Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

extreme duty charges from DHL when not shipping EU to EU.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Then there is no more problem. I just ask them to sell my next jacket to me without VAT.
(i know it takes some paperwork but I´m sure they have people for that)

The problem with shipping to another country and then here is that my country is extreme. They will apply the VAT on the highest sum on the package, it doesnt matter if its a gift or if its a feather with a 5k insurance, its the highest number that they will charge. I have had real handmade gifts for me sent from California with an insurance and I had to pay to get it from the postoffice.

So someone would then have to send it to me with the risk of it being gone in the mail and then I have nothing to claim at all. The problem is also that you are *forced* to write whats inside the package and what its worth. Sure you could write "old clothes worth $10" but if someone opens the package then you are screwed. And also its the problem if it gets lost.

I actually had a close friend that bought something from ebay, and the customs called him and said he had to come to the office. They asked him how much is was worth and he said it was what was on the package, they didnt believe him, so they forced him to log into his ebay account to see how much he bought the thing for, and the most amusing of all is that right there was his message to the seller "please write a smaller amount on the package to avoid custom charges" LOL :D

Hei Griff!

You shouldn't be paying VAT at all, Norway is not a member of the EU. When I was last living in Norway I ordered an Irvin from Eastman Leather. The price I paid was minus VAT. However obviously when my jacket arrived in Norway, Posten charged a customs fee which I had to pay before collecting it.

If you have been charged VAT you should definitely advise Aero and demand a refund.

Hils og lykke til,

Tim

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Yes I know, and this Is why I asked about it. I just never thought about it until now because the value hasnt been that high.

I do feel that I as a customer should have asked Aero about it prior to the sale, and it feels a little awkward to ask them to dig up the old sale and do all the paperwork again. I know there is alot of paperwork.

I know of companies that just don't do it and you can take the item or leave it because it isn't worth it for them to do the paperwork.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran