Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Excelled Deal on G-1

Stlawrence

New in Town
Excelled has cut the price for a G-1 to $310, which seems to me a better than good price. From reading this board for months, I know how much you all seem to like the Excelled.

Any tips before I pull the ripcord on this? I would be particularly interested in Thor's opinion. I would expect to get the acrylic collar replaced with a new one later, I guess.

Is Excelled still a issued-item supplier? As has been discussed on this board, like many of you I have become extremely skeptical of company claims they are suppliers to the military. I was in the Army, and I can tell you, there is either a legitimate contract, or there is not. Don't show me size charts you say you send to a military unit, and then claim you're an official supplier. In my units we always had vendors trying to sell us things - sweatshirts, tees, PT gear. I suspect in the flight units it is the same, but the vendors also sell flight jackets. That is "selling to the military members," not "official supplier to the military." That's my rant for the day.

So. Last chance to talk me out of the Excelled. I'm just hoping summer is further delayed so I can wear the thing before September.

Deacon211

One Too Many
Hey Hardcharger.

Thanks for your service. I believe
Excelled was a supplier and may still be.

But do a search here first, because I seem to recall that the original contract from 2000 timeframe was a higher quality than the more recent vintage.

Be careful here as you might get a pale shadow of their earlier quality

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stlawrence

New in Town
Thanks, Deacon. I thought I had read about everything about Excelled, but it's good to know the quality may have slipped.

I don't really care if they have the current contract, but if they had a previous contract at least I know they know what they're doing.

By the way, who has the current contract? Is it Pharr?

thor

Call Me a Cab
I have two Excelled G-1 jackets (different contract numbers) and both are military-issued but they are not exactly similar in appearance. One has a more glossy appearance and has really deep, even grain (and has been worn much more often) while the second jacket (later contract number) has a more flat, matte finish with thicker leather and slightly uneven graining.
According to some published info that I’ve seen, Excelled had Navy contracts dated 1999 and 2004 and Pharr has the latest contract, also 2004. However I’ve seen an Excelled Navy-issue jacket with a production date of 2008, so who knows?
I would imagine that the newest Excelled “civilian” G-1 jackets are of high quality and should certainly be a good deal at only $310.

Last edited:

Deacon211

One Too Many
Which is your favorite G-1?
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ich-is-your-favorite-G-1?.89066/&share_type=t

In case this doesn’t come out, search for Which is Your Favorite G-1, page 262 or so. Hawkflyer here and earlier in this or another thread seems to find quality issues with the latest Excelleds.

On another note, I seem to recall that Txflyguy said that Excelleds occasionally went on sale for considerably lower. He seemed to have a better view of them as well.

Myself? I wouldn’t know one if you slapped me upside the head with it. I’m more a goatskin man myself, although I will say that a couple guys on here had shots of their Excelleds and they looked just fine to me.

Anyway, just more gouge for your consideration!

o7

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
I have "several" Excelled all DSCP contracts. These i find very of super quality. Some are quite shiny and some dull. The newer ones i e 2008 are the duller ones. The best seem to be circa 2000-2001 issue. As far as i am aware they still have the contract but have the DLA label rather then the DSCP one . Only thing is sizing on the DLA i heard that they run big. If you are US based give them a ring and ask re the sizing compared to the DSCP contract. Also someone mentioned on here the quality of the leather is not as nice as before. Re Pharr they only had the contract up to 2004 .I have 2 of these and the leather is supple but thin compared to the Excelled but it has real mouton collar rather then the acrylic of the Excelled . To the best of my knowledge Excelled still have the contract. Good luck and let us know how you go on. Would love to see some pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner