Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Etsy

miss_smith

One of the Regulars
Some things I didn't mention before:
-I like how Etsy has a fixed fee for listing. I get so muddled with Ebay.
-Everythign looks prettier in an Etsy listing. My pictures look like crap in Ebay.
-With Ebay, a listing is done in a week (all I have patience for with Ebay!)

SayCici

Practically Family
Miss Bella Hell, it takes a lot of work, especially when there are other people doing the same thing you do. I'm just glad I'm not selling jewelry!

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Yes, it takes work and patience! I can't imagine trying to make a 'real' living through Etsy. For me, it's a nice supplemental place. My main selling is directly to clients, through boutiques, and at festivals.
I use Etsy as a kind of visual holding pen, both for my creations and my vintage stash.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
That first sale is a monumental stepping stone. People seem to pay attention to feedback and sales count, and until someone makes that step to buy from you, I find buyers tend to wait until a rep has been accumulated.

LD

zendy

A-List Customer
I make a living off Etsy, but I'm selling stuff that not that many people are selling. I have however started a new shop there where I've listed dresses and it's taking forever to get that first sale. Guess the market for dresses is just too flooded.

fuzzylizzie

One of the Regulars
I have an etsy store where I sell low end vintage as a fund raiser for an animal rescue group I'm involved with. I've been very happy with sales, but most of what I sell is very cheap, and it seems like etsy shoppers do love to sniff out a bargain.

I shop on etsy, but I do find the search to be hard. Most of what I've bought has been stuff I've stumbled across accidentally. I think the random nature of it is part of the appeal.

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
sixsexsix said:
I love etsy. I find the people better to deal with, and listing things is easy. I sell just old patterns that are not my size or vintage that doesn't fit me any more....I know I could probably make more money on ebay, but I *really* hate ebay. I hate their fee structure, and I dealing with buyers on ebay has often been a huge headache.

As a buyer, I appreciate the personal interaction you get on etsy, and just plain how nice people are! ;)

I agree with every word of this. I *hate* ebay so much I don't even have an account! I sometimes buy vintage magazines there, but under my husband's account. The last time I had an eBay account and sold stuff was probably 99/00 when it wasn't too, too bad. Nowadays, the people on eBay are, well, I can't say on here :D You should here my husband go on about them.

I literally started up my Etsy YESTERDAY and I've already made 3 sales. All very nice people and very smooth transactions. I'm mostly glad that my stuff is going to good homes. I've still got more and more to list! Mostly cheap stuff, too ;)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You know, actually siting links to the things that were *changed* would be very helpful. I just skimmed over their basic policies and I dont see anything out of the ordinary.

Do you have any actual content for this anger, that would be awesome :)

LD

lexismonkey

New in Town
I love etsy,

I started selling on ebay last year at this time and ended up getting ripped off 90% of the time. I hate the fact sellers milk people on shipping costs, people are total jerks, you are a complete slave to feedback, you know...all that stuff.
If you start your auctions too high you don't get bids, to low you don't get bids. Thats why I prefer etsy. Its just time and patience with etsy. And the posting an item once a day thing works, so do the showcase spots!

Just read the etsy forums and newsletters and you can get sales! :) works for me as I am a full time student!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Has anyone done an alchemy request before? I just got one for my hat no less, and Im curious as to how to charge for a custom.

Thanks,
LD

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
I haven't but generally when I do custom I charge actual cost of materials plus an hourly rate. If you guess how long it took you to make the hat- then add extra for resizing and fabric sourcing if you need to, that would be about it. I always undercut myself by time, though. Someone I worked with gave the advice- "When you quote someone custom think about how much time you think it will take and double it- cause it's always going to take twice as long as you think it will". Heh. Haven't done anything since then, but I'd be wary of quoting that much!
Oh yeah, and don't forget to figure in your etsy and paypal fees to cost!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Lauren said:
Someone I worked with gave the advice- "When you quote someone custom think about how much time you think it will take and double it- cause it's always going to take twice as long as you think it will". Heh.

Oh! Id never sell anything! lol

Thanks Lauren, this helps quite a bit. They are going by the price of the one I have in my store, which is made from materials I had on hand. The person has specific color requests, so I *have* to go fabric shopping. I know, tragedy :rolleyes:

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy