Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion shift...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Well, what are people going to think? You can find knee boots in just about every retail women's shoe line, and none of the men's lines. Yes, they're functional. But their function is limited - they're no good for snow or hiking. And on men these days they have a fetish or subculture connotation. You might be able to overcome the connotations with a sure sense of style, however.

Lose the shotguns and the guy on the left from a mid-30s Fellows illustration has the look I am going for in my dog-walking outfit (OK my boots are black). I have the hat, Norfolk jacket and breeches pretty much off to a 'T' however. I think that to see anything effeminate in that footwear, or anything that alludes to fetishism or deviance would require an act of staggering ignorance on the part of the observer.

Field boots are good for general field work, particularly in long wet grass, bracket or heather, and therefore ideal for my purpose of dog walking. For hiking, I wear vintage hiking boots.

Just my opinion, but I think this is a good vintage look.

Alan

shooteruplandih0.jpg

Micawber

A-List Customer
Not just vintage either Alan, I see and mix with ordinary shooting and country folk here in the UK in similar attire on a regular basis.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Yes, and they (we?) still dress very much like that. To paraphrase, 'Fashion changes - I don't. Well, only my underwear'.

Alan

Micawber said:
Not just vintage either Alan, I see and mix with ordinary shooting and country folk here in the UK in similar attire on a regular basis.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Alan Eardley said:
I think that to see anything effeminate in that footwear, or anything that alludes to fetishism or deviance would require an act of staggering ignorance on the part of the observer.

Or an overactive imagination.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Looks like a sensible and stylish vintage walking/bird shooting outfit Alan.

The perception of the boots being somehow pervy says more about the perceiver's mind than the perceived.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
nobodyspecial said:
I have no need for the boots, but I'd love a similar Norfolk jacket. That's a great outfit, and you are correct, perfect for walking a dog in long grass.

But probably, by today's narrow standards, out of place in the workplace for 'normal' people. Then, who wants to be 'normal'?

In the 1920s my father used to work for a business in Cheshire that was owned by two brothers who were more interested in fox hunting than they were in running the company. On hunt days they would go into the office in the morning in hunting 'pinks' and boots before spending the afternoon in the saddle. See the man on the right in this Fellows illustration. Note also the covert coat in the centre, being used for its real purpose.
oxnershetlandsuitvh7.jpg

We need more eccentrics, and I'm trying to do my bit...

Alan

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
Eh! Steady...

Alan

Sorry about that, was a bit convoluted for a Monday.

Also was worryingly like something one of my old philosophy lecturers at uni would've said!

ContinentalOp

New in Town
This thread reminded me of a quote. I can't remember the exact quote or the source. "Fashions change, but style is timeless." I think that applies here.

As for the vintage trends, y'all will just be seen as ahead of the curve when it comes back around. :)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
We need more eccentrics, and I'm trying to do my bit...
Well, be thankful you're British then. You folks revere eccentricity - we're always trying to pathologize it.

Which is why I wrote what I wrote about boots - more to get discussion started than anything else. I don't believe it but I'm sort of "uneasy" it might have a little truth to it as stereotypes do.

Fletch said:
Well, what are people going to think? You can find knee boots in just about every retail women's shoe line, and none of the men's lines. Yes, they're functional. But their function is limited - they're no good for snow or hiking. And on men these days they have a fetish or subculture connotation. You might be able to overcome the connotations with a sure sense of style, however.
Boots on men tend to have a military or horseman connotation, then outdoorsman. Engineer boots bring visions or rockers and bikers. The East Germans did wear and the Russians still wear a form of jackboot no one would call feminine. The east german ones may still be readily available in surplus.

While women do wear flat soled boots mostly their boots tend to have a heel higher than a man's so a feminine connection is not quite a solid link.

But then again we continue to hear cowboy reference remarks for our fedora wearing friends, perhaps the limit in vision in more likely the viewer not the wearer? Is it worth worrying about?

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
John,

Thanks for your suggestion, but that would help them to understand me...

That's not what I want. I want to understand them - that is, the people who think that jeans are only for under 40s, that a 60-something man wearing a trilby is trying to look like Pete Docherty, a waistcoat like Jude Law, etc, etc.

I know the answer, of course - such people have no memory or sense of history, know little about style and their sensibilities are ruled by their exposure to the popular media. In other words, they have as many problems using their eyes as they have using their brains. I understand why they are like that, I don't understand why they would want to stay like that...

Alan

John in Covina said:
Show them a picture or 2 of the era and style you are emulating if at work or where you regularly get together with friends. If they see what you are shooting for they may have a better undererstanding.

Alan Eardley said:
I want to understand them - that is, the people who think that jeans are only for under 40s, that a 60-something man wearing a trilby is trying to look like Pete Docherty, a waistcoat like Jude Law, etc, etc. I know the answer, of course - such people have no memory or sense of history, know little about style and their sensibilities are ruled by their exposure to the popular media. In other words, they have as many problems using their eyes as they have using their brains. I understand why they are like that, I don't understand why they would want to stay like that...Alan
People are handicapped by the blinders they wear in life, limited by only what they see or wish to see, and caught by what they and their circle of friends perceive as good, important and relevant. The narrower of the vision the smaller the life. By showing them what you aim for you broaden their vision, life and perspective on the world.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
John in Covina said:
The East Germans did wear and the Russians still wear a form of jackboot no one would call feminine. The east german ones may still be readily available in surplus.

While women do wear flat soled boots mostly their boots tend to have a heel higher than a man's so a feminine connection is not quite a solid link.
The thing is, the high boot is not unmasculine, but it's commonly thought to be too much of a caricature of masculinity, like the slavemaster or the leather freak.

I think you're safe with brown, tho, as the fetish people avoid it like the plague. Doesn't look nasty enough.

Smithy said:
The perception of the boots being somehow pervy says more about the perceiver's mind than the perceived.
It speaks about the society more than the individual. Even sophisticated Americans would perceive them this way - maybe especially the sophisticated ones. Britons, say, not so much.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Chalk off another item of clothing...

Seems we can stop wearing cardigans now - according to this morning's UK newspapers thay are the latest fashion trend. Thank you Mr. Beckham.

Is nothing sacred?

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner