Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Estate sale?

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Auctions can be great! Especially as you will probably be interested in the things (clothes, accessories) that the antique dealers will be more likely to pass on (they tend to go more for the decorative collectibles and art).

Usually you get to look through the stuff, which is sometimes grouped in lots, and then you bid on a lot.

I live very near one of the major auction houses in the Bay Area, and sometimes get great stuff there for very little. And I know that Warbaby has found amazing things too, he's quite the auction buff.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
MarieAnne said:
Bargains/bargaining can bring out the worst in people. I love Boxing Day but sometimes I feel like I should be wearing hockey pads. I remember a big sale once, it was for T-Fal; people were actually trampled.

I never had that experience, or anything like it, at estate sales.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
ShoreRoadLady said:
I guess it is a little weird at that. I love estate sales, but maybe that's because I feel like I'm "rescuing" the things I buy from some potentially horrible fate. :) Ultimately it's the heirs' choice as to what goes into the sale and what doesn't. Sometimes it's sad to see so many personal things in sale, but I try to remember that sometimes a person just has so much stuff once they die that their heirs may not be able to keep it all. They've probably (hopefully) gone through already and picked out the things that they want to keep. At least, instead of dumping it (not unheard of :eek:) they're giving people like us a chance to give it life again. I think that's a good thing. :)
Exactly the way I feel! In fact, part of what makes old stuff so cool to me is the past lives- people who have had it and the times they have seen. Perhaps it's the romantic in me. I actually have gone to estate sales which are run by families as well- and it was sad to see them part with some things- yearbooks, scrapbooks, etc. I wish we had such things in my family to hold on to! It's not only finding things inexpensively which is the draw for the estate sales for me. I think it's always kind of an adventure because you never know what the place will look like, the things you'll find (both funny and wonderful) or the interesting characters you might meet!

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
Oooohh. I love estate sales. I know it feels a little weird at first to go through someone's home but I think that adds to the allure, at least for me. I'm nosey and like to know about people so seeing their environment helps paint a bit of a picture. Some sales I've been to, have certain items that aren't for sale and those things are blocked off or marked. Otherwise it's a very polite free-for-all from what I've seen and there are some great deals to be had, especially on 66% off day!!! :D

sixsexsix

Practically Family
MarieAnne, as a fellow Ontarian I recommend checking craigslist, the pennysaver, local newspapers (toronto star, ottawa citizen, etc wherever you are), this place, and this one.

happy hunting!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Craig's list is also a great place to find estate sales. I go to the garage sale section, and then search for the word "estate".

If you're new to this, be aware, these sales can be dirty and dusty. It can involve climbing stairs up to the attic and down to the basement. You may be digging through boxes and jumping over piles of debris. I've even had the power go out when I was in a basement once.:eek: Be prepared and dress accordingly.

It's very helpful to keep a measuring tape in your pocket or purse. I was also glad to have a flashlight in the car that day the power went out. It allowed me to keep shopping when the lights were out. :D A pocket mirror can be useful. Usually you can find a mirror to check out what a hat looks like on, but not always. You may also want a box in your car. You can carry your treasures around in it, or keep them from sliding around the trunk on the way home.

If you haven't done this before, should also know that you won't always hit pay-dirt. I've had stretches where I've gone to 2 or more sales a week and not found anything I wanted for over a month. Once you get bitten by the bug you'll love it, but it's a craps shoot.

Prices vary wildly. I've seen things priced as high as in an antique store or vintage clothing store, and I've seen things cheaper than thrift stores. Sales geared at making money and run by professionals have a greater likelihood of being pricey than those run by family that just want stuff gone.
These are great places to find vintage kitchen wares almost free. Furniture from the 20th century tends to be a good deal. I've had the most luck with gloves and clip/screw earrings. I have not had much luck with patterns at these, but I have seen lots of sewing odds and ends like buttons, zippers, thread etc. And don't forget to take a peek at the books, some of my vintage sewing books were found that way!

For old clothes, especially any wools or anything with fur or feathers, look them over carefully for signs of moth or carpet beetle infestations. Old clothes may or may not have been stored well. If there are signs, an afternoon in the sunshine (make sure you turn it and expose all the seams and inside pockets too), a day or two in a freezer, or a good professional cleaning should do the trick. Just don't bring them in the house before doing this. You don't want the critters dining on your collection!!:eek:

As for squeamishness, I will admit to occasionally feeling a little vulture-esque. I also will sometimes feel a little sad, especially when I see personal items like pictures, yearbooks and scrapbooks for sale. When I feel this way I try to remember that I am helping a family by providing resources and removing unwanted stuff, and that I will take good care of their loved one's belongings. This stuff has to go somewhere, and I am going to enjoy it and take good care of it. Better than going to the landfill. But, if you feel an occasional twinge, don't worry, it isn't weird.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
That was great, Joie de Vive!
I just roll out of bed and throw on jeans and a t shirt and sneakers, usually. Estate sales are not an occasion to get dolled up. lol

texasgirl

One Too Many
Around here, everyone uses the word "estate sale"- even just garage sales and yard sales. It's quite annoying. I think I've only been to one true estate sale, and I've probably stopped at 20+. They think, I guess, they'll get more people with the words "estate" than "garage"

sixsexsix

Practically Family
estate sale and content sale are pretty interchangeable here, but garage/yard sale are completely different.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Lauren said:
That was great, Joie de Vive!
I just roll out of bed and throw on jeans and a t shirt and sneakers, usually. Estate sales are not an occasion to get dolled up. lol

Thank you Lauren!

I'll admit I have stopped at a sale on the way home from church once or twice. I don't recommend it.. lol ;)

exquisitebones

A-List Customer
i love estate sales, I get tons of sewing patterns at them

But we have a HUGGGGGGGE vintage market here, so I have to battle dealers, and they are almost always Nasty mean. arrrgh :rage:

But yeah, church rummage sales are often a great place to find hidden gems. i love church sales!

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
my one estate sale my mother and I attended, in addition to buying a copper pot that said Utensils not TEA as the auctioneer SAID:rolleyes: I got a LOVELY antique spooner with sugar tongs and some mismatched spoons, the bowl was cracked, but hey...it's so pretty and still serviceable!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24