Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Experienced my first earthquake this morning...

Quake

5284687520_01e81f789d_o.jpg
5284687544_4b95f75704_o.jpg

5284089797_00e513bd2e_o.jpg

Hi All,

We know that feeling as we went through a 7.1@10km deep back in September this year. We are still having aftershocks we had a 3.5 yesterday that makes approx 4087 so far. I spent a week digging out liquefaction form our house and the neighbors. The ground shifted my 3.5 meters horizontally and sunk by up to ½ a meter in places.

Quakes are no fun but one thing that our quake did was to bring out the best in people everyone was helping out. The local universities were closed so the students came to our town along with the army and the New Zealand All Blacks (Rugby Team) to help out. The power companies worked not stop as did the sewage contractors. Best of all, the locals rallied round to help each other making sure that water and food was available and that no one was alone during the aftershocks following the quake.

Over 1/3 of our homes in my home town will need to be rebuilt, we are looking to have this completed by 2013 it’s a big job and lots are people are making do this Christmas. We were lucky and had minimal damage our neighbors were not and their house is a write off (see images)
So I wish them all a safe and Happy Christmas and a speedy rebuild so they can be in their homes next year.
If you live in a quake zone!

Top Tip… make sure you have an emergency kit tucked away and if you have one already get it out and make sure your waters clean, batteries charged etc . It can happen anytime.

5284785980_49863f17f5_o.jpg

Happy Christmas

/|\

One of the Regulars
*sigh* I miss earthquakes.

I did get out of bed for one once. Northridge. I was in L.A., just north of Culver City. The 10 fell down near my apartment. I went out to watch the water slosh around in the pool, but my neighbours thought I was bringing the light out for them. So I didn't get to watch the waves. That's the only earthquake that I got up for. Usually I slept through them, or woke up and thought 'Umph. Earthquake,' and went back to sleep.

Up here I haven't felt any. All we have is a volcano, and it doesn't even erupt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats