Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Exploring the Uncharted Territory of Crocodile Leather Jackets

Stormlord

New in Town
Hey fellow leather enthusiasts!

I've been a huge fan of classic leather jackets from brands like Aero, Schott, and Vanson for as long as I can remember. I've practically become a connoisseur of hides, but lately, I've been itching to dive into the world of crocodile leather.

I've noticed that while there's a lot of chatter about horse leather jackets, the conversation around crocodile leather seems to be a bit hushed. Has anyone else considered investing in a crocodile leather jacket? I've got my eyes on one that's in a similar style to the iconic jackets I already love.

Before taking the plunge, I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with crocodile leather. How does it compare in terms of durability, properties, and overall wear? Are there specific things to consider when caring for crocodile leather?

Attached is an image of the jacket I'm eyeing. What are your thoughts?

Attachments

• 1faef953-21d9-4467-bde2-3f95edaab30c.jpeg
    1faef953-21d9-4467-bde2-3f95edaab30c.jpeg
    31.8 KB · Views: 176

TartuWolf

Practically Family
Looks like highly ornamented ancient Japan armor. Very cool as a collectible if you get one in real croc leather, but I cannot imagine actually wearing one anywhere else apart from some special/religious ceremonies or something like that.

Johnny Deadlifts

A-List Customer
Screenshot_20231201-035640.png
I think the example you pictured was an extremely ornate, overly done example. This version pictured is a more tastefully done; but still a bit too " stand outish" for me. Maybe if it was shaved down a bit more and not so scaley. I wonder what the feel and wear ability would be like? Could they get it supple or would it be like wearing a tire tread?

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Hey fellow leather enthusiasts!

I've been a huge fan of classic leather jackets from brands like Aero, Schott, and Vanson for as long as I can remember. I've practically become a connoisseur of hides, but lately, I've been itching to dive into the world of crocodile leather.

I've noticed that while there's a lot of chatter about horse leather jackets, the conversation around crocodile leather seems to be a bit hushed. Has anyone else considered investing in a crocodile leather jacket? I've got my eyes on one that's in a similar style to the iconic jackets I already love.

Before taking the plunge, I'd love to hear from anyone who has experience with crocodile leather. How does it compare in terms of durability, properties, and overall wear? Are there specific things to consider when caring for crocodile leather?

Attached is an image of the jacket I'm eyeing. What are your thoughts?
Stormlord - you are obviously free to venture into any of these areas for sure, and just walking through a Western shop here in the US you could see plenty of croc/lizard & snake skins on boots. For me, I'll leave this uncharted territory as just that -- uncharted.

Reminds me of getting a hug from a crocodile to be honest. :)

Stormlord

New in Town
Thank you all for your honest replies. I know my example is exaggerated but the question remains: why do I read so little about reptile leather. It seems horse still is number one for most. Is it a price question? Or just taste?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
A bit more subtle and I would wear it. I do prefer reptile hides on smaller items though. A sharkskin, even stingray, jacket would be more interesting to me. @red devil

Agreed. Wouldn’t be my first choice, but a bit more subdiued, I wouldn’t find it unwearable.
Would love to see a Stingray skin jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner