clearly Cate Blanchett was too old for this role, so a younger looky-likey was cast!). Look out for the dragon armour that Eragon/Luke Skywalker is shown...it is completely different to what is actually worn by Saphira!

Incredulity award; goes to the casting person that decided Joss Stone would be suitable for anything other than looking like a blinged-up chav. Bad, very bad indeed.

Overall; great for anyone under the age of about 12 who has never seen LotR or SW! Might have been better if more of the book had been included...but I doubt it. :(

photobyalan

A-List Customer
When I first saw the name of this movie on the trailer, I did a double-take. I found it somewhat distasteful that the author of the novel could not come up with a title that didn't sound so much like a major character from Tolkien's much better known stories, especially considering the similarity of the subject matter.

GOK

One Too Many
photobyalan said:
When I first saw the name of this movie on the trailer, I did a double-take. I found it somewhat distasteful that the author of the novel could not come up with a title that didn't sound so much like a major character from Tolkien's much better known stories, especially considering the similarity of the subject matter.

I know what you mean - I kept calling it variously Eragorn or Aragon! lol

GOK

One Too Many
Was he only 16? I wouldn't be surprised, given the lack of imagination! Daisy, if he is, then you must be right because there doesn't appear to be a scrap of originality in the story, although I admit, I've not read the book.

ETA: I just googled Paolini and yes, he wrote both Eragon and the sequel between graduating (didn't know home-schooled kids could do that) and going to college. It seems he was between 15 and 16 at the time. His parents published the books themselves.

Feraud

Bartender
Matthew Dalton said:
It's all been done regardless. If something appears original it is most likely because we're ignorant of its predecessors.
True.

My 12 year old started reading Eragon and disliked it. I was surprised because he rarely drops a book like he did this one. He is interested in seeing the movie. Perhaps a good dose of special effect can help a lackluster story.
:)

Sunny

One Too Many
GOK said:
ETA: I just googled Paolini and yes, he wrote both Eragon and the sequel between graduating (didn't know home-schooled kids could do that) and going to college. It seems he was between 15 and 16 at the time. His parents published the books themselves.
:eek:fftopic: It's pretty much up to the parents and the child when graduation is. I don't think it's a very good idea to graduate early, unless all the high school math and science really is completed in time. I was homeschooled all 13 years and graduated just on time. ;)

That said, I haven't read Eragon and have no particular desire to do so. I've loved Middle-earth too long to risk however much of a travesty it is. :p That said, a number of my friends have read it as well and their reviews, while not glowing, aren't too bad. Like GOK said, I think it'd be fine for those who've never been introduced to either Tolkien or Star Wars. A little friend of mine enjoyed it very much when her family was reading it aloud. :)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Eugh. I find it most upsetting that some kid could go and watch Star Wars and Lord of the rings, rip them off thoroughly and make so much money out of it. I mean, good luck to him, he's obviously made a killing out of it, but shame on him for the way he has done it, by plagiarising others' work. I quote from another website:

"Read the following plot summary:

A boy of foggy origins lives with his uncle in a remote place of a vast empire headed by an evil Emperor and his right hand man, who was once prominent in an ancient order of guardians with mystical powers.

Through fate or luck, depending on your point of view, this boy comes into the possession of an object vital to a rebellion against the Empire; this object was inadvertently sent to him by a princess in the rebellion, who had attempted to send said object to an old man who once belonged to the same order of guardians as the Emperor’s right-hand man.

This boy seeks the old man to learn of the ways of this ancient order, but eventually has to return to his uncle’s farm, which, the boy finds, has been destroyed by fire, and his uncle killed. The boy then sets off with the old hermit, who also gives him a sword which belonged to his father. As they travel, they train. The boy meets up with a rogue who is full of surprises, but turns out to be fiercely loyal, for all his proclaimed selfishness. The boy also begins "seeing" a beautiful woman imprisoned and in need of help.

The boy decides that he needs to rescue her, even though he doesn't know her; further, he thinks of her only as beautiful (Luke's first words are, "Who is she? She's beautiful?" Eragon can't stop thinking about her beauty). Long story short, the old hermit dies to protect the boy, the boy and the rogue help the beautiful damsel escape.

They then set off to the rebellion to give important information and return the object which the princess had sent the boy. They were followed by the Empire, and prepare for a giant battle that will either save the rebellion or annihilate them.

The boy proves his worth with heroics during the battle, but his crowning achievement is his destruction of a noun of much power that has the ability to destroy lots of things. The boy is aided in this by one of his friends, who arrives at precisely the right moment.
The boy is lauded a hero.

The boy has a hallucination of a powerful master who can teach him more of the ancient order. The boy travels to the powerful master to learn the ways of the ancient order's mystical power. While there, he grows very powerful. While he is away, the Rebellion regroups in a new area.

Just when the boy is on a roll with his training, and has grown very powerful, he has a vision of his friends in great danger. He decides he must go to help them. His master warns him not to go. The boy promises that he will return. He leaves.

He finds his friends just in time and is able to distract the enemy so that his friends will remain safe. He finds out that his father was the right-hand man of the Emperor--his father was the one who betrayed the ancient order and helped kill them.

The boy is shocked and ultimately defeated, but not killed. He finds out that someone dear to him has been taken by evil people, and promises to find this person.

Now, is that the plot of Inheritance, or StarWars?"

He also takes actual dialogue from Star Wars. Shocking.

Feraud

Bartender
It sounds like my screenplay about a kid dragged kicking and screaming from his family, and favorite sled "carnation". He grows up to be a successful magazine tyrant. I plan to tell the story in flashback, direct, and star in it myself.
;)

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
I must admit that neither Lord of the Ring or Harry Potter got me.
I fell asleep at the first Lord of the Ring...and left after half an hour in Harry Potter I. So another one...???What is wrong with me????[huh]

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
Thanks, Fleur De Guerre, for posting that summary! I was debating whether or not to go see this film, and now I know from that I don't want to go anywhere near it, any more than I wanted to go near the book.

GOK

One Too Many
Matthew, have you not seen Wyrd Sisters, Soul Music or The Hogfather? The first two are animated and brilliant! I've also seen Wyrd Sisters performed by a Shakespearian troupe - it was amazing! The Hogfather is live-action and stunning. Marc Warren as Mr Teatime is superb and Michelle Dockery is perfect as Susan Sto Helit.

Spitfire - you didn't like Harry Potter? :eek: lol
Granted, the films are not nearly as good as the books but they're still (IMO), pretty fab. I can't wait for the next one (and the final book). I'm with you on Lord of the Rings though - can't stand the films or the books. **hides from all the LotR fans**

Matthew Dalton

A-List Customer
I saw the first two, I didn't realise Hogfather was live-action. It hasn't made it over here yet as far as I know. We do have a copy coming now, actually. I would have loved to of seen that Wyrd Sisters production!

The real Henry

Practically Family
I just had to see film with some friends, because the girls who wanted to watch it were in the majority!

So I sat down, the movie began and after the first scenes and spoken sentences I said to myself: 'Man! How are you going to outlive this!':eek:

In other words I totally disliked the film!;)

Regards,
Henrik

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Yes GOK, I am totally bored with science fiction films! :eek: Fell aslep during Spaceodysse 2001. :eek: Same goes for socalled adventurefilms where people or objects can fly through the air (without an aeroplane).:rage:
And tales of kingdoms lost to trolls, dragons and fair princesses etc.etc are just too ridicolous. I am grown up [huh] ...sorry.
Besides that, I love a good movie!

GOK

One Too Many
Spitfire said:
Yes GOK, I am totally bored with science fiction films! :eek: Fell aslep during Spaceodysse 2001. :eek: Same goes for socalled adventurefilms where people or objects can fly through the air (without an aeroplane).:rage:
And tales of kingdoms lost to trolls, dragons and fair princesses etc.etc are just too ridicolous. I am grown up [huh] ...sorry.
Besides that, I love a good movie!

I didn't get past the first 15 minutes of 2001 - I was bored, bored, bored! As a rule, I'm not a fan of the fantasy genre but every so often, something comes along that grabs my attention. I suspect that had I not been teaching at the time and had a son that got into it, Harry Potter would have completely passed me by!

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting Beowulf....but I am hoping the film stays faithful to the poem and does not pander to modern sensibilities or ideas of heroism. I'm looking forward to seeing what they do with Grendel and his mother! :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany