Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion fads we love to hate

just_me

Practically Family
Originally Posted by CharlesB
I must say that I can be pretty anal about dressing. That being said...I have always and will always wear my Converses with every thing. Suits, jeans, it doesnt matter. The day I cant wear a pair of converse all star high tops with a suit, is the day the terrorists win!

vitanola said:
Sounds to me as if they have already won!;)

What is the matter with adult shoes?
What is the matter with Converse High Tops if that's what he wants to wear? Even if they weren't, but they're close to being vintage. :)

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well of course anyone may wear what they wish.

I was simply objecting to the infantilisation of the American wardrobe that has been ongoing over the last eighty years.

These days even sextagenarians attempt to dress as if they were high-school students.

Sneakers, plimsols, running shoes, and thongs all have their place. They are designed to perform certain functions, and those they do very well.

Why this insistence insist on substituting them for real shoes on all occasions?

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
vitanola said:
Well of course anyone may wear what they wish.

I was simply objecting to the infantilisation of the American wardrobe that has been ongoing over the last eighty years.

These days even sextagenarians attempt to dress as if they were high-school students.

Sneakers, plimsols, running shoes, and thongs all have their place. They are designed to perform certain functions, and those they do very well.

Why this insistence insist on substituting them for real shoes on all occasions?

AGREED!

Archéologue

Many of these so-called "fashions" are actually just a way to express
a desire to be an individual and be noticed. I find them all to be amusing,
but a little pathetic as well. After all, what's the harm in trying to look
good? It seems like many of these are meant to make the wearer look bad,
which is the purpose. Attention for looking bad is some kind of attention,
which is better than none at all for some folks.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
The denigration of others based on the clothes they wear and/or the way they look.

That is true, Carter, and we must avoid degrading remarks (and I think we have done fairly well so far in this thread). However, what a person choses to wear does say something about his or her personality/lifestyle, whether that person realizes it or not.

Some of the fashions simply don't look bad, but are the attempst to look like a criminal, a bad guy but it's supposed to be simply an offshoot of rebellion. I look like a criminal but I not one, how dare you judge me.

St.Ignatz

Call Me a Cab
Dress is not a lapel pin it's a billboard. A persons microniche may have an insider smirk about argyle socks or great reverence for throwback leg warmers. Can we ever really walk a mile in an others toed socks? And who would want to? I hope you weren't expecting a deep thought.;)

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
Fashion Pet Peeves

Call me crazy, but I grew up with my father wearing nice slacks, a button down shirt and tie to church every Sunday and Wednesday. He always wore a tie pin, and his tie never flopped. I know this seems like trivial thing, considering the guys are wearing TIES in today's world....but....my guidance councilor and chemistry teach wear ties and no tie pins and it annoys me to see their ties flopping around.

Anyone else have dumb little fashion pet peeves?

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Caity Lynn said:
it annoys me to see their ties flopping around.

We share the same pet peeve. I hate my tie flopping around but I also dislike wearing tie clips; hence I employ this little gadget which clips right to my shirt placket:

Shoes234.jpg

dnjan

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
We share the same pet peeve. I hate my tie flopping around but I also dislike wearing tie clips; hence I employ this little gadget which clips right to my shirt placket:

Shoes234.jpg
Where can one find one of those? I assume that is not just a tie tack that you chose to poke through the tail-keeper rather than through the entire tie.

CopperNY

A-List Customer
mine is logos.

why, oh why, would you spend outrageous amounts of $$$ (say $100 for a 'Sean Jean' sweatshirt), just to wear -someone else's name- on your body in big letters?

kills me.

and i get called "queer" for wearing a tie.

*sigh*

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
I new fashion I don't get is a big scarf with a t-shirt. I understand a warm, bulky scarf with winter clothes...but a t-shirt? [huh]

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
My only real objection is to leggings. I hate them. I don't understand why cutting the feet off tights suddenly makes tights into pants.

I would like to add to this that wearing them with boots so they appear to be tights does not bother me. IF they are COMPLETELY opaque, this is ok to wear with one of those tunic things people seem to be wearing these days. I'd still prefer them to be treated as opaque tights, not pants, though.

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
Call me crazy, but I grew up with my father wearing nice slacks, a button down shirt and tie to church every Sunday and Wednesday. He always wore a tie pin, and his tie never flopped. I know this seems like trivial thing, considering the guys are wearing TIES in today's world....but....my guidance councilor and chemistry teach wear ties and no tie pins and it annoys me to see their ties flopping around.

I wear tie clips to work as I bend over tables in the bar.I hate my ties flopping down like a big tongue.I had a clip with a spirit level in it and because of my unsteady walking due to my spinal injury, I tell folks it helps get me home without falling over:D .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran