Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Everyday inspirations

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I was just wondering what inspires you each day in your dress and style?

I'm so totally in love with the costumes I sse whilst watching Poirot (and the sets, I love Art Deco)- they inspire me to step away from the skinny jeans and T-shirts and make that little extra effort that day.

One thing that does irk me somewhat is that of the many styles shown, I mostly love the more dramatic and flamboyant clothing (usually belonging to the characters (actresses/ hieresses etc.) which turn out to either be the victim or the murdress!) I can't seem to find good repros of dramatic or 'couture' style vintage pieces from the usual vintage repro sellers- any help would be most apprecaited. For example the red and white floaty beach outfit worn by Arlena in 'Evil under the sun' was divine.

So, what your day to day inspirations, i'd love to hear them?

Retro Chick

New in Town
I do love the costumes in Poirot, so gorgeous.

I'm inspired by illustrations in old magazines and the covers of old sheet music as well. I have one on my wall, "Till Stars Forget to Shine" and I absolutely want to look like that at a ball I'm going to at the end of the month!

I've recently started watching Mad Men (only 4 years behind everyone else!) and though I normally prefer earlier 30s/40s or sometimes early 50s styles, I do have to say there are some wonderful costumes in it!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
I got the 1st series of Mad Men for Xmas -I've yet to watch it. I should watch it this weekend. I need more inspiration on my walls too.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Oh my, you're not alone - the costumes and decorations in Poirot series are truly inspiring. Do you remember the suits Gretha Scacchi wore in "By The Prickling Of My Thumbs" ?
But actually, every old movie inspires me to in my looks and my wardrobe - just so many gorgeous dresses, suits and hairdos!

Also, I've had a calendar made with photographs of actresses of the Golden Era. And I leaf occasionally through the picture collection on my PC. When you think - "I can look just as good. It is not Photoshop, it's not cosmetic surgery, it is EFFORT. "

Tishkaminx - I am absolutely planning to have that swimsuit Arlena wore (the white and green one) made. I'm sure my seamstress will be delighted, but it's not like it's the first time :)

Hey_Laaaaaady!

Familiar Face
My two main inspirations are old movies and old patterns. The films are wonderful for seeing designer creations and amazing hairdos, and the patterns, for everyday clothing (with a bit of context) and hair. I like to go on etsy and do pattern searches, and save the covers to my computer. :)

magnolia76

One of the Regulars
I get inspired just by the people I see on the street everyday. I feel like nowadays absolutely no one cares about their appearance. Even in church, barely anyone dresses up anymore. When I dress my normal vintage way, hair and makeup all done and my outfit very put together, I get double takes on the street all the time. It certainly makes a girl feel pretty! What's more inspirational than that?

Annichen

Familiar Face
Everything around me inspires me.
I am surrounded by all things 20s/30s- movies,magazines,the people in the frames on the wall..I grew up with vintage and antiques,my great grandmother & granny was glamorous and it is just unthinkable for me to go out in..whatever it is people nowadays are "wearing".
I love to look and feel of vintage clothes and the fact that people treat you much better when you look great is also a bonus.
AND yes, Poirot!<3..I don't know, there has been a few 30s films/series lately,is it becoming trendy?
Have any of you seen the new Upstairs Downstairs?..you SHOULD ;)

Juliet

A-List Customer
I think you'll find everyday looks in old movies, too. It just won't be the heroine :)

Edit: How could I forget? Fleurre de Guerre is a huge inspiration!

Last edited:

Juliet

A-List Customer
Juliet

I got this Esther williams swimsuit as it reminds me of Arlena's. I got a petal swimcap to wear with it too.

http://www.forluna.co.uk/26-black-retro-swimsuit

Oh, it does look lovely! A little bow on the neckline, a summer hat, and you're all set!
And a very important question - how well does the upper part support the chest? Because I just fell in love with the cherry print one))

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Pictures of "Everyday Women" are my biggest inspirations. I don't like to look too overdone and most "everyday women" I've seen seem to have an unpolished look to them, whether it be an ill-fitting dress, stripey socks that do not go with their outfit, or frizzy hair. They are the ones who look best to me.

No matter what I do I'll never look "polished" and I'll never be as lovely as most of the girls on here so these average, everyday women give me the biggest boost!

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Hi Juliet

I thought you might like it. i've yet to try it on as i bought a size smaller to slim into it!

Hi Amy

I think quirky styles are charming. Me, I'm theatrical and I've just come to accept that i'll be hopelesly over-dressed for most occasions!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
I really like to read vintage and vintage-inspired fashion blogs; those girls usually are just photographing their everyday outfits, but they all look so adorable that it gives me endless inspiration on how to spruce up my own outfits. Having a little blogette myself has also been a good motivating force.

I'm a big fan of the "everyday women" thread as well; I love day wear a lot more than evening stuff, funnily enough, and I think I could stare at all those cotton house frocks and wide legged trousers all day! I browse Flickr a lot, too, adding pictures to my favorites to create a sort of inspiration portfolio for myself.

Also, depending on what decade you like best, photography books are a fun way to get inspired. I love Depression-era photographers like Walker Evans, Eudora Welty (yes, she took pictures too!), and Dorothea Lange. Snuggling up in bed with a stack of huge hard-cover photography books has become a ritual for me; I soon become completely immersed in the photographer's world and feel as though I'm there, walking a dusty 1930s street in my feedsack frock and Marcel waves ;)

Tuesday_Next

Familiar Face
RodeoRose, I love your blog! Actually, I find all the blogs from Fedora Lounge members incredibly inspiring. I'm also inspired by old knitting patterns (and sewing patterns too but I don't know how to sew very well) and movies.

I have to agree that just seeing how sloppy other people look when I go out inspires me to make an effort. Dressing vintage makes it easier to look just a little more pulled together than the average person. It amazing what a skirt and red lipstick can do to make me feel better and not so schleppy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR