Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday Hairstyle

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Both are cute on you and I love your Christmas skirt!

Thank you! I made that last year (copied a skirt I had). This year I am making a vest to go with it, when I am done I'll show off the "what have you made thread." I also made the red collar in the picture, my monthly project next year is more collars in different colors.

Retro_GI_Jane

One of the Regulars
Awww, thanks Rue. My hair is long like yours. When it was short and sometimes shorter than Amy Jeanne's, I found that it took much less time to fuss with it lol. I also tend to be the type that believes in the power of the accessory where one hair pretty can really add to even just brushed out curls and finish off your look. I have a box of lots of hair flowers that I have made and jewelled combs and clips. Like I posted in the "show us your hair do!" thread, I have lately been playing with my bangs which can always add a different angle to your 'do as well.

C-dot, I love your updo! I'm just not coordinated enough to pull off a updo like that...it would look too messy rather than "meant to be messy"...lol. ;)

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
I get bored with my hair often, and I change it quite a bit. Right now it is a chin-length angled bob. Some days I straighten it, but other days I wear it curly/wavy. I rarely set my hair - usually only if we're going to a 1940s event or reenactment. My curly hair is letting it air dry naturally and then touching up as necessary with a curling iron.

2qxxir6.jpg

This is the straightened version:
1z5r955.jpg

A couple of years ago I went pixie short.
24pi807.jpg

SheBear74

Practically Family
C-dot, your so gorgeous I think you could wear a paper bag over your hair and you would still look beautiful. lol

Miss Golightly, thanks :) I had Betty Bangs for a while but then thinned them out a bit but I love having bangs.

Thanks for the compliment Rue! :D

crwritt

One Too Many
This is my usual style, I used to part it on the left but I started parting on the right. The right side somehow behaves better this way.
6369815613_55f2312583_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
here is the back
6332073720_0f44b9630a_m.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
Its pretty much a middy cut but the back layers may be a little short. As it grows out I have just trimmed the angle of the front corners.
I wash it, add a leave in conditioner and gel, comb it into place and sit under the dryer till its dry. I generally don't brush it out.

Last edited:

rene_writer

Familiar Face
Everyone's hair is so cute! I'm completely jealous of some of the styles.

People actually make fun of me (in a nice way) because my hair is different nearly everyday. My hair is super-thick and sport billions of curls the size of pencils. When it's straight (dripping wet in the shower) it's hip length, but it generally when it dries it is just below my bra strap. I can't stand it down and in my way. I'll do anything from semi-50's contained hair, to 60's high hair, to Victorian style buns, to hair-do's that would make the Ren-Faire proud. Lately, I've been on a LOTR/Game of Thrones/Princess hairstyle kick. Oh, and I'm addicted to clips, flowers, pens, and ribbons too.

Basically, styling is my substitute for the fact that I can never get a cute haircut or color. It must be one length, it must be long (because of my face and the fact that I couldn't contain it when it was short), and it must never meet a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

missjones

New in Town
well, every *couple* of days i put it up in a ponytail and pin curl the ends for an hour so i have a nice ringlet. does that count? =)

my hair is long, fine, and a mixture of straight and curly. i experimented with rollers and pin curls, but aside from the aforementioned ponytail i'm really a wash and hope for the best type.

crwritt

One Too Many
Everyone's hair is so cute! I'm completely jealous of some of the styles.

People actually make fun of me (in a nice way) because my hair is different nearly everyday. My hair is super-thick and sport billions of curls the size of pencils. When it's straight (dripping wet in the shower) it's hip length, but it generally when it dries it is just below my bra strap. I can't stand it down and in my way. I'll do anything from semi-50's contained hair, to 60's high hair, to Victorian style buns, to hair-do's that would make the Ren-Faire proud. Lately, I've been on a LOTR/Game of Thrones/Princess hairstyle kick. Oh, and I'm addicted to clips, flowers, pens, and ribbons too.

Basically, styling is my substitute for the fact that I can never get a cute haircut or color. It must be one length, it must be long (because of my face and the fact that I couldn't contain it when it was short), and it must never meet a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

I'd love to "see" it!

Everyone looks great in thier usual hairstyles. Lizzie, I agree with your Grandmother. Find what works and stick to it.
At the same time, it is a mystery to me why I have accumulated so many barrettes and hair accessories over the years that I rarely use. It could be because you can't try them in the store, and you can't return them. I always have high hopes, then that new barrete will break in two, slide right out, or look funny.

Last edited:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
scarlett, Grant Fan, rue - Thank you gals, you're sweet! :)

C-dot, I love your updo! I'm just not coordinated enough to pull off a updo like that...it would look too messy rather than "meant to be messy"...lol. ;)

Neither am I - Really! lol It takes me 5 seconds: I pin up all the back hair with a duckbill clip, pin the sides on top with smaller clips, and throw a couple of bobby pins to keep it all in the middle.

C-dot, your so gorgeous I think you could wear a paper bag over your hair and you would still look beautiful. lol

Oh my goodness, thank you so much :) You're lovely yourself, your hair is so adorable!

MissLaurieMarie

One of the Regulars
My everyday hair is pretty straight forward, just a sponge roller set overnight:

Nov10_003.jpg

It gets pretty curly, so tonight I am trying it with larger rollers (eep!). Wish me luck!

If I am lazy then I leave it straight / unwashed (I have to set my hair every night because it is so thick and fine), put it up in either a french twist (clena hair only, I learned that the hard way) or in a clip, and then do a front roll or victory rolls:

thanksgiving_hair2.jpg
Oct8_knitting.jpg

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
Have you tried hot sticks? My hair is straight, thin, and so silky it slides right out of my fingers. Hot sticks take about 5 minutes to put in in the morning, I do my makeup, and then they take 5 minutes to take out. I didn't think my hair would take to them because of my "problems", but I run some gel through it, spray it just a touch, and then when I'm rolling my hair I make sure my fingers are tacky with gel so the hair won't slide around. The first time I used hot sticks it was a disaster, but within a week I was pretty good at it. The first picture in my OP was done with hot sticks.

But then again, if you just can't be bothered to do your hair every day then that is ok, too ;) I'm like that every now and again.

Your hair sounds exactly like mine Amy Jeanne - which is a relief to hear! When I see photos of the ladies of the lounge with immaculate hair I always assume that they have wonderful wavy hair that sits just so and they don't have to wrestle with it for ages!!!! I haven't tried the hot sticks - but think I might now - I had the non-hot ones (bendy foam ones) that I think might be similar to the ones you use, and they were only ok - I think I need the heat to help the curl stick. Glad to hear it only takes a few minutes - I put my full face on every day so could do that whilst waiting for the curl to set.

Thank you so much for the tip - it gives me hope!!!!:)

angeljenny

A-List Customer
I need to try harder - my hair basically gets brushed and that is it. I really liked the hair band curling method and need to make time to do it most nights.

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Your hair sounds exactly like mine Amy Jeanne - which is a relief to hear! When I see photos of the ladies of the lounge with immaculate hair I always assume that they have wonderful wavy hair that sits just so and they don't have to wrestle with it for ages!!!! I haven't tried the hot sticks - but think I might now - I had the non-hot ones (bendy foam ones) that I think might be similar to the ones you use, and they were only ok - I think I need the heat to help the curl stick. Glad to hear it only takes a few minutes - I put my full face on every day so could do that whilst waiting for the curl to set.

Thank you so much for the tip - it gives me hope!!!!:)

Me too! I have had a succession of bad pincurl sets and have yet to find any heated rollers that don't drop out immediately on my fine and slky hair. I have been meaning to try hot sticks for ages and might have to take the plunge now.

I tend to wear my hair in a gibson roll with a scarf, (thanks LinaSofia), or else some rolls and a snood or beret at this time of year, unless i set my hair and leave it loose. If i don't set my hair, i tend to dry it straight and curl the ends under in a kind of pageboy look. My hair seems to like to curl under so i just go with the flow.

I sometimes do a sixties Audrey inspired up-do for evenings or when my hair is really dirty, but no ponytail as my hair is too lank and it looks awful.

Caroline H

Familiar Face
Most of the time I don't do much to my hair. It is naturally wavy to curly (depending on humidity) so I usually spritz it in the morning & let it do it's thing. My avatar is pretty typical of the result. Today I rolled it on hot rollers. The result was more Marilyn Monroe than the thirties look I was trying for but at least it wasn't a total disaster! (Don't have time for disasters in the morning!)

Last edited:

Isis

One of the Regulars
I'm a creature of habit and also of impatience. I love to experiment with my hair, but ionly when I have the time. So pin-curled I usually wear it like this:

032.jpg

Only sometimes I pin the hair on both side a bit fluffier in a faux roll-ish way. Lately I've been parting my hair in the middle, using mu usual set:
020x.jpg

And sometimes, when I for some reason haven't curled it, or the curls are misbehaving, I fall back on a ponytail:

011-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy