Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Famous People in Flight Jackets

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Can people please note names too. I have no idea who tbose last two old guys are. I am bad at faces.
Sorry, good point. The man in the burgundy leather jacket is George Lazenby, while the man in the sweat pants, sneakers, nylon jacket, with ball cap pulled down over his eyes is Daniel Craig. Both played James Bond: Lazenby in the 1960s, and Craig in the past decade.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, yep I know who they are, I just don't always recognize celebrities in photos. Lazenby was not much of a Bond but his movie is among the best.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
tumblr_kq8ynjOAK31qzfye6.jpg

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
^ and who's this?
"US Navy Skyraider pilot of the early 60s". Don't know the name, just a photo I saw on the interweb. He's not famous but we don't have a thread for "regular joes in flight jackets" so I posted it here. And amazingly, we don't have single big A2 or G1 threads like we do for RAF/Irvin sheepskin jackets, we have hundreds of threads.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
Maybe we should.
Come to think of it, we don't even have a B3 / US shearling thread. But forums are difficult to manage: if you're a moderator/owner you either ruthlessly combine threads into single topic threads, or you let people post multiple threads on the same topic. The first has the benefit of keeping all the info on a certain topic in one place, like the Irvin repro and Irvin vintage threads, or the peacoat thread, thus creating some great reference threads, but it can come across as heavy-handed to new members or free spirits. Anyways, whatever, haha

Kowaco

New in Town
Look at the tiny hands trying to peak out. Like a baby sea turtle poking out of its shell for the first time, unsure and far from confident...and then the mad dash for safety in the sea.

Melanie looks good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maverickson

Familiar Face

This image of the VA-152 member and patch seen attached to that aviator's flight jacket strikes home for me through my late father CDR. E.E. "Buck" Sheeley USN retired. Moreover, I am aware that the large patch seen attached to that fellow's jacket seen exiting the Skyraider was given to those members in 1965. More than likely this picture was taken at NAS Lemoore & between combat deployments while aboard the USS Oriskany (CVA-34).

The patch seen worn on that aviator is of a WW-1 Spad and nick name for the Skyraider. Included on that patch were the words LIGHT BOMBARDMENT & TWILIGHT PURSUIT SQUADRON and moniker that would later include MAVERICKS when VA-152 would come under the command of my father.

Interesting enough my late father became affiliated with VA-152 when the Air Ops to the Commander Of The Air Group CVW-16 was KIA in 1965 as seen here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_J._Taylor while flying a VA-152 Skyraider and my father was Jesse Taylor's volunteer replacement.

Father would then fly two combat deployments as Air Ops to the CAG and all aboard USS Oriskany. One of his many missions he flew also included the McCain shoot down over Hanoi in 1968 and he is in fact mentioned in this link https://unpblog.com/2018/05/21/exce...W5p4Om1wRVRsHgO2h6Mp9tz4CaMqWSsoVNZXUUqX6E_6E. Unlike most of those USS Oriskany attack squadron aviators my father was a lucky survivor & finished out his two combat deployments and came home.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana