Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etsy

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
ZombieGirl said:
Shoes can be really tricky... The pair I just bought off Etsy were rather too small (I wore 'em anyway, cuz I didn't have anything else to wear) but I take full responsibility for that. The seller gave me the measurement, I wasn't 100% they'd fit but I took the risk and bought them anyway. You'd think that people would realize that they have some responsibility to understand certain things are a risk no matter what you do, in this case, shoes.
I see it that way too. Shoes untried are always a risk. I have even bought shoes that I thought fit fine but after walking around for a few hours realized they were actually torture devices:eusa_doh:

maisie

Practically Family
Land-O-LakesGal said:
I see it that way too. Shoes untried are always a risk. I have even bought shoes that I thought fit fine but after walking around for a few hours realized they were actually torture devices:eusa_doh:

Tell me about it! Blisters, rubbing and with vintage shoes if they've been worn by some one with a 'weird' swagger lol, the shoes takes on a rather peculiar shape!
I bought one pair a while back, fitted perfect, wore them for about 10minutes and they were killing me, the previous owner obviously walk outwards on the shoes and they were killing my ankles and my feet were on an angle! Very strange!
However I think with any vintage you've gotta have a bit of leaway, I have had shoes that lookinng at the measurements should fit perfectly, but they haven't, same with clothes... I don't know why but I just accept this and relist it! Its not the sellers fault just one of those things... I sell lots of vintage shoes, so just try to give the most accurate measurement as possible and i think thats all you can do....

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
Vintage shoes are one of my most stressful items. I am incredibly careful (and incredibly good) at measuring them, but I always worry about potentional buyers. And so, often times shoes don't get listed very quickly, because I know that they may potentially be troublesome. That said, out of the many MANY pairs of shoes I've sold, I've only had two customers tell me that in the end, they didn't fit, and one of those was because they assumed my sizes were European. (?)

When I'm going to buy a pair of shoes online (I'm a 9.5, I kinda have to) I compare the measurements with my MOST SIMILAR pair. I even try to buy by brand a little. Vintage Tweedies almost always fit me, for example. (I heart Tweedies.)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Just a quick question ladies - has anyone ever sold something on Etsy and found it a week or so later for sale again - this time at an infinitely higher price? I don't think there are any rules against this but I was just wondering if anyone has experienced this previously?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Sort of, but not quite...

I was bidding on an ebay dress, price was still low, but somebody obviously wanted it too. Since I had just gotten a different dream dress, I figured I'd be good hearted and let the person have it...the auction ended around $67 and then the same dress popped up all pressed and perfectly displayed in an Etsy shop for over $300. I was a retail manager for years so I embrace markup, but felt like a schmuck for thinking I was being nice to the end wearer.

I did see once where somebody was reselling an item and even asked and received permission to use the original sellers pictures to advertise it again. So, I guess it happens.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Sort of, but not quite...

I was bidding on an ebay dress, price was still low, but somebody obviously wanted it too. Since I had just gotten a different dream dress, I figured I'd be good hearted and let the person have it...the auction ended around $67 and then the same dress popped up all pressed and perfectly displayed in an Etsy shop for over $300. I was a retail manager for years so I embrace markup, but felt like a schmuck for thinking I was being nice to the end wearer.

I did see once where somebody was reselling an item and even asked and received permission to use the original sellers pictures to advertise it again. So, I guess it happens.

It was the first item that I sold and for what I feel was a very reasonable amount - what I think it was pretty much worth anyway ($40) and it's now on sale again at $420! I know that they can do what they please with it after buying it off me but I was still quite shocked....

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No rule. You can do whatever you want with something when you buy it. A lot of people buy to resell because thats just how merchants work. Always has been.

It is a little crass not to give a waiting period, though. I remember that on eBay there was this pattern that I forgot to bid on and it only went for $1. Then a few days later it was listed for $30! It was funny if nothing else and as I recall the seller never sold it. Even took down the listing a few days later.

LD

Foofoogal

Banned
Miss GoLightly. I completely understand. Years ago I sold a Kenner doll in a polka dot bikini for $75.00 after consulting a brand new guide book for dolls. It happens. Knowledge is power. Another dealer bought it very fast. It was selling broke at the time on e bay for $2800.00 and up. I about fainted but since then do my homework.
I am currently running an auction that I have seen up to $375.00. It is so many variables to this vintage selling.
No way, no how can anyone ever, ever, ever know all things about all vintage. Ever.
In all honesty I do resell many things. Some just do not fit or I just do not like as much when they come in. Does not mean others will not go gaga over the thing.
I see it like a circular food chain. About 75% of vintage and antique selling is to other dealers. Over the years I have had many, many dealers save me stuff they think I like and can resell. A few though actually get mad when I walk in their shop and buy it and then sometimes tell them what it is. I am amazed. Joe blow could come in 10 minutes before and buy it from them for same price.
A family member told me once they overcharge me at a sale because they know I am a dealer and then proceeded to go to same place and sure enough they gave them a cheaper price.
One pet peeve after starting in the business in 1996 and a collector for years and years before that. I knew many older dealers. One of the ironclad rule in the business forever till about the last 8 years was that traditionally it was proper for a customer to ask for 10% and the dealer would be more than happy. Repeat customers generally would get 20% off or saving of the best items or a Christmas card or whatever.
Dealer to dealer the norm was always 20%.
Now the hardest part of the business is dealing with crazy, rude, lowball offers. Sometimes by other dealers to resell.
IMHO it is way out of hand. Now I have got something off my chest I have wanted to forever. Thank you.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Thanks ladies - worse things happen at sea and all that but I must admit that this has left a bad taste it my mouth - I was so delighted as it was my first sale and this has taken the sheen off it. As you say, LD, it is pretty crass to stick it up for sale so quickly - if I thought they had a least worn it once themselves (maybe to a fabulous party!) it would go down better.

Foofoofal - I am sorry to hear about your sale but like you said knowledge is power and this will all be a learning curve for me - swings and roundabouts too as they say! I was probably quite naive about the whole thing as I just figured that people like me buy to wear and would only sell on if they were bored of it, or it didn't fit or suit or whatever - not to try and increase their retirement fund!

Foofoogal

Banned
I understand Miss Golightly. I know it will not help much but you know I always love your items and taste. In the business it is what is called, "having a good eye."
So in a way it is a compliment to your good taste. Believe me when I say many a dealer has had to eat a few things they thought were winners also. It may take this other person a very long time to sell this item.
Like I said before there are many, many variables.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Miss Golightly sometimes ebay evens the odds when competing with dealers since in a sense the buyers helps set the prices by bidding against each other. I remember being shocked that one mod coat and dress set I had went for much bigger money than I would have expected I felt a little guilty the piece were really dirty and even though I listed that in my auction I almost wanted to dry clean them before mailing them. I also remember dealer byying a 40's suit that I had up and reselling it with my own pictures from my auction for 30 more dollars than she paid for it. I didn't mind the reselling so much as the using my pictures part.

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Here's a slightly off topic Etsy question...

Is there any reason two items I just purchased, can see in my "your etsy" area as purchased and have a receipt from Etsy and Paypal is still available for purchase? This was a quantity of one and the listing # for the so-called current itens is the same as what is referenced on my paypal receipt. Etsy is actually displaying both as available for sale and will let me put them in my basket again. It's been a while and two other items I purchased from a different seller are already down. What's going on?

I did convo the seller but should I "report item to Etsy"?

I have no idea if I actually got them or not!

Update: Crisis averted although stupidity still found me. There were TWO of the item and I thought it was a set. Duh! I still can't explain why it was showing the other item but anyhow, all 3 pieces are coming.

Last edited:

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I understand Miss Golightly. I know it will not help much but you know I always love your items and taste. In the business it is what is called, "having a good eye."
So in a way it is a compliment to your good taste. Believe me when I say many a dealer has had to eat a few things they thought were winners also. It may take this other person a very long time to sell this item.
Like I said before there are many, many variables.

Aw thanks Foofoogal - you have cheered me up - thank you! My husband saw how down in the mouth I was about the whole thing and came home with a beautiful bouquet of flowers - he's so good - but that's him all over!

Land-O-LakesGal - thanks - I know what you mean - some items will do better than expected and vice versa - that's the nature of the beast I suppose.

23SkidooWithYou - Congrats on your purchases - you'll have to post a photo when they arrive!

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
Thanks ladies - worse things happen at sea and all that but I must admit that this has left a bad taste it my mouth - I was so delighted as it was my first sale and this has taken the sheen off it. As you say, LD, it is pretty crass to stick it up for sale so quickly - if I thought they had a least worn it once themselves (maybe to a fabulous party!) it would go down better.

Do you think that maybe you are a little upset that you didn't get to sell it at that high of a price? Why else would a merchant care what his/her customer did with the merchandise after they bought it fair and square?

23SkidooWithYou

Practically Family
Do you think that maybe you are a little upset that you didn't get to sell it at that high of a price? Why else would a merchant care what his/her customer did with the merchandise after they bought it fair and square?

Just speaking in general terms, I could possibly see some circumstances where a merchant could be disturbed about a resale that has nothing to do with sour grapes or kicking themselves in hindsight. I think sometimes it has to do with integrity. I know I would feel bad if I sold something at an honest price and saw it marked up 10 times for no apparent reason (like rarity or collectibility or provenance, restoration, completion of a set, true value of the materials used eg a cz that turns out to be a diamond, etc). My reaction would have very little to do with my bank account but a lot to do with feeling I was somehow responsible for an honest buyer overpaying for the exact same item that I felt I charged for accordingly. Again, this would be based on a personal perspective of what I truly felt the item was worth. Personal perspective isn't something I can debate. It is what it is. If MissGoLightly feels blue over this turn-around, I'm going to trust her personal perspective and integrity have something to do with that. :)

I think there must also be a shift in mindset when one goes from a collector to a merchant. Realizing that you aren't responsible for what happens after an item travels beyond your original purchaser probably takes some getting used to. In the end, the market (buyer) will set the price and if there's somebody out there willing to pay $400 then that's exactly what will happen. It's pretty much a big ol' circle, huh? :)

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab

No - that is not the case - I don't expect that you know me but I am sorry that you feel the need to ask me this rather insulting question as that is not the kind of person I am at all - I'm not one bit upset that they are selling it at a higher price - if you check my shop you'll see that there is nothing exorbitantly priced as that's not how I do business. What bothered me - and which I think I was pretty clear about in my previous postings was that it was my first sale - I had the dress dry cleaned, wrapped beautifully and included a pair of vintage designer earrings that I thought would go wonderfullly well with it as a thank you. I had hoped that the buyer would wear the dress and love it - not go on to sell the second she received it for what I think is an unreasonable price. Even if she only wore it the once before selling it on - that's what is important to me.

Also I know the condition of the dress inside and out and I think she is grossly overcharging for it - she has it displayed beautifully but I would really feel for someone who paid such a huge sum for it and to me - judging by the condition - to my mind, the dress is not worth it.

I'm not a greedy seller - quite the contrary - I opened my shop because of my love for vintage and beautiful clothing and accessories - not to make vast sums of money (I don't think any of us expecting to come out with wads of cash in fairness) - and I hope that the people who buy from me love the clothes or whatever it is that they buy from me and then sell them on to someone else who might love them if they are done with the pieces.

These are the reasons - as a merchant - why I care what happens to what I sell. My shop is personal to me - not just a business.

I believe the above makes clear my feelings on the matter.

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
Oh Miss Golightly I so agree with you! I sell things only if they don't fit me and as Im a bit chunky that happens a lot! I really don't care what the person who buys it does with it but I just like to think they will love it as much as I did

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
23SkidooWithYou - thank you for your very kind words! I suppose so many things revolve around money these days that sometimes it's forgotten that people do lots of things out of sheer love for whatever it is they do.

KittyAnneMalloo - That's so nice to hear! Another thing that I love about selling vintage is the idea of one of my dresses being worn halfway across the world - like, who is wearing it, what city are they in and where have they gone to that evening - that really tickles me!

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
For one week only (16 Dec. to 23 Dec.) I am offering 15 percent off to Loungers who visit my Etsy shop, Wire9Vintage. Just type in fedoralounge as the coupon code. That's the name of this forum, no capitals or space.

Happy shopping!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot