Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

F/S IRVIN FLYING JACKET 1940 DATE SIZE 6

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This jacket goes on Ebay tonight at 8pm (Wed 15th April). It's a fantastic early War two panelled Irvin flying jacket, which is in very good condition. This jacket is from the 1939 Air Ministry contract (B25526/39/C.I.B) awarded to the premier maker, Irvin Air Chute. It has its original label which has the 1939 contract date and the year of manufacture-1940.

The jacket is labelled a size 6 and anyone who is familiar with Irvins will know that this is a rare larger size.

The honey-coloured sheepskin is in very good condition with slight wear to the ends of the cuffs and hem. The reversed sheepskin side of the jacket is a lovely chestnut brown and retains its original polyacrilic finish. It is supple and strong without any repairs, patches etc. The stitching is solid, original and all the contrasting tan leather seamtapes are original to the jacket.

All the zips are the original single trunnion brass Dot variety and are marked "Made in England". The leather zip pulls are all original. All the zips function smoothly with no missing teeth.

The collar strap is in pristine condition and the fixing rings are present. The jacket also has its original elastic strap. The waist belt is complete except for the small brass backing rings behind the eye holes, and the underarm gussets retain all their 9 vent rings.

The original chain hanger is present.

This jacket started life as an electrically wired Irvin for bomber crew. The wiring harness was removed along time ago as the stitch holes are now small and hard to see unless one looks carefully! The two metal spurs near the cuffs were to secure the heated gloves.

Measurements (from the outside): armpit to armpit: 24.5" (front and back), sleeves from shoulder seam to end of cuff: 27", across the shoulders: 22" and from the base of the collar to the hem at the back: 26". The measurements on the label assume the jacket was worn over a service uniform. It should fit someone with a chest size up to 44/46". It is a robust jacket which can be worn with confidence.

001-20.jpg

003-25.jpg

013-31.jpg

012-28.jpg

014-22.jpg

015-28.jpg

007-23.jpg

rikbb

Familiar Face
ELC size 42 equals which size original irvin?

Hello,
Eventhough this jacket is sold, I must say it is great.
I have a question. Having a ELC 4 panel 'irvin', size 42, from about 10 years ago,
I would like to know which size original irvin would fit me?
I am 6 foot, 41" breast.
Thanks for the info!

PS what is the best way to treat (oil, cream) a little bit drying ELC irvin (tiny cracks in the fleece)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass