Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ever yearn for a vintage name?

Jerekson

One Too Many
An old hat box that I have has the name "Howard Eames" written on it pencil. Ever since getting that hat I have always thought that was the single coolest name I've ever heard. I've elaborated with that name so much since then, heck I've even created a fictional character after it. I should just change my name and be done with it...

Really makes me wonder what the guy was like.

64tonya

One of the Regulars
I'm a fan of Evelyn too :)

StaceFace said:
I've always wanted to be an Evelyn. My great-grandmother, who emigrated from France during WWI, was named Leona, and I don't think that would be too shabby, either. I guess Stacey will have to suffice :eusa_doh:
My Mom's best friend is French-Canadian and her Memere is my aunt Evelyn. Lovely...

64tonya

One of the Regulars
shortbow said:
Had an aunt down Texas way named Pina Mae Earp. Always thought that sounded kinda vintage.:D
Good one! Two classic old timey names with a unique twist :eusa_clap

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I've never thought about using another name, outside of an online username, and I still use my real name when signing a post.

I think my parents have names that were standard for the time they were born (father in '33 and mother in 34): Donald Raymond and Jewel Caroline, respectively.

When naming their kids, one would choose the first name and the other the middle, except for me: My father choose both of my names; Lee Sterling*. The criteria they used to choose our names can best be described as, well, random. They chose whatever name(s) popped into their heads and they both liked.

My siblings' names are:
Mark Allen ("Allen" being our paternal uncle's middle name)
Amy Caroline (mother's middle name)
Cherie Jean
Peggy (not short for Margaret) Ann
(Insert me here)
Eric Raymond (father's middle name)
Wendy (named from the young girl in Peter Pan) Marie.

I don't think any of us ever yearned for a different name. [huh]

*(See Above)

Miss Sis

One Too Many
I like my name, it is vintage enough but not common, so I don't want to be called something else, but I sometimes use my Nana's name if I am doing WW2 Living History.

She was Grace Stevenson before she married. I think it has a nice ring to it.

arthur

Suspended
I was named after my Grandfather so I guess thats vintage enough.Growing up I hated the name Arthur,but as I got older I really grew to like it and think it suits my personality.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Jerekson said:
An old hat box that I have has the name "Howard Eames" written on it pencil. Ever since getting that hat I have always thought that was the single coolest name I've ever heard. I've elaborated with that name so much since then, heck I've even created a fictional character after it. I should just change my name and be done with it...

Really makes me wonder what the guy was like.

I've had the same thoughts about the label in my favorite suit, which bears the elegantly mysterious name of Marcelle Milliat, New York. In reality she was probably some doughy flat-shoed seamstress in Brooklyn with pins in her mouth, but I 'd rather imagine her dominating high society from an exclusive table at the Rainbow Room...

I also thought my grandmother's name, Winona Patterson, would've been a perfect name for a Fitzgeraldian flapper -- except she was most definitely not one.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Hmmm...Marcelle & Howard or Howard & Marcelle? Either way, they sound like a charming couple.
"What do you think. Alexandra, shall we have the Eames over for cocktails ?"
" Certainly, Carter! What a perfectly lovely notion."

tuppence

Practically Family
It seems that then names of women are more subject to fashion, however. In the '80's and 90's popular female names included Minnie, Florence, Bessie, Ethel, Edna, Lillian and Mellie. By the 'teens, Helen, Margaret, Dorothy, Ruth, Mildred, Frances, Rose, and Evelyn were popular. In the 'twenties, Betty, Virginia, Doris, Jean, Marie, Shirley, Lois, Irene, and Gloria entered the scent, and in the 'thirties Barbara, Patricia, Nancy, Carol, Joyce, Marilyn, and Beverly were popular, while in the war years Sandra, Carolyn, Susan, and Janet were common.[/QUOTE]from VITANOLA

I have a grandmother named Florence,(Floss to my grandfather) another named Helen and another named Jean.
I have an auntie named Patricia(Pat) 2 Aunties named Susan and a sister named Carolyn.

They sure passed that baby name book around in my family

Brinybay

Practically Family
64tonya said:
Have any of you ever yearned for a vintage or era appropriate name? I know it is silly but somewhere along the way I decided on Hazel...I'm not sure why...I just feel like a Hazel. Oh come on, I know I'm not the only one...;)

That's my mother's name, Hazel. Dad also had a "vintage" name, Blaine. (I always thought Dad looked like Klaatu in this picture). You're also too young to remember the 1960s TV show "Hazel".

Come to think of it, Mom's sisters all have vintage names, Blanche, Ada, Irma, Lois. Her mother's name was Lorina.

If you feel like a "Hazel", can you cook like Mom used to?

But nah, I'm content with just "Greg".

Hazel and Blaine 1945.jpg

64tonya

One of the Regulars
If you feel like a "Hazel", can you cook like Mom used to?

Nice Pic! As for the cooking...Golly no, I'm way too healthy and a vegetarian to boot. I can appreciate good home cooking though :)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Sunday Rose? "What was Nicole thinking!!?"

Nicole Kidman has named her little baby "Sunday Rose" rather hillarious really, given that a few years back the Australian Lamb marketing board were running TV adds where a Nicole look alike was told just as she sat down to Lunch that "Tom Cruise was on the phone,"Nicole" had to decide between taking "Toms" call or Sunday "Roast lamb" with the family, if only in real life she had gone with the Lamb instead of the Ham

The press are already calling the little imp "Sunday roast"

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3u5JYzAT5t4

64tonya

One of the Regulars
BinkieBaumont said:
Nicole Kidman has named her little baby "Sunday Rose" rather hillarious really, given that a few years back the Australian Lamb marketing board were running TV adds where a Nicole look alike was told just as she sat down to Lunch that "Tom Cruise was on the phone,"Nicole" had to decide between taking "Toms" call or Sunday "Roast lamb" with the family, if only in real life she had gone with the Lamb instead of the Ham

The press are already calling the little imp "Sunday roast"

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=3u5JYzAT5t4
Case in point...Some fellow students were commenting today that celebs shouldn't be allowed to name their children anymore, I wonder why :rolleyes:

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
I have a paperweight from a '60s Lincoln Continental. I'm guessing that the original owner - whose name is on it - was born three or four decades earlier: Livonia Mare.

When I delivered furniture, I'd see the name of a fabric inspector on cushion tags, and always thought her's would be a good character name for a vintage novel: Hazel Causey.

Lee

openroad

New in Town
I have always been fond of my great-grandmothers name "Gladys" and she was a great woman.
My grandmothers name is "Browen" and my mothers name is "Paullette"
I had to settle on "Brian" go figure.......;)

52Styleline

A-List Customer
I have long contended that we should have the opportunity to change our names upon reaching majority. Our parents, bless them, give us names that reflect what they are reading, who they admire, or what is trendy at the moment we are born..... and we are stuck with that for the rest of our lives. lol And yes, my own grown children no doubt feel that way as well..

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
tuppence said:
It seems that then names of women are more subject to fashion, however. In the '80's and 90's popular female names included Minnie, Florence, Bessie, Ethel, Edna, Lillian and Mellie. By the 'teens, Helen, Margaret, Dorothy, Ruth, Mildred, Frances, Rose, and Evelyn were popular. In the 'twenties, Betty, Virginia, Doris, Jean, Marie, Shirley, Lois, Irene, and Gloria entered the scent, and in the 'thirties Barbara, Patricia, Nancy, Carol, Joyce, Marilyn, and Beverly were popular, while in the war years Sandra, Carolyn, Susan, and Janet were common.
My mom (a '30s baby) is Nancy Ann. It was inspired by an Italian relative named Annunziata, a name that often got Anglicized as Nancy, sometimes as Ann, sometimes as both.

Her sister (b. 1925) was Lucille, as was my dad's mother (b. 1900). That doesn't turn up on the lists but it obviously had some staying power.
This would have been my aunt's 83d birthday Thursday. Whatyacallit, babe. Pizza freaks (she used to make 'em). xxoo.

The man who built my house had 2 daughters born in the 20s and guess what: they were Virginia and Shirley.

When did the Great Plague of Lisas begin? Was it really 1951, when Nat King Cole hit big with Mona Lisa? If so, why weren't there scads of Monas, too? I was in college in the 80s and in one of my classes there were seven Lisas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80