Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fashion shift...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
I welcome observations on instances of what I call 'fashion shift' - where a style or item of clothing that you have worn for years is taken over by another group, perhaps to your annoyance.

The classic case of this is, of course, denim. It began as US workwear, worn in the depression-era photographs of gritty, weather worn middle aged cowboys and dirt farmers taken by WPA photographers. Now it's the province of teenagers in shopping malls and a UK fashion journalist recently pronounced that 'people over 40 shouldn't wear denim'. When I break out an item from my extensive collection of vintage jeans, one of my work colleagues will inevitably ask, 'Aren't you a bit old to be wearing that?'

Then it was sportswear. Trainers, track suits and hooded sweat tops used to be worn by fit types who need to change frequently - for instance, professional athletes and PE teachers. Now it seems to be worn by people who are anything other than fit and who simply can't be bothered to get dressed.

More recently still, it's trilby hats (narrow brimmed fedoras), waistcoats (vests) and braces (suspenders). I grew up regarding these as a style worn by middle aged or old men - I have worn that style since becoming middle aged, many years ago. Then the likes of Pete Doherty and Amy Winehouse's chap started to wear trilbies, David Beckham and Jude Law appeared in waistcoats and teenage girls began wearing braces with their tweed hotpants, and suddenly those are 'young fashion' and people say to me, ''Aren't you a bit old to be wearing that?' Trilby, waistcoat and braces? Too old?

Now it's field boots. I walk my dog every morning before work across rough fields and need to keep my trousers dry and clean. I could wear rubber Wellington boots (see photo of Paddy in 'Outerwear') but I prefer a more vintage solution - the field boot. A derivative of the WW1 British Officers' boot, the style I wear finishes just below the knee and has ankle laces and a stout leather sole. When worn outside slim-fitting trousers I have aways regarded them as the epitome of rugged masculine style, particularly with a hacking jacket. Now, however, the look has been become fashionable among the ladies, and recently people have begun to remark that I am wearing 'girlie boots' to work.

In spite of myself, I can't help but be mildly annoyed by such comments. Does anyone else experience this?

Alan

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
In my neighborhood I'm widely viewed as being eccentric and fortunately the neighbors have simply stopped commenting on what I wear and what I do. For a period of years one neighbor in particular used to take out her third eye from time to time and give me a stare as if to say; "what do we know about this guy?" I have to admit I'm glad they stopped making the comments.

My point is to illustrate that if you keep wearing what you wish to wear most folks will eventually stop commenting on the matter, especially if your wardrobe style doesn't change over time. "He's always dressed that way."

Also, keep in mind that popular styles change frequently and what is popular today will be gone tomorrow. For example, tall leather boots come and go periodically. Boots seem to be back in fashion now, but will be gone next fall.

My random, incoherent thoughts aside, I agree that I do find the matter annoying.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
One of the things I like most about my own style of dress is that I'm completely insulated from any need to follow fashion -- trends can come and go all they want, people can spend vast amounts of money on disposable clothes, and I can just stand off to the side and shake my head.

Somehow I don't see the middle-aged working-class '40s housewife look catching on with teens anytime soon, but if it does, well, I'll be glad to offer advice...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Lizzie

There must be some sort of time-slip thing going on here - my Mom copied your style many years ago!

Alan

LizzieMaine said:
One of the things I like most about my own style of dress is that I'm completely insulated from any need to follow fashion -- trends can come and go all they want, people can spend vast amounts of money on disposable clothes, and I can just stand off to the side and shake my head.

Somehow I don't see the middle-aged working-class '40s housewife look catching on with teens anytime soon, but if it does, well, I'll be glad to offer advice...

nobodyspecial

Practically Family
Lizzie, your comment regarding disposable clothes hits home. For me there is something comforting about putting on an old, thick, warm wool sweater on a cold day. I could care less what others think how it looks, I'm warm and that's all I care about. It's going to be a really cold weekend in Minnesota.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I believe this "fashion shift" is a blessing and a curse.

It's wonderful to have available more suspenders, trilbies and vests. It's nice to be recognized as a person of taste and style who is "leading the way" so to speak. And it's very nice to not find yourself questioned EVERY time you exit the house with a fedora or suit.

Howevever, I'm about up to here :rage: with the comments about "trend" and "popular fashion" running through the gutter from the typical swine with which I must interact. I usually have to retort quietly, "Believe me, if Justin Timberlake had anything to do with the hat I chose this morning, I would drag myself into a river and drown."

No one likes to hear that.[huh]

Dr Doran

LizzieMaine said:

:p :p :)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
The only person who hacks on my style with any regularity is my mom, and well, I'm attached to her.

Frankly I encourage the trends because I like to shop at such refined stores as Target and K-Mart. Makes things loads easier, so thank you, Christina Aguilera and Gwen Stefani and all yuhz guys! :)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:

Lizzie, the '40's housewife look would be a lot better than some of the stuff they're wearing now! ;)

I cringe when I look for clothes for my seven-year-old daughter - most of it is skimpy and very immodest.

Thankfully, my daughter is a tomboy and would rather wear jeans and a t-shirt and play in the dirt. :)

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Viola said:
The only person who hacks on my style with any regularity is my mom, and well, I'm attached to her.

Frankly I encourage the trends because I like to shop at such refined stores as Target and K-Mart. Makes things loads easier, so thank you, Christina Aguilera and Gwen Stefani and all yuhz guys! :)

yeah, as i've gotten older (and a tad out of average vintage sizing) i've come to appreciate 40s-inspired stuff coming into the average stores. today, for instance, i'm wearing a puff-sleeve cotton blouse with an vintagey polka-dot-and-pears print. i got it from value village last summer... and it's originally from old navy. it goes perfectly with the repro green sweater i bought at buffalo exchange!

something else to think about... i was talking to the owner of remix about this, and he said that if it wasn't for regular, non-vintage people buying his repro shoes, he probably wouldn't be able to make them. i think vintage-ish trends help us out in ways we don't think about. i DEFINITELY appreciate being able to buy perfect repro wedgies, for instance! so a big unexpected THANK YOU to paris hilton for helping to keep my favorite shoemakers afloat! :p

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
AmateisGal said:
I cringe when I look for clothes for my seven-year-old daughter - most of it is skimpy and very immodest.

Thankfully, my daughter is a tomboy and would rather wear jeans and a t-shirt and play in the dirt. :)

where do they sell this stuff?! i'm a nanny (for wealthy kids) and worked in a school this year (for underpriviliged kids), and so i generally spend a lot of time around kids, and i never see them wearing stuff i would describe as skimpy or immodest! even when i worked in a thrift store, i rarely saw it. yet people are always complaining about it, so it must be out there. i wonder who is actually buying it though, and where! or maybe my idea of skimpy and immodest differs from most people...

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Exactly! I hate the implication that I am following the likes of Pete Doherty in just the same way.

I guess what really annoys me is the 'hat is a hat' lack of knowledge of clothing and accessories that some people have.

Alan

Undertow said:
I believe this "fashion shift" is a blessing and a curse.

It's wonderful to have available more suspenders, trilbies and vests. It's nice to be recognized as a person of taste and style who is "leading the way" so to speak. And it's very nice to not find yourself questioned EVERY time you exit the house with a fedora or suit.

Howevever, I'm about up to here :rage: with the comments about "trend" and "popular fashion" running through the gutter from the typical swine with which I must interact. I usually have to retort quietly, "Believe me, if Justin Timberlake had anything to do with the hat I chose this morning, I would drag myself into a river and drown."

No one likes to hear that.[huh]

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
As a person...

...who's dressed in variations on of classic styles for 40 years, I intermittently come back into style. I don't really change much from year to year or decade to decade. I pretty much just replace things as they wear out.

Vintage Betty

ShooShooBaby said:
where do they sell this stuff?! i'm a nanny (for wealthy kids) and worked in a school this year (for underpriviliged kids), and so i generally spend a lot of time around kids, and i never see them wearing stuff i would describe as skimpy or immodest! even when i worked in a thrift store, i rarely saw it. yet people are always complaining about it, so it must be out there. i wonder who is actually buying it though, and where! or maybe my idea of skimpy and immodest differs from most people...

Come to my neck of the woods. Here in CA, where the weather is milder, you'd get an eyeful. :eusa_doh:

What was it our own Marty M. once said? "Style counts--fashion discounts" or something like that?

My style is my own, not changing for anyone or anything until the time comes to shed my current "skin" for a new one. I used to take flak for always wearing my "Secret Service" suits, until enough people found themselves receiving the "this is who I am--you don't like it, don't associate with me--Kilo-Mike-Alpha*..." attitude...

*Use your imagination.

Benny Holiday

Roger that one, Diamondback! lol Cleverly devised, sir.

A couple of fashion shifts I can recall: years ago, one of the big fashions in the Rockabilly scene was vintage bowling shirts. Then, along came the ballroom jivers with their spangly outfits and they started wearing bowling shirts, usually matching the mens' glittery bowling shirts with the woman's short ice skating-type skirt (hence the derogative nickname "Shirts and Skirts" to describe them). All at once the Rockers dropped bowling shirts like hot cakes and Hawaiian shirts became the next fashion.

Another example was when a girlfriend of mine used to wear short vintage jeans, capri style. One day we went to the local markets and some redneck woman started making fun of her, which wasn't very clever as my ex was a fiery girl who wasn't backwards in telling anyone what they could do with their unsolicited opinion. Two years later, that style of jeans was 'in fashion' again and every casual clothing store in Sydney was flogging them, with every second female between the ages of 12 and 25 were sporting them. Of course we had a ball lampooning them, saying stuff like "What do you think it is, the 1950's?" and laughing at the irony of it. At least a few people were educated with the fact that their 'new' fashion was not new at all!

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I was a bit surprised to come to college and find a large majority of people wearing Wayfairer style sunglasses. I had been using the same pair of New Wayfairers since my dad got them for me around ninth grade. I survived the Blues Brothers comments because I'm a huge fan of the movie, but imagine the shock I had when I found out I was in style. :eek: The rest of my everyday wear is incredibly bland and utilitarian, so I never get comments on it. The only comments I ever receive are directed at the contents of my t-shirt.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Alan Eardley said:
I walk my dog every morning before work across rough fields and need to keep my trousers dry and clean. I could wear rubber Wellington boots (see photo of Paddy in 'Outerwear') but I prefer a more vintage solution - the field boot. A derivative of the WW1 British Officers' boot, the style I wear finishes just below the knee and has ankle laces and a stout leather sole. When worn outside slim-fitting trousers I have aways regarded them as the epitome of rugged masculine style, particularly with a hacking jacket. Now, however, the look has been become fashionable among the ladies, and recently people have begun to remark that I am wearing 'girlie boots' to work.
Well, what are people going to think? You can find knee boots in just about every retail women's shoe line, and none of the men's lines. Yes, they're functional. But their function is limited - they're no good for snow or hiking. And on men these days they have a fetish or subculture connotation. You might be able to overcome the connotations with a sure sense of style, however.

Twitch

Oh yeah. Waaay back a long time ago in 1970 after I got outta the service I wore my fatigues and camos as working clothes- like in a warehouse.

Little by little after seeing no one else wear them for a while, all sorts of punks began wearing camos. Girls began wearing them. Then commercial companies began using camo material to make everything from tube tops to panties!

Now with pink and lavender camo prints it's some sorta fashion statement or something.:mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner