Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero board racer fit pics

Cortexas

New in Town
Hey everyone, I just got my fit jacket from Thurston. I would love some feedback on the fit. It definitely feels a bit small for me and clearly the sleeves need to be longer. I’m just wearing a T-shirt and would like to wear a very light sweater which seems impossible with this particular jacket.
IMG_8361.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8363.jpeg
    IMG_8363.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_8364.jpeg
    IMG_8364.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_8365.jpeg
    IMG_8365.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_8366.jpeg
    IMG_8366.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 64

TartuWolf

Practically Family
With those pants I'd go for a longer body.
From the back it looks pretty great.
Shoulder width looks rather good.
Chest (not necessarily pit-to-pit) looks too small.
Hem maybe a bit too wide, hard to tell, but it does stick out.
Waist up front looks a bit tight, but there is clearly room in the lower back so it would settle/balance out most likely.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I believe you can go up at least one to two sizes on the BR pattern and have it custom taper so its a size to two smaller at the waist.
If you're working with TB , I would suggest to try another bigger size before nailing down the custom build spec. A little extra spent on shipping up front is still better than unloading a relative new jacket that you don't wear at a discount later on.
The most critical fit is from the neck down to the upper chest including the sleeves. Or the three holes, neck and arm holes. These cannot be changed without building a new jacket. The chest down taper can always happen at a later date for an even more customized fit.

FWIW, I have a custom board racer jacket, size 42 widen shoulder, taper down one size, so would be same as size 44 taper to size 40 I think, and at some point I would want one size 46 tapered down to size 42 in CXL with Bates like action pleats under the armpits to tuck that extra bit of leather when not reaching forward.

My jacket is in Kelpie HH and would drape similar to your raw horsehide, CXL would be a bit more rigid but finish would be nicer imo.

IMG_8162.JPG

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1450.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG
Aero BR 42 closed.JPG

Aero BR 42 open.JPG

The sleeves aren't very roomy on this pattern, but going up in sizing would help if you want to wear it as a jacket and not a shirt,
High arm hole,
IMG_1701.JPG

slim fitting sleeves,
IMG_1702.JPG

I would seriously suggest to get another fit jacket in size 44 to try. If you feel that jacket is too big then go with 42, but I am quite certain you'll be in a 44 with some custom tapering. Vintage sizings is not the same as modern sizing.

Cortexas

New in Town
I believe you can go up at least one to two sizes on the BR pattern and have it custom taper so its a size to two smaller at the waist.
If you're working with TB , I would suggest to try another bigger size before nailing down the custom build spec. A little extra spent on shipping up front is still better than unloading a relative new jacket that you don't wear at a discount later on.
The most critical fit is from the neck down to the upper chest including the sleeves. Or the three holes, neck and arm holes. These cannot be changed without building a new jacket. The chest down taper can always happen at a later date for an even more customized fit.

FWIW, I have a custom board racer jacket, size 42 widen shoulder, taper down one size, so would be same as size 44 taper to size 40 I think, and at some point I would want one size 46 tapered down to size 42 in CXL with Bates like action pleats under the armpits to tuck that extra bit of leather when not reaching forward.

My jacket is in Kelpie HH and would drape similar to your raw horsehide, CXL would be a bit more rigid but finish would be nicer imo.

View attachment 603776
View attachment 603777
View attachment 603778
View attachment 603779
View attachment 603780 View attachment 603781
View attachment 603782

The sleeves aren't very roomy on this pattern, but going up in sizing would help if you want to wear it as a jacket and not a shirt,
High arm hole,
View attachment 603785
slim fitting sleeves,
View attachment 603784

I would seriously suggest to get another fit jacket in size 44 to try. If you feel that jacket is too big then go with 42, but I am quite certain you'll be in a 44 with some custom tapering. Vintage sizings is not the same as modern sizing.
This is input, thank you. I’m slightly hesitant to start tinkering with the pattern too much and ending up with something that doesn’t work all that well. Sounds like you did that with no issues. Anything you were not happy with with your jacket? Also, are you a fellow Canadian?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
This is input, thank you. I’m slightly hesitant to start tinkering with the pattern too much and ending up with something that doesn’t work all that well. Sounds like you did that with no issues. Anything you were not happy with with your jacket? Also, are you a fellow Canadian?
Yeah I don't suggest tinkering tapering on your first shot either. But at least try on two different sizings, and take tape to the jacket measurement photos to keep records so you know when you get the end jacket.
I would definitely try on a stock size 44 BR before making the final decision. It should answer a lot of your questions for you.

Yeah I am in Vancouver. Fingers crossed we get a reason to get a little rowdy this June...

What am I not happy about my Aero jacket(s)? Not material, not construction, but it's always sizing. I feel like I am always trying on two different sizes of the same pattern before finding out the right size for that pattern from Aero. But this could be the same with 95% of jackets out there.

Cortexas

New in Town
Yeah I don't suggest tinkering tapering on your first shot either. But at least try on two different sizings, and take tape to the jacket measurement photos to keep records so you know when you get the end jacket.
I would definitely try on a stock size 44 BR before making the final decision. It should answer a lot of your questions for you.

Yeah I am in Vancouver. Fingers crossed we get a reason to get a little rowdy this June...

What am I not happy about my Aero jacket(s)? Not material, not construction, but it's always sizing. I feel like I am always trying on two different sizes of the same pattern before finding out the right size for that pattern from Aero. But this could be the same with 95% of jackets out there.
Solid advice. I guess the upside with it being leather is it will to a small degree even out overtime as it molds. I have another jacket from a Japanese maker with the sleeves were a solid inch and a half short, but I was able to stretch them out to where it’s just perfect now. Really wanting to avoid doing anything like that on my Aero. What is your actual chest size versus the jacket chest size? It seems some of the fits I like on people have the jacket running about 3-4 inches larger than the actual chest size.

I’m originally from Toronto but live in Texas now. I can’t tell you how much I miss Canadian summers.

Fortunately, I am not a leafs fan, so I’d be thrilled if the Canucks took the cup. I think it’s about time the cup comes home to the motherland.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Solid advice. I guess the upside with it being leather is it will to a small degree even out overtime as it molds. I have another jacket from a Japanese maker with the sleeves were a solid inch and a half short, but I was able to stretch them out to where it’s just perfect now. Really wanting to avoid doing anything like that on my Aero. What is your actual chest size versus the jacket chest size? It seems some of the fits I like on people have the jacket running about 3-4 inches larger than the actual chest size.

I’m originally from Toronto but live in Texas now. I can’t tell you how much I miss Canadian summers.

Fortunately, I am not a leafs fan, so I’d be thrilled if the Canucks took the cup. I think it’s about time the cup comes home to the motherland.
My chest circumference measures about 41", and my BR's P2P is just under 23". BUT, I don't think the chest size plus 3.5" equal perfect fit rule works for all jackets. Definitely not in my case.

I would still advise to try the BR in two sizes bigger. So stock 44. If that fits too big then you know for sure it's not the 44 or the 40. If that works but feels a bit boxy, then you just have the body taper to sort out.

For examples, below jackets are similar in design, very different in cutting, and ranges from 22" P2P to 24" P2P. The 22" feels as good as the 24" P2P for me, it's the 23" P2P one that feels tight as you can see from how it creases on one of the sleeves in the region just under the shoulder and above the chest. So the P2P rule doesn't solve all the questions.

22" P2P Feels good for me
22 P2P.jpg

23" P2P feels tighter than the 22" and the 24" P2P
23 P2P.jpg

24" P2P feels good, this one is made in very heavy CXL SH too.
24 P2P.jpg

I am not saying Aero cannot do slim P2P jackets that is not restrictive. I am saying in my case the P2P rule doesn't work the same on different patterns. I've got two Aero patterns that have great range of motions while very slim measurements, the trucker and the aeromarine, but the BR is not cut like those two patterns.
Aeromarine closed.JPG

Aero Type 3 closed.JPG

Try the BR in 44. I know at some point I would want to try one with 24" P2P or size 46 just to see. The sleeves are cut with a slim taper on the BR, to use it as a casual jacket, sizing up and tapering down the torso seems like the only solution. In order for the slim torso to work without restriction, the sleeves needs to be wider.

Jasonindenver

One of the Regulars
Hey everyone, I just got my fit jacket from Thurston. I would love some feedback on the fit. It definitely feels a bit small for me and clearly the sleeves need to be longer. I’m just wearing a T-shirt and would like to wear a very light sweater which seems impossible with this particular jacket.
View attachment 603747

I might even suggest trying a Cafe Racer if you want to layer a thin sweater. I have a 41" chest and have a 44 Seven (Board Racer pattern). Even with the up size, it is a snug fit in the armholes and sleeves when wearing more than a thin long sleeve shirt. The wider armholes of the Cafe Racer will allow more movement and, from what I understand, it may be easier to take in the sides of the cafe racer than add to the Board Racer.

bigmanbigtruck

Familiar Face
My chest circumference measures about 41", and my BR's P2P is just under 23". BUT, I don't think the chest size plus 3.5" equal perfect fit rule works for all jackets. Definitely not in my case.

I would still advise to try the BR in two sizes bigger. So stock 44. If that fits too big then you know for sure it's not the 44 or the 40. If that works but feels a bit boxy, then you just have the body taper to sort out.

For examples, below jackets are similar in design, very different in cutting, and ranges from 22" P2P to 24" P2P. The 22" feels as good as the 24" P2P for me, it's the 23" P2P one that feels tight as you can see from how it creases on one of the sleeves in the region just under the shoulder and above the chest. So the P2P rule doesn't solve all the questions.

22" P2P Feels good for me
View attachment 604183
23" P2P feels tighter than the 22" and the 24" P2P
View attachment 604184
24" P2P feels good, this one is made in very heavy CXL SH too.
View attachment 604185

I am not saying Aero cannot do slim P2P jackets that is not restrictive. I am saying in my case the P2P rule doesn't work the same on different patterns. I've got two Aero patterns that have great range of motions while very slim measurements, the trucker and the aeromarine, but the BR is not cut like those two patterns.
View attachment 604186
View attachment 604187

Try the BR in 44. I know at some point I would want to try one with 24" P2P or size 46 just to see. The sleeves are cut with a slim taper on the BR, to use it as a casual jacket, sizing up and tapering down the torso seems like the only solution. In order for the slim torso to work without restriction, the sleeves needs to be wider.
Damn, you definitely rock that trucker

tenor.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner