Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etiquette books

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Braxton36 said:
Another Esquire book that is truly a riot is Things A Man Should Know - about style by Scott Omelianuk and Ted Allen. It came out in '99.

Here's an example:

"Cowboy boots: no

Cowboy hats: no

Cowboy shirts: probably not

Large belt buckles: only if you're a cowboy

P.S. Don't leave that bolo tie in your dresser drawer.

You could die.

Somebody could find it."

I was given a comp copy of that earlier in the year - it had me in stiches!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Ben Nighthorse Campbell, formerly a U.S. senator from Colorado, wore a bolo and other cowboy garb. But I think he was also a rancher. I think cowboy garb is fine if you ARE a cowboy, rancher, bull rider, or something along those lines. Otherwise, I think it's best left for Halloween.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Paisley said:
Ben Nighthorse Campbell, formerly a U.S. senator from Colorado, wore a bolo and other cowboy garb. But I think he was also a rancher. I think cowboy garb is fine if you ARE a cowboy, rancher, bull rider, or something along those lines. Otherwise, I think it's best left for Halloween.

I bet it would not be hard to find people with the thought, "Unless you ARE a 1930's whipcracking archeologist..." :p

Caledonia

Practically Family
Funny you should bring that up. I'm a lot older than I look! :p But, this is getting serious. Everytime I read something I have to spend money. Now I "neeeed" etiquette books and my fashion etiquette ones just aren't enough. So helloooo Misses Emily and Manners. I've got Debrett's so that's a start, and I believe there's something called Chap out there, for the chaps, but haven't seen it so don't know what it might be like. Oh well, where's the credit card. Again.....

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I bet it would not be hard to find people with the thought, "Unless you ARE a 1930's whipcracking archeologist..." :p

OK. Let's say, at the absolute minimum, "Unless you look and feel at home in it." I saw a picture of New York's mayor in a cowboy hat. He looked like he was wearing a lampshade.

On the other hand, I know a tall, blond, blue-eyed Californian who sometimes wears a Chinese tunic. It was a gift from his students when he lived in the Far East, so he wears it with some authority. He looks right at home in it.

Camille

Familiar Face
I just adore Emily Post.

Her constant talk about "New Yorkers" and them not being part of Best Society really provoked a few smiles.

But seriously, as I said, I adore Emily Post.

The most vulgar slang is scarcely worse than the attempted elegance which those unused to good society imagine to be the evidence of cultivation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart