Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
And are they ever ugly!
I just hate culottes, no matter what era.
But I like plus-fours on girls, a la garconne, with fancy socks. So it isn't the length, it is more that the wide leg so high up makes everyone look broad in the beam.
And regarding pants under dresses, you could tell who the poor girls were in my early-mid 60s grade school, because their parents made them wear their pants under their dresses in the winter. Tights were too expensive.

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
John in Covina said:
I am sure we'll get some responses to this
Well I'm not going to be improper and let you down!

It depends heavily on the person whether or not I agree or disagree with you.

Joe Lookatme who walks into a parlor and gets the cheapest flash (or his initials....WHY) tattooed below the sleeves is a moron. Joe Lookatme probably also has his ears pierced to sport some bling. Joe gives everyone a bad name.

But body modification is a legitimate (sub)culture that has existed almost as long as man has. Even remote tribes paint and/or pierce themselves. It exists for various reasons (spiritual, aesthetic, or as a way of asserting one's will over one's body).

Proper tattoos by real artists are very meaningful things. I plan on getting tattoos, and when I do it will be by reputed artists most likely out of state and no doubt at a good cost. I would stretch my lobes if I wasn't an athlete (rugby and water polo... people go for that intentionally).

So I respectfully agree to disagree unless under a certain pretext...wherein I wholeheartedly agree...!
It isn't what you wear, it's why you wear it. My peeves mostly follow this frame of mind.

ortega76

Practically Family
John in Covina said:
You can't get a Mohawk and expect people not to look!

I have to question if that underaged teen actually knows what that tounge piercing is actually for, making a decision to get one if they don't know and what their parents influence is on them if they do know.

I don't think the "looking" is what many young people dislike, it's the nudges or comments that accompany these looks. Those on this board who dress vintage or wear fedoras dislike the "stupid comments" (as is evidenced by the long threads here), so we know the mentality.

My wife and I have many tattoos and a few piercings. We know lots of people into piercings- some young and some old. Some work as mechanics and some work in corporate gigs. Do the younger ones always appreciate the ramifications of their choices- in many cases I would say yes. A big part of a tattoo artist's or piercer's job is to make sure someone really wants to have their work done. I know several tattoo artists that would not, under any circumstance, tattoo a teen (with parental permission) in a place not able to be covered by a t-shirt and shorts.

Piercings are great way to teach a teen responsibility for their own health and body image. Every piercing has aftercare and they have to attend to it. A piercing can be a real self-esteem boost because it's something that the teen can share or not share with others and help them be more comfortable in their body. For some, it's a connection to an ancestral culture or even an affinity to a foreign culture.

My wife's 9 year old has grown up around tattoos and knows they are a responsibility and a tool for self expression. He got his ears pierced last summer and he likes the small captive bead ring in each ear. His questions about tattoos have allowed us to explore other art and cultures with him. When my wife got peonies tattooed in a japanese style, he wanted to know what it meant. Since it was a memorial for my wife's grandmother, we did a family tree. Since the art was Japanese, we took him the museum to look at woodblock prints and kimonos and swords! Do all parents or kids do this? No, but they should and it's a great way to appreciate things beyond one's narrow world view.

hotrodmama0201

Familiar Face
My two cents

I hate alot of the "pretty boy" clothes for men that are around now. Like, hoodies with sequins or rhinestones on them!!?? OK, I'm sorry but unless it's Halloween I don't think men should wear sequins or rhinestones. I see so many of these kids come into my club....one guy the other night had on rhinestone sunglasses (yes he left them on inside) a Ed Hardy t-shirt with sequins on it, a rhinestone wallet chain and jeans with some sort of design on the pockets....and yes....with sequins.
While I'm on my Ed Hardy soapbox.........

The way young spoiled rich Hollywood kids have taken over Ed Hardy designs on EVERYTHING (trucker hats, handbags, you name it) But that's thanks to some designer who decided to make a whole line of runway fashion out of old tattoo flash. Oh, and Paris Hilton wore it....so then of course it's "hot"

As a matter of fact speaking of which trucker hats I hate those too. Thanks Ashton Kutcher :rage:

And now for a picture that I just love....and pretty much sums up my feelings....hope you guys get a good laugh.

Retro66

New in Town
reetpleat said:
I really have to disagree. Cowboy boots are cool on any number of people. many men would look silly in anything else. I have a few pairs but never really wear them. Not really me.

Wearing boots off a ranch are no worse than us wearing old clothes of a different era.

:eusa_clap Well said!

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
hotrodmama0201 said:
And now for a picture that I just love....and pretty much sums up my feelings....hope you guys get a good laugh.
[Removed for language. -HJ]

Yeah, dude cleavage isnt all that great.

LD

Grant Fan

Practically Family
hotrodmama0201 said:
[Removed. -HJ]

Ahh that's awful if my boyfriend ever tried to wear something like that I would be so embarrassed. Oh goodness that's just not cute :eusa_doh: It looks like some guy hijacked his girlfriends t-shirt.

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:
back in my day (old man rant) we were rather creative (new wave days) and whatever look you wanted to do was cool as long as it was original and creative. these kids today all just copy trends.

I think every movement draws that element, unfortunately, if it lasts long enough. I've heard that during the second flush of punk rock in England, in 77, an awful lot of people adopted it as a 'uniform,' missing the point about self expression entirely. I saw it during the metal years myself: what was supposed to be the ultimate 'wild man-freedom' musical experience descended quickly into: "you don't have long hair / tight enough trousers, you don't belong." More rules than freedom. Again with grunge.... and heaven help you nowadays if you self-identify as a 'punk' - there'll be a dozen bitter old fools round the corner just ready to deride you and claim you're not a punk because you don't have the right hair, or you hold down a 9 to 5, or value an education or whatever. :rolleyes:

Of course, it seems to me that it is getting worse nowadays because while there might be more diversity and more options available to the individual with the internet and so on, it seems to me also that the mushrooming of one-stop shops for goths, rockabillies, so many tribes, has led a lot of people to be lazy about their look, sporting entire outfits, wardrobes even in some cases, from one line, and thus looking merely costumey in the process.

Or I could just be getting old.... :p

Feraud

Bartender
Edward said:
Of course, it seems to me that it is getting worse nowadays because while there might be more diversity and more options available to the individual with the internet and so on, it seems to me also that the mushrooming of one-stop shops for goths, rockabillies, so many tribes, has led a lot of people to be lazy about their look, sporting entire outfits, wardrobes even in some cases, from one line, and thus looking merely costumey in the process.

Or I could just be getting old.... :p
No Edward, it is not you getting old. I've always felt the ability to walk into a shop (online or brick and mortar) for an entire look takes the spirit out of having such style. The ability to point to a mannequin at The Gap and say "I want THAT look " undermines the spirit of guys like Dean Martin, Brando, Dean, Sid Vicous, Grant, Astaire, etc., etc.

Or maybe I am getting old! :)

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
No Edward, it is not you getting old. I've always felt the ability to walk into a shop (online or brick and mortar) for an entire look takes the spirit out of having such style. The ability to point to a mannequin at The Gap and say "I want THAT look " undermines the spirit of guys like Dean Martin, Brando, Dean, Sid Vicous, Grant, Astaire, etc., etc.

Or maybe I am getting old! :)

Well, you might be getting into trouble there, because many of our golden era icons always went to one tailor. But still, I get the point.

I would say that while there is more info available, the pervasiveness of major media has resulted into avery homogenized look for any particular trend. and while we are in an era where freedom of expression through clothing is at an all time high, were are also in an era where large corporations make a huge profit by making sure we all look different in the exact same way. I doubt there is much possibility of truly organic street trends. And even if they ar, they do not spread organically. Designers pull things right off the underground scenes of NEw York or Japan or where ever, and rather than let them spread organically, evolving along the way, they immediately copy (sorry, are "influenced by") and sell it at malls across america.

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Lady Day said:
I dont know.....:rolleyes:

4411_1.jpg

I think these look pretty cool...Granted they are from the 30s, but still.

LD

See, *those* are nice-looking. Not in a glamourous, evening dress way, but in a practical outdoorsy way. IIRC, the actress in the 1930s version of King Solomon's Mines may have worn culottes. (That, or a split skirt...I haven't sat down and watched the whole thing yet.)

Now, the modern gaucho or denim versions, those aren't so good. Kind of like so many modern wide-legged pants.

BlindeMan

Familiar Face
Sorry Max Flash - took a bit of time to get a chance to reply...

Max Flash said:
I agree on all the list items above but am slightly confused by this one. Do you have an pictorial example? I can't see why this would be offensive in itself but am perhaps missing the point!

I'm certain that others will see absolutely nothing wrong with this, but I have never liked this look:

http://lf.hatworld.com/hwl?set=sku[20007949],d[2000],c[2],w[615],h[461]&load=url[file:product]

OR

http://lf.hatworld.com/hwl?set=sku[20028828],d[2002],c[2],w[615],h[461]&load=url[file:product]

Sorry - had to post links rather than pics. There is a "colon small case p" which becomes :p and screws up posting the pic.

Take Care,

BlindeMan

dschonn

Familiar Face
I am new here. Hello.

I watched The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon on Christmas because apparently our hero Humphrey was born on the 25th of December and TCM likes to celebrate that kind of thing. Anyway, I noticed a few things about the clothing, because I pay attention to that kind of thing. In The Maltese Falcon, the hotel manager (or whoever that was) who shoos Wilmer out of the lobby wears his double-breasted suit coat open with a vest underneath. I've also heard that vests are unnecessary under double-breasted suit coats because they should never hang open. In The Big Sleep, Philip Marlowe only ever buttons the bottom button of his overcoat (not the trench coat; the one without a belt). I've heard from many, many sources that that is the one button that should never be buttoned. I also saw the movie Holiday with Cary Grant and Katharine Hepburn, in which the inimitable Mr. Grant wears a three button suit with all the buttons buttoned, another clear violation of the don't-button-the-bottom-button rule.

Now, what this tells me is that either these "rules" are not nearly as hard and fast as many fashion nazis would have us believe, or that the likes of Cary Grant and Humphrey Bogart weren't very stylish. What do you all think?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
BlindeMan said:
Sorry Max Flash - took a bit of time to get a chance to reply...

I'm certain that others will see absolutely nothing wrong with this, but I have never liked this look:

http://lf.hatworld.com/hwl?set=sku[20007949],d[2000],c[2],w[615],h[461]&load=url[file:product]

OR

http://lf.hatworld.com/hwl?set=sku[20028828],d[2002],c[2],w[615],h[461]&load=url[file:product]

Sorry - had to post links rather than pics. There is a "colon small case p" which becomes :p and screws up posting the pic.

Take Care,

BlindeMan

Yuck!*yucky* But to each his own...

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
These have been mentioned, but...

Flip flops, anywhere outside of a beach environment; shorts down to the ankle (especially with shorts showing); white, knee-length socks worn with shorts (a' la homeboy style); shirts sticking out of vests; low-rise jeans (not the hip huggers we wore in the '70s); baseball caps turned backwards, sidewards, and with the sticker left on the brim; piercings next to the mouth; dirty, rumpled t-shirts, especially worn by women; extra-long necties worn to the crotch; tattoos just above the behind (yuck!). And the beat goes on...

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Hawaiian Shirts

I have two from Hawaii Hawaiian shirts. I live in Pennsylvania, long way from #50. They only come out if we get a snow fall of over 8" at which time I wear them to work. Working as a train dispatcher the chaos during a decent snow storm is nicely juxtaposed by a tropical shirt. I've been doing it for about the last 20 years and it seems my coworkers look forward to it.

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
CharlesB said:
I must say that I can be pretty anal about dressing. That being said...I have always and will always wear my Converses with every thing. Suits, jeans, it doesnt matter. The day I cant wear a pair of converse all star high tops with a suit, is the day the terrorists win!

Sounds to me as if they have already won!;)

What is the matter with adult shoes?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran