Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etsy

Foofoogal

Banned
I am not sure if we are allowed to offer discounts at all here but you do have lovely hats.
One day I may get clarity on this here.
Welcome to the FL anyway.

Foofoogal

Banned
Sorry LD. Still not clear. Last page has 2 sales offers. Seems to conflict with the thread you posted.
I just wanted this new person to not get in trouble and feel welcome. She does have nice hats also BTW.
I also read thru lots of threads so not even sure where the one you posted is still. Is it in the Powder room?
Oops. considering it has 21 pages and I was the one who started it to begin with I guess I should peruse through it from time to time but I no longer sell at Etsy.

Last edited:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Seriously, Foofoo?

Post #117
We need to make sure everyone understands the sticky Etsy is only for a basic announcement that you have an Etsy site. Once you've posted it, please don't post again in that thread -- if you need to make changes, let us know and we can edit the original post.

We need to keep the Directory just that -- a quick, uncluttered reference tool that people can skim quickly to find the store they want.

Occasional announcements of upcoming special Etsy sales in the regular Etsy thread are fine -- but we urge everyone not to abuse this privilege. If you have something *special* to sell, feel free to announce it, but please don't use this thread for routine sales pitches. Abuse of this gesture will result in pruning or an axing all together of anyone being able to announce things.

There. Hope this helps.

LD

Foofoogal

Banned
So I am assuming other special sales at other venues can also be posted. As I sell at Tias, Ruby Lane and Ruby Plaza? as long as I don't abuse the privilege? I have always asked along these lines since being here for the record and don't think I have abused it.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
No.
This is an Etsy thread. This is for selling at Etsy. Not anywhere else. If you want advertise that you sell everywhere else, you need to have your status changed to vendor, and you need to talk with one of the head bartenders.

And dont make threads for all the different places you sell, they will be deleted.

LD

Foofoogal

Banned
I understand about the vendor status but is this not truly biased in favor of Etsy sellers?
Makes absolutely no sense. I can understand this being an Etsy solely thread though.
I am sure many of the members here sell on the other venues and/or at Etsy as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I am going to be blunt.
Ever since you joined this forum you have looked for every possible avenue to advertise your wares.
You had numerous store urls in your signature line, which you know is not allowed. Then when we made you change it, you started putting them in your posts and posting in various places in the lounge you never posted. Those were *so* fun to get rid of.

When you had an etsy store, you made this thread as a round about way to advertise your store. Now that you no longer have an etsy store, its 'unfair' that people can take advantage of this thread. You started a Ruby Lane/Plaza thread as a round about way to sell your store because you sell there. When people started asking you if you get a kickback from plugging the Plaza so hard, you left it alone.

The etsy directory thread, you posted in more than anyone saying things like "Ive changed my name", or "Ive done this or that" as a way to constantly keep your store at the top of the list. The whole scope of this is not clever or slick. Its exhausting.

Im tired of it. Seriously. Stop it. If you have a problem with this, take it up with a head bartender. Scotrace is more than willing to talk with you, again.
This is the end of this discussion.

LD

Foofoogal

Banned
You had numerous store urls in your signature line, which you know is not allowed. Then when we made you change it, you started putting them in your posts and posting in various places in the lounge you never posted.
I have no earthly idea what you are even talking about. You must have me mixed up with someone else.
I have my blog as my signature. Only when it was stated we can have live ebay links did I even remotely start suggesting my shops discreetly here and there only when someone was looking for something.
You are a moderator and I will respect that and just stay out of this room entirely.
I do not need FL to do my business but do like to share what I have learned along the way. Possibly as I help moderate The Haul on Auctionbytes I tend to go overboard.
I was simply trying to help a new person and somehow this got totally off track. I apologize.

Lusty Haze

New in Town
1940s& 50s Womens clothing and shoes for sale!
Hi all,

I'm having a clear out at the moment, so have listed (and will be listing!) lots of 1940s and 50s womens clothing on etsy!
Heres my shop link:

http://www.etsy.com/shop/1940sweetheart?ref=pr_shop

And if theres anything your interested in please feel free to make me an offer :).

Oh my word, I adore those black patent slingbacks! And they're my size! What's the lowest you'd take for them? I looooove them!! x

MissChloeCorville

Familiar Face
The Problem with Etsy!

Hey ladies, I was just on Etsy. I have to admit I am addicted to eBay I am on it most of the time. I know Etsy has been around for a while and every now and then I go on it. I find such cute things! But, the problem with Etsy is the...PRICES! My favorite era for dresses is the 1940's so I am always searching for my next treasure but I cannot find a dress on Etsy for under $100.00! Don't get me wrong if the dress is fancy and worth it, I'll pay but I refuse to spend that much for a simple cotton day dress! :(:( Does anyone else feel the same thing?- Chloe

Drappa

One Too Many
I think there are some good deals to be had on Etsy, it just takes some time to find them.
The thing that I don't like about it is the organisation of the site though. The search function could be improved vastly, and I wish they had the same "save search" option Ebay has, in which you receive an email to let you know if anything new from your favourites has been listed.
Also, I wish they would organise Favourites into Sold and Unsold, for better overview.

McVolke

New in Town
I too can find many beautiful things on etsy that are just way out of my price range or I feel like MissChloeCorville that sometimes the price for a cotton dress is much too high. On the other hand for the stuff that is handmade I understand I'm not only paying for the material but also the time and craftsmanship. As for the organization....I couldn't agree more with with you Drappa. I thought it was something to do with my lack of computer skills, glad I'm not alone.

KittyAnneMalloo

Familiar Face
As one of what seems to be a small group of Really plus size vintage loving gals I find it works the other way. Auctions on Ebay for very plus size 40's dresses seem to sky rocket, especially in Australia. I seee the same ebay user names betting me often as the prices escape my pocket. But the set prices on Etsy seem to offer me the chance of a bargin....I just have to be the first to find the right sizes.... I hope I made sence?

Lily Powers

Practically Family
I'm also a bit addicted to Etsy. One frustration I have is that some sellers list on both Etsy and eBay, with different pricing for the same garment. I'll guess that has something to do with the cost to the seller, relative on each site. And sizing! "Large to XLarge" for some means a 32" waist or a 27" inch waist. I wish they'd do away with sizing like that and just go by measurements.

Another frustration, sellers who have online and "real world" stores. The other day I convo'd an Etsy seller about an item, requesting a photo of a flaw she mentioned, but didn't picture. She was happy to do so, but then she had to email me a few hours later to say, sorry, that the item sold from her real shop.

Some Etsy sellers are also afflicted with the same ailment some eBay sellers are: they don't know or take time to research their items that they claim to be vintage. Still, I love to sift through photos and listings on Etsy like I'm relaxing with a magazine, and I've had some really nice online chats with a lot of creative and like-minded vintage lovers :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Don't get me wrong if the dress is fancy and worth it, I'll pay but I refuse to spend that much for a simple cotton day dress!

But that's not etsy's problem.
You want a 70+ year old dress for under 3 figures when they are becoming increasingly hard to find. House and day dresses are the *rarest* dresses to find during that time period because they often were used to the point of tattering. So to find one that is in good shape is ever more rare.

I get it, people don't want to pay tons, no one ever does, but to buy an 80 year old garment for $100 is pretty good in my opinion. People pay $100 for a new dress all the time. As a seller I hear this a lot and it frustrates me because I don't understand the gauge people are going by to determine what makes a dress 'too expensive'.

I think there is a difference between a bargain and a fair price. Sure I'd love to pay $40 for a 40s day dress, but I doubt that will happen. Id love it free, but I don't think that will happen either. I also think $180 for a day dress is steep, and I'd be leery, but Id consider $100 a fair price for the age/condition/fabric/notions/size all factored in.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy