Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Upcoming Wedding Attire Advice

Ginny Love

New in Town
Hi Ladies!

This is my very first post. I’ve been a dabbling lurker since 2016 and most of the time, I find what I need without having to create an actual post. But I’m in need of some tailor-made advice and from my research, this is the very best place to receive it.

I’ll try to include a few pics so you can get a feel for my current style (and shape) to help you get a better idea of what I’m working with.

Here’s the deal: this summer, my partner’s son is getting married. I’m closely involved in the wedding but I’m not a parent so my involvement won’t be considered center stage. I need outfit advice for the rehearsal dinner (which we are hosting here at our home with a caterer) and the wedding itself. I LOVE the fashions of the early 1940s and my daily style reflects this so it will not strike anyone as odd if I wear clothing that reflects that passion. Overall, it’s mostly modern-made mixed with vintage and though I love the forties, I tend to end up with bits and pieces of the 30s-50s.

What would you suggest I wear for both events?
Is a hat appropriate?
Would a sunflower corsage or hair accessory be tacky?

Here are some random facts to add more to the story:
It’s an outdoor/tent wedding
We live in Texas so the weather will be hot.
I don’t have an unlimited budget or any skills with a sewing machine but I do have a woman who can make me something from a pattern at a reasonable price.
I’m in my early forties with an hourglass figure.
The bridal colors are yellow and silver. Bridesmaids dresses will be silver.
The bride loves sunflowers and plans to use them at the event.
I can’t sew but I can use glue gun like a boss.

Many thanks in advance for any help on this.

Hope the pics come through okay. I don’t have as many as I thought I did.
78D40D9C-308A-4B35-8149-E522B948D680.jpeg
7B23C732-6292-4E7C-9365-EB0B33A685FE.jpeg
A102AC2B-BB1A-41A6-AFFC-91D4C2D0EB21.jpeg
DBEC076C-E06D-4E37-8B63-2F7F9238F561.jpeg
99197186-B059-42C4-91B3-54AF86503FEC.jpeg

Attachments

• A34FF668-85AF-4945-9C04-21BAB11D9E03.jpeg
    A34FF668-85AF-4945-9C04-21BAB11D9E03.jpeg
    128.7 KB · Views: 284

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I think the dress in the first photo would be perfect for the type of wedding you describe. A hat would have more to do with the cultural norms where you are than anything else -- up here in the Northeast, hats aren't generally worn, but in a climate where the sun beats down, that might be different. So the answer to that would be to think about what the other women might be wearing and go along with that.

Number one rule for weddings is don't outdress the wedding party, but I don't see anything here that would do that. And welcome to the Lounge!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Personally, I would check with the bride (or your husband's son) before wearing a sunflower corsage, given they are the flower for the wedding. Some brides would find that sweet... others not. You may be included in getting a corsage for the wedding (sometimes step parents are, but it's understandable if they are not, particularly if they had no role in raising the child and/or budget is tight. Lots depends on who is paying for the wedding but also how much influence the brides mother has, and her personality). I think some sunflower jewelry or a small accessory would be a nice touch. Small and tasteful though, not something to compete with her mother's corsage or the brides bouquet.

I think your hair accessories are tasteful and perfect for a wedding, and I could see little sunflowers in place of what you have.

If I were you, I'd try to suss out how the bride is dressing for the rehearsal dinner and go at least a step down. Some brides wear cocktail dresses or evening gowns. I wore one of my favorite dresses and a blazer to my own, but the best man's girlfriend showed up in a fancy dress, and boy was she out of place with most of my jean-clad party. (It was "come as you are- casual"- as it was right after work.)

I've worn hats to weddings and never had an issue, but then people who know me know I wear hats. And I save my one grandmother's hat for weddings, so anyone who's ever commented knows it is a family hat, and I wear it on special occasions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21