Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I don't know if someone has already mentioned Ugg boots paired with a short skirt and a giant furry parka, but I think it bears repeating as one of the least logical fashions to hit my old high school in the last three years.

EDIT! Skinny jeans, stupid hip T-shirt, and an unbuttoned vest! These guys might as well be holding signs asking me to punch them in the face.

donCarlos

Practically Family
KeyGrip said:
and an unbuttoned vest!
Are you sure? Do we mean the same thing? (shots taken from The Godfather) I can´t see what´s wrong there...
vesta_kmotr1.jpg
vesta_kmotr1_2.jpg

anglophile

One of the Regulars
I don't get this look. a collared shirt underneath a sweater.
A classic clean look but then the shirt talls are visible untucked.

Also long ties with a tuxedo.

The whole informal formal thing, choose one and go with it.

I could go on but I won't.

CharlesB

Suspended
I must say that I can be pretty anal about dressing. That being said...I have always and will always wear my Converses with every thing. Suits, jeans, it doesnt matter. The day I cant wear a pair of converse all star high tops with a suit, is the day the terrorists win!

kschurch

Vendor
anglophile said:
I don't get this look. a collared shirt underneath a sweater.
A classic clean look but then the shirt talls are visible untucked.

Also long ties with a tuxedo.

The whole informal formal thing, choose one and go with it.

I could go on but I won't.

I must agree with the necktie with tuxedo. I hate it!

A tuxedo is a tuxedo due it's specific pieces which create the whole perfect look.

donCarlos

Practically Family
Mr. Rover said:
I don't know about you, but looking like a fat, sweaty, balding mafioso is not my idea of being stylish.
don´t worry, mine neither :) I meant the pictures more like illustration that it is possible to wear it and stay authentic. I have absolutely nothing against unbuttoned vests, when worn with some "normal" clothes. (and by "normal" I mean that what others would call "formal" today) I may be naive, but I still think the The Godfather may be quite good resource :)

Maguire

Practically Family
baseball caps worn anywhere outside of a baseball stadium, especially this new flatbilled thing going on.
Jeans worn anywhere outside of a manual labor environment
Pajamas worn outside of the bedroom/household (i see this in school constantly)
sneakers worn for any other reason but exercising

Crocs, men wearing sandals, Uggs,

Then again, for me i don't like seeing t shirts worn as anything but undershirts and i'm not particularly fond of polo shirts either. But the things that will drive me nuts without exception are in bold

DerMann

Practically Family
CharlesB said:
I must say that I can be pretty anal about dressing. That being said...I have always and will always wear my Converses with every thing. Suits, jeans, it doesnt matter. The day I cant wear a pair of converse all star high tops with a suit, is the day the terrorists win!
I, for one, support the fashion terrorists :\

Too many times have I seen "Chucks" worn with everything from shorts to tuxedos. People, not saying you in particular, need to understand that you just do not wear certain articles of clothing together. Also, a bit vice versa on the subject, people wearing work and combat boots for daily dress (when they're not required, e.g. school) also peeve me.

On a bit of a tangent, when I got my new spectators in, my brother saw the black and white pair and said, "Aw dude, same colour!" as he pointed to the pair of converse on his feet. Had to put my face in my palm that time.

Another rage inducer are the people think spectators and brogues are more formal than a pair of patent leather, plain toe oxfords just because they "look fancy."

donCarlos

Practically Family
I finally looked up what you all mean by the "crocs". I never learned how are these gum shoe parodies called. If there is ever going to be end of the world, it will surely have something to do with crocs.

Naama

Practically Family
HadleyH said:
You have a problem with skinny jeans? wow... i love skinny jeans! [huh]

I also love skinny jeans! It might sound odd, but my legs look way thinner in skinny jeans then they do in wide legged pants!

And I also love guys in skinny jeans, the thighter the better ;)

Naama

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
KeyGrip said:
I don't know if someone has already mentioned Ugg boots paired with a short skirt and a giant furry parka, but I think it bears repeating as one of the least logical fashions to hit my old high school in the last three years.

EDIT! Skinny jeans, stupid hip T-shirt, and an unbuttoned vest! These guys might as well be holding signs asking me to punch them in the face.

Don't come to Leeds. That's all quite common here.

frijoli

One of the Regulars
Naama said:
I also love skinny jeans! It might sound odd, but my legs look way thinner in skinny jeans then they do in wide legged pants!

And I also love guys in skinny jeans, the thighter the better ;)

Naama

What are skinny jeans?

Edward

Bartender
I used to adore my drainpipe jeans.... I'd been into them for years, of course, long, long before they became fashionabled here again. alas, I'm simply too fat to look good in them as I teeter further into middle age, so I'm largely sticking with a looser cut, fifties style in the jeans department nowadays. As a general rule, I try to be open minded about clothes and individual self expression - while I think some things look hideous, I do appreciate individuality. What I do dislike intensely is the adoption of a look as "uniform," when punk, goth, emo, or even vintage is worn like a costume rather than clothes. The point at which, however off mainstream it happens to be, it becomes just as conformist as anything on the high street.

There are particular pet hates i have, though. The most common ones of late have been:

- men wearing an anorak which is shorter than the suit jacket below it
- men wearing ratty old trainers to and from the office.... I understand that ladies find heels a bit much for hours on end (hell, I've been there and worn 5" heels for 8 hours at a stretch, I know all about it, girls), but really there's no need for a guy to switch out of shoes (assuming they're decent shoes, broken in, and the lack of any medical reason).
- Of late, I've seen very many men wearing db jackets and blazers...... gaping wide open. Something about a DB jacket (it's fine with overcoats, though) gaping like that just looks all kinds of swrong to me.

Re Converse, I love those. For an informal situation, they look fine with a suit to me, on the proviso that it is a genuine chocie of the individual rather than some tedious "look at me! I'm a rebel!" type "statement." I used to buy nothing but Converse for my sneaker needs, though alas that had to come to an end when they were bought out by Nike. I'll probably, when time and budget allow, pick up a couple of pairs of PF Flyers, as well as some Ethletic models.

Oh.... here's a thing that drives me nuts: too-long jeans trodden on til they wear to a ragged tail at the back. Simply hideous. I admit I buy mine too long on purpose - so that I can have the cuffed look I like. But to walk on them til they fray out? Seriously, whoever decided that tramp-chic was the way to go?

Hiphop wear I dislike intensely..... Much as I love man-jewellery and other accoutrement, there's nothing subtle about hip hop. I find it overly obvious, and rather crass in its celebration of conspicuous consumption - like the worst elements of the 80s all over again. That and I can't disassociate it from the negative elements of hip hop in terms of prejudice, glorification of criminality, misogyny and tedious, tedious, tedious male-macho meathead behaviour. Anyone so obssessed with being a "real man" cannot be one, IMO.

I do enjoy though seeing kids who are experimenting with their own look. The teeny goth kids are fun to me - sure, they might get it wrong a lot, they might look daft, but the ones that are looking for their own thing (rather than some all-in-one mall bought goth costume) I applaud. Eventually, they will find something that will be thier own thing, and I think that's just grand. I experimented a lot myself until I found what works for me (which eventually led to these parts...).

The Hoody I like. Not as retro as most things I go for, but a nice modern addition in the rockabilly / psychobilly end of things for me. Tremendously practical garment when travelling or hiking. I have a few, quite oftem wear them layered under a leather jacket. not my primary look of choice these days, but certainly still one i like. The right hoody can be a nice thing. not too big, and yes.... the baseball cap thing.... well, stylish it ain't, though it did grow out of a practical reason rather than a direct style choice (i.e. for the young hoodlum elements, it makes it that much harder to be caught on CCTV...).

alexandra said:
My mum suggested a hot toddy too. Great minds I guess!

For best effect, use something decent from the Bushmills distilley, won't you? Oldest, licensed whiskey distillery in the world, and still the outright best. ;)

I still can't believe that rat ripped up my favourite hoody. Sometimes I lie in bed and think about it and get filled with this burning rage. People say it's irrational and I shouldn't be thinking about that still, but I do!

Losing a favourite garment to damage or whatever is very annoying - hell, I go mad over a mothhole. Combine that with the sense of violation / invasion by an ex, and, well.... your reaction is entirely understandable. "All" that happened to me with one particularly messy split was my email being hacked for months without my knowledge and getting libelled all over the web (happened still on occasion several years after too). Thing is, people like that sooner or later reveal themselves for who they are, but losing a favourite item of clothing.... that sucks.

Anyway thanks for saying I was pretty. Both pictures were those "caught off guard while turning to face the camera" poses so they're a bit awkward, but I never thought to take a portrait of me in that hoody...I thought we'd have a lifetime together *sob*!

At least you have the memories and the photos, eh? I'm sure it was a delightful hoody, though TBH it ain't the clothes I'm noticing in that shot. ;)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Hiphop wear I dislike intensely..... Much as I love man-jewellery and other accoutrement, there's nothing subtle about hip hop. I find it overly obvious, and rather crass in its celebration of conspicuous consumption - like the worst elements of the 80s all over again. That and I can't disassociate it from the negative elements of hip hop in terms of prejudice, glorification of criminality, misogyny and tedious, tedious, tedious male-macho meathead behaviour. Anyone so obssessed with being a "real man" cannot be one, IMO.

You've got an ally there Edward. Possibly the most ridiculous look out there. Trousers and jeans that look like one's incontinent and has to wear nappies under the things. Those bloody awful "sports singlet" things with the tiny ventilation holes in them (once again 53 and a half sizes too large), the baseball cap at an angle that makes one look too retarded to have the motor skills to put the thing on straight, and all that jewellery, especially those gold painted lavatory chains round the neck. Team it up with those hand gestures that look like someone is in the terminal stages of tetanus and there you have it, the most stupid look currently known to mankind.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany