Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Esquire’s Complete Golden Age Illustrations:

Flanderian

Practically Family
Cuffed trousers with a stroller! Shocking, I say! Avert your eyes!

;):)
View attachment 264046

Sharp eyed!

Conventions can be different in different eras, but since you point it out, I am surprised also. Though the mode, which in America during the era was most commonly referred to as semi-formal day wear, is controversial both as to the correct term to apply, and whether it is actually an understood separate level of formality on a level with, for example, white tie and tails as formal evening wear.

So I sought other illustrated examples, but they still left me uncertain, as the illustrations may, or may not, actually depict cuffs. As seen below.

Esq043706.jpg

Esq043808a.jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
Lost in translation! Goofed when assigning a file name to the illustration below for my archive. It may be from the March 1935 issue of Esquire, but it ended up in no man's land. And as it's quite nice, I offer this Leslie Saalburg illustration here.

Esq0335-01.jpg

Sure, sure the suit is nice, but the luggage is even cooler. Love all the trunks and cases (and their hardware). The Gladstone lower right would be my first choice. Heck, I even like the rivets on the ship. I do like that he's wearing snuff suede shoes with his marine blue suit.
Esq073901.jpg

Mohair is not my first thought for a summer material, but maybe with the right weave it is, as argued here.
Esq073903.jpg

"...this glorified poncho is really a practical, as well as fetching, item of beachwear..." - uh huh, sure, okay, you go with that.
Esq083902 (2).jpg

Flanderian

Practically Family
Sure, sure the suit is nice, but the luggage is even cooler. Love all the trunks and cases (and their hardware). The Gladstone lower right would be my first choice. Heck, I even like the rivets on the ship. I do like that he's wearing snuff suede shoes with his marine blue suit.
View attachment 264802

Mohair is not my first thought for a summer material, but maybe with the right weave it is, as argued here.
View attachment 264803

"...this glorified poncho is really a practical, as well as fetching, item of beachwear..." - uh huh, sure, okay, you go with that.
View attachment 264804

Upon seeing those fellows aboard a train, I was immediately reminded of your fondness for rail travel.

I share your sentiments concerning mohair; looks great, resists wrinkling, wears like iron, but is itchy as heck!

Last edited:

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Is it just me or are you guys also getting strong early 60's vibes from a lot of these illustrations from 1938/39?
Plenty of rather narrow trousers, boxy cuts, double vents, short and slim lapels, stingy hats and caps, short overcoats... particularly the semi-sports, campus and country combinations.

The fashion-forward crowd of 1939 was apparently foreshadowing the general style of 20 years later.

Flanderian

Practically Family
Brogues with a tailcoat? I don’t believe I’ve seen that recommendation before.
View attachment 265135

Well, if it was good enough for George VI, I guess it'll have to be good enough for me! ;)

Is it just me or are you guys also getting strong early 60's vibes from a lot of these illustrations from 1938/39?
Plenty of rather narrow trousers, boxy cuts, double vents, short and slim lapels, stingy hats and caps, short overcoats... particularly the semi-sports, campus and country combinations.

The fashion-forward crowd of 1939 was apparently foreshadowing the general style of 20 years later.

Things have changed by '39, but I don't know if it is very comparable to the early '60's in the U.S., the era in which I first attempted dressing like an adult. I think any similarity is more the product of the vagaries of the illustrations and different cuts for different purposes. While a traditional riding jacket was snuggly fitted and shaped, other garments for what was then termed sport would often be cut fuller and boxier as compared to a more fitted business suit.

Both lapels and trousers of the period were still quite full, and far more so than the sometimes 1" or 1 1/4" lapels of the early 60's. All the illustrators, but Fellows most of all, routinely exaggerated figures to create their aesthetic ideal. His male physiques might be generalized as 7' tall men with 45" inseams, on whom any trousers will look narrow.

Another aspect of the fashionable cut of the era was that the jacket shoulders were all well extended, though lightly padded. Proportionately, the lapel will look comparatively narrower. Fashionable U.S. jackets of the early '60's featured narrower, "natural shoulders," whose aesthetic paradigm was pared down modernity. A sartorial analog to the architecture of Mies van der Rohe.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider