Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous hat

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
In another thread, the Bowery Boys were mentioned, etc.

I just found out something interesting regarding the hat worn by Leo Gorcey.

Here is a neat thing to do you your favorite fedora:

THE HAT

Many readers have emailed asking me what ever happened to my father's famous pinned up fedora. Well, the answer is...The Bowery Boy had 'The Hat' bronzed! Currently, 'The Hat' (pictured at right) resides with my sister at Mt. Dora, Florida. As an aside, while my father was living on Brandy Lee Ranch in Northern California, the Smithsonian Institute made a request to put 'The Hat' in their famous museum. In true Bowery Boy fashion, Slip told the Smithsonian to take a flying leap!

Wild Root

Gone Home
Well yeah, I agree. But, you know it would have been moth eaten and in even worse shape if it had not been dipped. Oh well, what can ya do? This way it will be around for future generations to see and learn of who he really was.

See ya in the funny papers,

Root.

Wild Root

Gone Home
True, if it were kept in a good place like most of our hats from that time we have, it would have been a very nice addition to the family tree, or hat rack. LOL

But, knowing how other people can be, they might have left it to the moths and such.

My friend Josh has rescued many things that came from actresses from the 40's that their kids were going to throw a way! He has boxes full of photos, documents and stuff that would be considered very collectable.

So, just goes to show that no matter how famous some one is, their family may think it not so special in years to come.

But, never the less, it would have been nice to see that hat with out it's coat of bronz.

Root.

I can agree with you there. Children who grow up around the trapsings of high fashion and glitz pay no mind to vintage accoutrements. They are just old to them and their quest is for what in chic now---considering that if you keep something long enough the fashion cycle will hit it again eventually. Then again some things never go out of style.
Josh has probably saved many things from the dump that will be appreciated for another generation. If I were you, I would go along with him when he has a hunch. ;)

Regards to all,

J

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I think a bronze hat is a bit gross. But, then, I think my old baby shoes are gross, too. Not only were they bronzed, but (sign of the times) they were mounted on an ashtray!

Somebody who preserved things was Roy Rogers, the movie/TV star. I visited his Roy Rogers Museum when it was still in Victorville and found he had whole rooms containing his boots, hats, saddles -- and wildest of all, --he had Trigger, Trigger Jr., Buttermilk (Dale Evan's horse) and Bullet stuffed!

Some folks would say that was going a bit too far. One such person was Dale, who, when asked what she thought of him having his beloved horses and dog stuffed, said "When I found out what he had done, I realized I had to outlive him."

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran