Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fancy Ribbons and Vintage Hats

It ain't a hat, but it is ribbon, and it is fancy, and it is vintage, so I suppose it goes in this thread.

I've yet to use so much as an inch of it, but I'm confident that either I or a customer will come up with an idea for it.

GEDC1254.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
It ain't a hat, but it is ribbon, and it is fancy, and it is vintage, so I suppose it goes in this thread.

I've yet to use so much as an inch of it, but I'm confident that either I or a customer will come up with an idea for it.

Tony, you could whip up a Checkerberry or a Checkmate.....

B

mallory_1913_checkerberry_feb.jpg

mallory_1913_checkmate_feb.jpg

Wow, checks on checks. I think I'm feeling seasick.

Any idea as to the vintage of those ads, Bill? That style looks to me like a (blessedly) short-lived fad. Still, in the unlikely event I came across one at a reasonable price, I'd probably buy it, just for the novelty of it.

Jeepers, nearly a hundred years ago.

I seriously doubt that my roll of checkered ribbon, while indeed vintage stuff, is even close to that old. Maybe there was a revival of the look at one point, or demand from hatters rebuilding such hats.

That U.S. Character brand, from U.S. Hat Band Mills of New York, seems to be the most common stuff out there. Has me wondering how long they were in business.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate

GEDC1254.jpg

Send it down Bubba, I have an idea for it!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Maybe not so fancy, but certainly elegant and vintage. This is on my Lee "Corral."

imagevtuj.jpg

I like that one. Definitely elegant, but simple enough in its beauty to be part of the hats character and not overpowering the entire character of the hat. In fact, there's quite a few very nice ribbons throughout this thread that are both simple and elegant. Very nice.

Last edited:
Well, I have finnally got around to adding ribbons to a couple of hats that either arrived without or just needed a new one.......
This Resistol "designer" navy blue velour hat from the early 70's arrived without one.......though it showed evidence of one of those narrow woven felt ones I do not care for anyway.....
20191016_091736.jpg
20191016_091757.jpg

This fuzzy Borsalino just needed a new ribbon......
20191016_091601.jpg

As you can see I really like a frayed end.........Now this last straw had a trashed ribbon......went for an extra long three pleat tail on this one......
20191016_091922.jpg

And while I was at it I made two more ribbons that are now in need of a hat....:rolleyes:
1571237009935459457049.jpg

M;)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic