Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous ancestors?

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
It seems that everyone has some link to fame and or fortune in their family tree. If one can follow their lineage back far enough.
I am related, (however remotely) to none other than the Ringling family of circus fame. Back in Pittsburgh PA, a long time ago, Dorothy Ringling, one of the Ringling sisters, married some great, great uncle of mine.
Maybe she was disinherited, and this is why I am not a mega-millionaire circus tycoon today.
Oh well, :rolleyes:
So who are you related to?

Raegan

New in Town
I'm not related to anyone famous, at least I don't think so, but one of my best friends is. Abe Lincoln is her however many greats-uncle. I thought she was full of it at first but she showed me their family tree. I thought that was pretty cool.

My dad was researching our family tree. Apparently one of my ancestors was a lover of the famous Scottish folk "hero" Rob Roy MacGregor and bore a child by him who's offspring eventually leade to me. Who knows? Probably not, and genealogy doesn't interest me in the slightest, but there you go. that's my famous ancestor ... apparently.

bk

Steve

Practically Family
Distantly, my mother's side goes back to Andrew Jackson and Stonewall Jackson. ON my dad's side, we go back to a Captain Benjamin Merrell, who was executed for treason against the British Crown during the pre-Revolutionary War skirmishes. Hung, beheaded, drawn and quartered, and his entrails cut out and burned. Quite the ancestry.

Elaina

One Too Many
No one famous, more infamous. Couple outlaws or three, couple black dutch gypsies. Nothing major, really. Apparently had a relative (that's so disowned it's not funny) who was in Vaudville. One of my Great grandmothers designed for Hollywood Patterns and was Al Capone's tailor.

Had another relative that was a political advisor for the Confederate side. Another one who was a high up officer (brothers) in the Union side. Another set of great, great..uncles who were labeled traitors by the Union and had to leave the country. Rather small stuff.

My dad's mother is one of the See's related to the candy company. And who can forget the Quackenbush nutcrackers (also family) just not close enough to earn any money from it darnit.

Elaina

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Jefferson

Apparently Thomas Jefferson and I have a common ancestor. That would be through my paternal grandmother, Myrtle Jefferson. Never independently verified it, however, that's the family story.

yachtsilverswan

Familiar Face
Captain Benjamin Merrell - Steve's famous ancestor

Being a Tarheel born and a Tarheel bred, I have heard of Steve's Revolutionary ancestor and his brutal execution.

Details of Captain Merrell's final days are found here:

http://www.tamu.edu/ccbn/dewitt/mckstmerreg.htm

pughmemki6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Heros like this still walk among us. But it's not the manner of their death that makes them heros; it is instead the strength of character modeled by their lives.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
Fred G. said:
Alleged to be related to Chief Powhatan and Pocahontas on Mom's side. It's hard to prove that of course...

We have the same story in my family. It is not true of course. Pocahontas did have children, so they are not impossible to trace. I've seen her family tree on genealogy sites.

How famous do you want? I am a descendant of the Lady Godiva of Coventry.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Raegan said:
I'm not related to anyone famous, at least I don't think so, but one of my best friends is. Abe Lincoln is her however many greats-uncle. I thought she was full of it at first but she showed me their family tree. I thought that was pretty cool.

That is cool. I've always wanted to dig into the past and see just who some more of my ancesters were. But it seems to be an awful lot of work to do. And now that my grand parents are gone, it would make it even more difficult to trace my family tree.

Cobden

Practically Family
Loosely related to Richard Cobden, a British Liberal Party Politician who had the Corn Laws repealed and was quite well known in his day.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
I have two famous ancestors:

William Bradford, my 15th-great grandfather, came to the US on the Mayflower and was the governor of the Plymouth colony in Massachusetts.

Lady Godiva, my 20th-great granmother, is famous for riding naked through the streets of Coventry, England circa 1057 in protest of the high taxes imposed on the citizens by her husband.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
You're cousins!

SinatraStyle said:
I have two famous ancestors:

William Bradford, my 15th-great grandfather, came to the US on the Mayflower and was the governor of the Plymouth colony in Massachusetts.

Lady Godiva, my 20th-great granmother, is famous for riding naked through the streets of Coventry, England circa 1057 in protest of the high taxes imposed on the citizens by her husband.

Or something like that.

Originally posted by Tourbillion;
"How famous do you want? I am a descendant of the Lady Godiva of Coventry."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner