Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous ancestors?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
More recently- Olivia De Havilland.

A while back- a Sicilian immigrant violin seller, Guiseppe Caselli.

Way long ago, Pirates and -wreckers from the South Coast of England, more precisely Cornwall and the Scilly Isles.

Sicily and the Scilly Isles.

B
T

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Marc, those pics are wonderful! What a cool ancestor.

Hey, off topic, but have you seen Platinum Blonde? Queenie and I are convinced you look like the lead man in there. You sure you're not related to any Hollywood stars? :p

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Marc Chevalier said:
Mr. Sable has opened my eyes: "Lucy" (or "Lucian", if male) is indeed my most famous ancestor.

Mitochondrial Eve (mt-mrca) is the name given by researchers to the woman who is the matrilineal most recent common ancestor for all living humans, from whom all mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) in living humans is derived. She is believed to have lived about 150,000 years ago in what is now Ethiopia, Kenya or Tanzania.
She was recently alleged to have been contacted by an American psychic and was said to be "very disappointed"...
lol

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
I remember my dad telling me that his great-uncle was a horse trainer who worked on The Lone Ranger with the horse (Silver?). But I don't know any more about it than that. I should ask though, I think my boy might like that since we live in Texas now and he thinks cowboys are pretty neat.

Michaelson

One Too Many
I recently discovered that my family was once the head armorer to the King of Sweden, back in the 1100's. They apparently ended up in Wales as blacksmiths.

Regards! Michaelson

ortega76

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Now that is very cool. I've always been fascinated by Zapata, Villa, et al. Tell us more, please!

My Great-Grandfather and Grandfather both rode with Zapatista after enlisting in and leaving the Mexican Army.

My great-grandfather became a Col. in a field promotion as relatively young man. He witnessed his unit's commander catch a bullet during some type of skirmish. My great-grandfather took up command and was awarded a promotion when they returned.

My grandfather was just a boy when he followed my great grandfather to join Zapata. It was largely due to being mestizo- half-Mayan (or Indian) and half-Spanish that they followed Zapata. As a note, the racial politics of Mexico are a bit odd to outsiders, even myself. When Zapata refused to stand down, my great grandfather and grandfather still rode until the day my greatgrandfather was killed while attempting to flee from arrest. My grandfather later snuck back into town and killed the sheriff and bounty hunters responsible. He slipped across the border into the US, changed his name (from Jesus Salvador Ortega to Salvador J Ortega) and eventually came to Chicago where my family has been ever since. There was still a warrant for his arrest (despite my grandfather passing away in 1965).

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey Sunny,

Sunny said:
I'm a direct descendant of Samuel A. Maverick, the Texan who inspired both definitions of his name:

1. An unbranded range animal, especially a calf that has become separated from its mother, traditionally considered the property of the first person who brands it.
  2. One that refuses to abide by the dictates of or resists adherence to a group; a dissenter.
adj. Being independent in thought and action or exhibiting such independence: maverick politicians; a maverick decision.

[Origin: 1865–70, American; after Samuel Augustus Maverick (1803–70), Texas pioneer who left his calves unbranded]

The whole extended family still all act like Mavericks!

Who was your favorite Maverick, Bret or Bart??? :D

-dixon cannon

Sunny

One Too Many
Dixon Cannon said:
Who was your favorite Maverick, Bret or Bart??? :D

-dixon cannon
Either I am far too young, or my knowledge of popular culture is far too classic, for I haven't the faintest idea what you're talking about. :p

Retro Grouch

One of the Regulars
My great, great uncle was an actor in over 300 movies. "No one got beat up more than Charlie King."
http://www.surfnetinc.com/chuck/cking.htm

I am probably related to "Big Nose" George Parrott, "the most hated man in Wyoming".
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~parrottreilly/Big Nose George PARROTT.html

v-cking.jpg

Tom

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Boomer Dixon

Dixon Cannon,

See a when an FL member doesn't know what your talking about :eek:
That could only mean BOOMERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR lol

SC ;)

Riding from New Orleans living on Jacks & Queens Maverick is the legend of the West. HOWS THAT :eusa_clap

MissMissy

One of the Regulars
MissMissy said:
I remember my dad telling me that his great-uncle was a horse trainer who worked on The Lone Ranger with the horse (Silver?). But I don't know any more about it than that. I should ask though, I think my boy might like that since we live in Texas now and he thinks cowboys are pretty neat.

Oops, I was misinformed. I guess my great-great uncle was a horse trainer who worked for Roy Rogers on his ranch. Roy Rogers' horse was Trigger. My great-great uncle apparently really disliked Roy Rogers. He told my dad that he was the most arrogant man he'd met and that he was cruel to his horses. I hope maybe that was an exagertation.[huh] I thought Roy Rogers was the family friendly Singing Cowboy?

BJonas

One of the Regulars
I have distant relatives that went down on the Titanic. They were rich, and they were coming from Scotland to give my grandmother's family a ton of money. But the boat sank, and my family stayed poor. (How do I insert one of those violin-playing smileys here?)

Incidently, I used to work with a guy who was related to someone on the Enola Gay:eek:

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Fairly recently:

One of my great uncles was a professor at MIT and co-authored a book that is very well-known in that field (Prescott & Dunn's Industrial Microbiology).

My stepbrother is a Nashville musician and has toured with quite a few modern country musicians. He toured with Mark Wills (modern country singer) for a couple of years, and has very little good to say about Mark. He had an offer from Loretta Lynn, but she doesn't tour enough for it to be profitable for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner