Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Every Woman Needs Pearls

LaMedicine

One Too Many
CherryRed said:
Angel in referance to pearl being your birthstone, did you know that the original June bs is Alexandrite? It is a rare stone so something more common was put in it's place. I think December has a couple also, blue zircon and turquoise.

Actually, it's me who wrote about pearl being my bs.
Yes, I know Alexandrite is also for June. Their colors changing in light sure is pretty, and I have been looking around for a while now for something that catches my fancy, and within my budget, but I haven't had any luck yet.

JiveAngel

New in Town
It is my birthstone too, though. I used to have an Alexandrite ring when I was in high school. It was really one of those mother's rings. I'm an only child, so my mother put my stone in the middle and her and dad's on the sides. When I was in high school she passed it to me. Sadly, it was a little big on me, and one day I waved good-bye to a friend and it flew off my hand down the hallway never to be seen again.

My class ring was Alexandrite too, but I gave up wearing that years ago : )

Unfortunately Alexandrite seemed to be pretty rare these days. I do look whenever I'm in a jewelry store, hoping to find a nice ring or such again. I'd LOVE to find something vintage. Meanwhile it's pearls, pearls, pearls for me.

The other day I found a vintage pearl pin in an antique shop next to where my husband gets his hair cut. It's a big gold safety pin with pearls on it. It happens too look almost exactly like a costume piece I have that I've worn until the coating is almost gone from all the "pearls." I pointed it out to my husband. I told him should buy it the next time he got his hair cut and hide it away for Xmas. I'm a little sad because I don't think he listened to my suggestion. He got his hair cut a couple of days later and came back so quickly I thought he'd forgotten his wallet or something. I doubt he had any time to shop while he was gone. :cry:

LaMedicine

One Too Many
JiveAngel said:
It is my birthstone too, though. I used to have an Alexandrite ring when I was in high school. It was really one of those mother's rings. I'm an only child, so my mother put my stone in the middle and her and dad's on the sides. When I was in high school she passed it to me. Sadly, it was a little big on me, and one day I waved good-bye to a friend and it flew off my hand down the hallway never to be seen again.

Oh, that ring is such a beautiful idea! It is very sad that you lost it. :cry:

As for your DH...Well, early into my marriage, I gave my DH a topaz tie pin for his birthday. His reaction to it, even after my explantion that, "since topaz is your birthstone" was a "HUH?"...That was the day I decided to collect my pearls on my own :p

Oh, I sometimes see moonstone listed as June's bs, too.

Gosh, I think we could start a whole thread about birthstones, if you ask me...What do you have, how did you come by them, etc etc.

D

Deleted member 259

My grandmother gave me a pearl necklace (five strands connected) a couple years back. It's just costume jewelry, but they were her mothers, and beautiful. I'll post a picture when I get the chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24