"exit jacket"

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Herresbach, Sep 27, 2020.

1. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have never thought that I would find an exit jacket... and I still don't think there is one for me. I know that I will never actually stop buying leather jackets and if I do stop, I will not expect it... it will just happen.

dannyk, El Marro, Mich486 and 2 others like this.
  2. Downunder G Man

Downunder G Man One Too Many

Well I am officially "finished" garnering leather jackets.

Oh sorry , I may have said that before my latest Vanson Ike in Comp' weight steerhide of last month....

Truth be told I am quite happy with my current roster of jackets. For "me/my style" they would be hard to beat.

And this is the brand and style that started me off 30+ years ago..

Eastman Luftwaffe this one six years old , in the first 2 photos

Eastman Luftwaffe at Eden Beach.jpg

Eastman Luftwaffe at Mullaloo.jpg

This my Sinnika "recreation" here in Perth WA in black goat

Eastman Luftwaffe Goathide copy 2.jpg

The original 30+ year old version, photo taken in the last year

Eastman Luftwaffe 30 years at Scarbs.jpg

Perhaps these SHOULD have been the "exit" Jacket(s) but you all know how that goes !

3. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I have a Mariner coming to help with the Shanghai winter. I began selling or giving away ones I no longer wear a couple of years ago. I certainly don't intend to buy any other leather jackets. I think that I've probably burnt out on the process. I have noticed that a lot of friends started to slim down their possessions in their late thirties, and I did the same (it seems to be an unconscious thing a lot of us just started doing). I like things that last a long time, and I've mainly kept those, but things still fade. It annoys me that things like office shirts don't look smarter for longer (weirdly, my Shanghai tailor-made shirts have generally stood the test of about a decade really well, and have either faded uniformly or just not), and I do really pause before buying new ones, as the cost (smaller costs niggle) and regularity get me. Not sure why. High-end things apart from leather jackets have never appealed- I make do with a pair of tan Loakes, some black Fly London boots that pass for black shoes and some blunnies. I have bought some Hawkes and Curtis (if that's the name) chinos that are really comfortable, but I also don't much like buying those!

Dr H and Harris HTM like this.
  4. MichaelRhB

MichaelRhB One of the Regulars

As long as they keep making them I'll keep buying them. I don't limit myself to only leather though.

Edward likes this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I have a modest collection of 6 leather jackets. I thought for sure I had my 'exit' jacket...an Aero in Buffalo...my ultimate jacket. Or so I thought, then someone posts their new FiveStar A-1 and I start to think...that looks good, I don't have an A-1,.....I have long wanted an A-1........it is such a great price and how long can that price last.......what can I sell to justify buying it? So maybe I am not done yet.

6. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

Great point. Join TFL, research, acquire, then leave TFL. Alcoholics don't need need to be hanging out at the local lounge and jacket addicts don't need to be hanging out at The Fedora Lounge. This place is the gateway drug of leather jackets.

7. steve u

steve u A-List Customer

El Marro,
    I'd be one of those...Plus at my age I won't be able to wear out the two (Lost Worlds and D.Sheeley)as it is.
    I like LOOKING at Yours though.

dannyk and El Marro like this.
  8. robrinay

robrinay One Too Many

I’ve got an order in for a Sunburst in natural Vicenza thats been passed to the factory for production today. I’m seriously thinking that when it arrives I’ll lay my herd out on the decking choose the finest and most comfortable and eBay the rest.

9. Similar to what I did robinay. I went from eight leather jackets down to four after comparing them. Yet I usually only wear two of them most of the time.

JoeNiblick, dannyk and robrinay like this.
  10. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

I’m with you man, looking is often more fun than buying, and a hell of a lot cheaper too!

dudewuttheheck and steve u like this.
  11. dark wood

dark wood Familiar Face

I have 6 leather motorcycle jackets. 4 of them are Aeros that I’ve purchased in the past 18 months. I want one casual wear jacket - probably another Aero - likely a half belt or Maxwell. Then I will be done, and I promise you I will be done.

AeroFan_07 likes this.
  12. dark wood

dark wood Familiar Face

Hoosier Daddy, that Hwyman looks perfect on you...your best jacket imo.

13. Brandrea33

Brandrea33 One of the Regulars

I joined here not too long ago, to learn about leather jackets and buy what I figure to be my only one. I landed on this one after a lot of research.

I’m quite happy with it and we are getting on very well during the break in period. FA90ED84-6EF1-4FF8-8E40-72CD7DC5BF17.jpeg 201F682A-D624-4206-A2BF-CB00B3CD9DF4.jpeg 9B0576F9-2BE5-4903-A593-0AFDB73D7DFA.jpeg

14. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 My Mail is Forwarded Here

You're right you know. At least with Leather jacket addiction, there is not much concern with intoxicated driving (except some good CXL scent in the air), need for a breathalyzer, or a hospital stay. Just wrap me up in a nice jacket and I'll be fine - I promise! :)

15. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

there must me a law about breaking in a brand new jacket while driving on public road, at least there must be a speed limiter just incase the jacket slowing down your reaction time and at the same time choking the blood flow to your head... I propose standing jacket test, if the jacket still stand on its own, no more than 50kph or 30mph. :D:eek:

roadking04 likes this.
  16. Marc mndt

Marc mndt Call Me a Cab

That's a great story and a great jacket. You've learned how to drive and bought a Rolls-Royce :p

17. Brandrea33

Brandrea33 One of the Regulars

thank you ... I feel like I need training wheels for this thing.

Marc mndt likes this.
  18. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck My Mail is Forwarded Here

I am going to also echo what others have said and say that no matter how many more jackets I buy, I plan on sticking around this place. I love seeing other peoples' great jackets too, not just my own.

19. Sloan1874

Sloan1874 I'll Lock Up

I have certainly slowed this year - Covid has meant I've just not had the opportunity or need to add to the collection. And tbh, this morning I walked past Son of Stag in London this morning and I just couldn't be bothered. I knew it was way overpriced and I have better things to do with my money. Am I on the outs? Nah, but priorities are priorities...

dubpynchon and jonesy86 like this.
  20. jonesy86

jonesy86 My Mail is Forwarded Here

I bet you got another GW coming.

Sloan1874 likes this.