Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fail Safe and Doctor Strangelove

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
I haven't seen Fail Safe.

But I have the DVD of Doctor Strangelove. The whole movie is so full of great scenes;

"gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room";lol

"Boy, a guy could have a good weekend in Las Vegas with that";)

"YEEEE HAWWW, YEAH, YEEE HAWWW":eek:

"I can't break into that. That's private property. OK, but you'll have to answer to Coca Cola for that":D

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Both are great films, but I'd say that the real masterpiece is "Dr.Strangelove.."
There are too many great quotes to list them all. The War Room scenes are filled with quotable lines. Slim Pickens role was originally going to be played by Peter Sellers and some footage was shot with him, but Kubrick wasn't satisfied and cast Slim Pickens instead. It's hard to imagine Major Kong being played by anyone else (although I'm sure that it would have been well done by Sellers who is brilliant throughout the film). A timely film for the cold war era and (perhaps, unfortunately) a timely film now. I don't have a copy yet, but plan to get the 40th anniversary collectors edition.

Quigley Brown

Call Me a Cab
I always read up on a film on the Internet Movie Database (before and after viewing). You can write your own review or if you know of any trivia or see any goofs in the film you can submit it to them and they check it out. If it's valid they will add that info in (I've had a couple items put on there...continuity errors in other films). An example of an error in Dr. Strangelove (maybe it was intentional)...as the B-52 is flying at low level over land you can see that the shadow is of a different kind of plane (B-17 I think).

Three key words to remember from Dr. Strangelove: 'Precious Bodily Fluids'

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
But I have the DVD of Doctor Strangelove. The whole movie is so full of great scenes;

"gentlemen, you can't fight in here this is the War Room";lol

I love that line! A couple months ago our headquarters section was being renovated, so the whole staff was working out of the conference room. It looked just like the war room. Just as I was walking in our Public Affairs folks were arguing about something, and I said, "Ladies, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!" They just looked at me. [huh] Well, I thought it was funny! I crack myself up!

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Slim Pickens

Was just a great actor. He was a rodeo clown before he went into movies. Legend has it that he was at a rodeo in Castro Valley, CA (east of Oakland) and he asked the promoter of the rodeo what did he think the chances were of him getting into film. The promoter answered back; "Slim Pickens" and that's how he got the name.lol I don't know how true it is, but if it is that's pretty funny.
In my DVD there is some additional commentary and someone comments that while filming at the studios in London, Slim Pickens walked in wearing cowboy boots, cowboy hat and a buckskin jacket. One of the Brits said; "look; Slim arrived in his costume" and he was told "no, that's how he always dresses.:)

falcodriver

New in Town
kinda remember the part about being tortured..............."Those Japanese,...crafty devil's....they sure make good radio's though"

Hacker

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, it goes a bit more like:

"Were you ever tortured, Mandrake?"

"Well, during the war, the Japanese... Yes, Jack, they tortured me - the devils! But the thing of it is... they make such bloody good cameras."

A brilliant, brilliant film.

falcodriver

New in Town
Doctor Strange said:
Actually, it goes a bit more like:

"Were you ever tortured, Mandrake?"

"Well, during the war, the Japanese... Yes, Jack, they tortured me - the devils! But the thing of it is... they make such bloody good cameras."

A brilliant, brilliant film.

Thanks for the correction, I knew I screwed it up...... geez, so many great lines though!

Hacker

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy