Experience in Freewheelers leather sizing?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jroot, Nov 18, 2020.

1. Jroot

Jroot New in Town

Hi there,

I’m salivating over the Freewheelers Mulholland jacket, but seems all of the JP sites out there have discrepancies between each other. I’m 5’10 168lb and don’t know if I would need to size up for a 40 or a 38.

any feedback if you’re of similar size would be appreciative

thanks!

dudewuttheheck likes this.
  2. jeo

jeo A-List Customer

@dudewuttheheck has a size 40 Mulholland. Perhaps he can provide you with measurements.

3. dudewuttheheck

dudewuttheheck Call Me a Cab

My size 40 Freewheelers Mulholland is as follows:
    Chest: 21.5"
    Shoulder: 18.5"
    Back: 23.75"
    Arms: 24" measured straight

I am 5'7" 165lb with a 41.5" chest and a 31.5" waist.
    This is how it fits me:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

AeroFan_07, Tusche, JDelage and 4 others like this.
  4. Jroot

Jroot New in Town

@jeo & @dudewuttheheck , thanks for the specs and some fit pics for comparison.

it’s hard to tell, I’m around your weight but taller by 2 inches and a smaller chest around 39. @dudewuttheheck you think a 40 would be a good fit?

5. dudewuttheheck

It depends on how you like your jackets to fit in the chest. At least in terms of length, the 40 should be a good fit for you.

6. Colin G

Colin G One Too Many

I have three Freewheelers and in my opinion the ones I own fit true to size. I am a size 40 and tried a Mulholland on in a 40 and it fits as a size 40 should.

JDelage and dudewuttheheck like this.
  7. Will Zach

Will Zach One Too Many

I tried on a Mulholland at Desolation Row store in Tokyo. I am 5'9", 146#, chest 38". Size 38 felt too tight, size 40 was about right. Did not buy because of $$$, but Mulholland is a great jacket. A classic.

8. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

I know you’ve answered this before but I can’t find your response— what hat is that? Gracias.

9. dudewuttheheck

This is a Tatton Baird 100% beaver western weight hat in silver belly. It's basically a Stetson Open Road in terms of design, but with a deeper flange which I really like.

10. JMax

JMax I'll Lock Up

Beautiful. I did think Open Road at first glance. The brim is around 3”? I need to get to a store that carries these types of hats so I can try them on. I’m having a hard time deciding between this size brim or 4-4.25”. It’s never easy huh?

Beautiful hat and you wear it well.

11. dudewuttheheck

Thanks! It's actually only 2 5/8" if I remember correctly.

JMax likes this.
  12. TheBigEraser

TheBigEraser New in Town

Mine and my friends experience: firstly given your height, both 38 or 40 would work. Then we talk about your shoulder: if you are an average build without extraodinary shoulder width, you need only taking chest measurement into account. Next you should consider what do you expect to wear in the jacket: if you plan to wear just a t-shirt or shirt, the minimum jacket chest measurement you need is your naked chest measurement + 6cm. That's the minimum allowance you need in order to not wrap yourself like a burrito when you zip it up. If you plan to add another layer or a sweater, you should give it a bit more space.

Then please refer to the table below: that's the most accurate measurement table (generally speaking, as you know they are not laser-made machines so there some individual differences) comfirmed by my group of friends, and we have together handled more than 30 pieces of FW Mulholland. But please notice this table only applies Mulholland manufactured after 2018. Our experience is that Mulholland manufactured before 2017/2018 is slightly more slim, around 2-3cm difference in chest measurement.

Size: Chest Shoulder Body Sleeves
    38:104 44 61 62

40:108 46 63 64

42:112 48 65 65

And this a friend of mine fitting in size 38 and 40. He is 175cm tall and weighs at 75kg. The left is size 38 and the right is size 40.

[​IMG]

Last but not least: I really like the leather selection of FW Mulholland in these 2 years. Almost every piece maintains a very evenly distributed grains.

Hope the information above helps.

13. antoine p

antoine p Familiar Face

That’s good info- thanks for sharing with us @TheBigEraser

14. TheBigEraser

TheBigEraser New in Town

No problem at all - happy that I can help.

15. Smallrod

Smallrod New in Town

I am 5’7”, 160lbs with a 39” chest. I have a size 40 and wish I had a 38.

16. Cyber Lip

Cyber Lip Practically Family

Something about Freewheelers not many mention is they have exceptionally high armholes. Due to that, the chest measurement doesn't tell the whole story. If you're looking at one at you think you might be cutting it close with a chest measurement that's "on-paper" a hair narrower than you'd like but technically "should still work", it's best to size up. Because the way the jacket will be jutting into your armpits can be unforgiving, and will limit what you can wear under it. My experience with this is based on their Brakeman and Journeyman jackets

17. JDelage

JDelage Familiar Face

This is a great thread. Thank you everyone.

18. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Thanks for sharing. Any luck for info about a size 36?

19. TheBigEraser

TheBigEraser New in Town

100 42 59 61. Please refer to the information above.

Size 36 is suitable for gents with 165-175cm height in our experience.

Jin431 likes this.
  20. Jin431

Jin431 One Too Many

Thanks for this great info.