Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experienced my first earthquake this morning...

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I just got an email from my mom talking about this too.

Fred H. said:
Apparently it was RIGHT under us in Germantown. I thought they'd resume nuclear testing!

You live in Germantown? That is where I am from. Right now I am in Italy, and I go to school in the city, so I am not home very much, but it is good to know there is another lounger nearby.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
When I lived in Ohio we had a few that could be felt. Most notably the quake of 1986,...actually shook the building I was in! :eek: I came to find out later that there is a fault under Lake Erie that extends down through the state and on into the Appalachian Mountains. Prior to this I thought eathquakes only happened in a few places.

hailey greenhat

A-List Customer
Was it a rolling quake (most people get a feeling of motion sickness/headache with this) or did it just shake a lot? I hate rolling quakes! I've lived in the same house in california for 21 years and big earthquakes still make me uneasy, heavy glass things breaking near me? No thanks!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
hailey greenhat said:
Was it a rolling quake (most people get a feeling of motion sickness/headache with this) or did it just shake a lot? I hate rolling quakes! I've lived in the same house in california for 21 years and big earthquakes still make me uneasy, heavy glass things breaking near me? No thanks!
It just shook. It wasn't very long and nothing was damaged. According to friends who live in Cali, it wasn't big enough to make the news if it had been in Cali. It's the biggest one we've had here since 1973, so it was unusual. I'll take a blizzard or a hurricane over shaking ground any day.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
The QUAKE

Quigley Brown said:
I live in central Maryland and apparently the area had a 3.6 magnitude temblor at 5 a.m. EST. That was weird..... [huh]

WE did NOT feel anything this AM! Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

JPH

Familiar Face
kamikat said:
According to friends who live in Cali, it wasn't big enough to make the news if it had been in Cali.
Well, it probably would have made the news, but just as a footnote. The kind of thing that would have had most folks going "There was an earthquake? Where was it centered and how big was it?... Oh, is that all?"

From the report on the size of this one, it sounds like some of the smaller aftershocks we get intermittently from the plates readjusting after a slip. If we feel a larger quake from far away, or an aftershock from someplace more local, sometimes it just feels the same as if a rather enormous truck just went rumbling by on the street. The space shuttle reentering earth's atmosphere to land at Edward AFB can fool some people that there was just an earthquake as well. Typically I don't even begin to get concerned until the strong shaking lasts longer than, say, 10 sec, or if stuff start really shaking/falling/breaking, etc.

But no doubt, going through one for the first time can be alarming. I've seen folks from other places with eyes the size of CDs and a very shocked/frightened look on their face, while I just look at them and shrug.

Joseph
Well seasoned.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
My family live in MD Frederick to be exact and my mother called to wake me and tell me about it, she was a bit frightened. They live in a massive 200 year old home and she said the house shook and actually moaned a bit. I am just glad no one was hurt back home.

waffle

One of the Regulars
what's up with the earthquake hitting the east coast? odd..

i experienced my first in Peru back in 07.. that one measured in at 8.0. it was intense, especially the amount of work we did during the aftermath.

Grant Fan

Practically Family
where ever you have mountains you have fault lines so while it isn't common for them to happen where it happened, but it is possible.

waffle

One of the Regulars
Grant Fan said:
where ever you have mountains you have fault lines so while it isn't common for them to happen where it happened it is possible.

yup, very true.. they just aren't very common. i believe there were some tremors out in NY just a couple of weeks ago.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
My first too - woke up to a weird rumbling sound and the glass doors on the fireplace in the bedroom were rattling. At first I thought it was the train (the tracks are about a quarter mile away) but the train isn't that loud and never caused the doors to rattle. I thought it might be a military plane - there seems to be a lot more of them in the DC area these days - but the sound continued for too long. Finally, just before it subsided, I woke up my wife and said "I think we're having an earthquake."

Best
Staggerwing

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80