Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite classic horror movies

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
Of the classics that freaked me out when I was a kid, I gotta say "Nosferatu". That's gotta be one of the scariest vamps I've ever seen.
Nosferatu_door_in_the_castle.jpg

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
"Hangover Square" and "The Lodger" are both good old scary flicks. Both star Laird Cregar and "Hangover Square" also stars Linda Darnell.
"HS" ends with a pretty cool scene that will stick with you long after you watch it.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
The Lodger is one of my favourite Hitchcock movies. I would also add The Bride of Frankenstein – if only for Elsa Lanchester’s hair do. Other than that, Dario Argento’s “Susperio” or “Profundo rosso” are excellent.

blacklagoon

One of the Regulars
I have been a classic horror film fans for years.my 5 favourites,at present,are:

1: Dracula - Bela Lugosi
2: The Wolfman - Lon Chaney JR
3: The Invisible Man - Claude Rains
4: Frankenstein - Boris Karloff
5: Bride Of Frankenstein - Boris Karloff

I do have a really big favourite of the later years,it is called: Curse Of The Demon,Or Night Of The Demon as it is sometimes called.It Starred Dana Andrews.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Time for a bump^^

As far as vintage sound horror/thriller films are concerned...

Dracula ('31)
The Mummy ('32)
Murders in the Zoo (w/Lionel Atwill; great opening scene of a man having his mouth sewn shut)
Freaks
The Invisible Man (but is it really a horror/thriller film?)
Island of Lost Souls (Laughton at his sadistic best)
The Black Cat
The Bride of Frankenstein
The Wolf Man
The Devil Bat (great Povery Row, Bela Lugosi "guilty pleasure" film)
The Cat People
The Leopard Man
The Seventh Victim

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I guess these all qualified as 'horror' back then. Very different from today's 'horror,' which I refuse to look at, btw. Im not into gratuitous gore.

So, my favorite is the original King Kong. I loved it as a kid, and now, as well. I love the whole stop-action photography thing.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I guess these all qualified as 'horror' back then. Very different from today's 'horror,' which I refuse to look at, btw. Im not into gratuitous gore.

So, my favorite is the original King Kong. I loved it as a kid, and now, as well. I love the whole stop-action photography thing.

I thought about including Kong...Saw it screened in Hollywood about 15 years ago; Fray Wray was there, and I was able to get a photo autographed by her. I still find it hard to watch the part when Kong fights the bi-planes; the confused/hurt look on his face gets to me, and his fall to death is such a sad conclusion. "'Twas beauty killed the beast." Great film.

Feraud

Bartender
I still find it hard to watch the part when Kong fights the bi-planes; the confused/hurt look on his face gets to me, and his fall to death is such a sad conclusion. "'Twas beauty killed the beast." Great film.
A great line well spoken by Armstrong. I've always wondered if Kong's death elicited sympathy from audiences at the time? The same goes for Frankenstein's monster.. These were monsters who terrorized and had to be destroyed right?

I thought about including Kong...Saw it screened in Hollywood about 15 years ago; Fray Wray was there, and I was able to get a photo autographed by her.
If you're referring to the screening at the Nuart on Santa Monica Blvd., I was there as well. If I remember correctly, they had restored the film for it's 60th anniversary. It was a real pleasure to hear Fay Wray talk about the film and her career; she was 86 years old at the time and as sharp as ever!

Back to the topic, it would be nearly impossible for me to choose only five films, and there's certainly not enough room to list all of my favorites. First and foremost, Frankenstein (1931) is my absolute favorite. All of the other Universal classic horror films come after that, with the exception of Dracula (1931); Lugosi is quite good, but the hammy "stage" acting and horrible editing ruin it for me. Aforementioned films such as Nosferatu (1922), The Phantom of the Opera (1925), Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931), White Zombie (1932), The Old Dark House (1932), King Kong (1933), The Body Snatcher (1945), etc., are also among my favorites.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
A great line well spoken by Armstrong. I've always wondered if Kong's death elicited sympathy from audiences at the time? The same goes for Frankenstein's monster.. These were monsters who terrorized and had to be destroyed right?

Yes, the Frankenstein 'monster' and King Kong were brought into worlds either with no say-so or against their will, and were trying to cope with what they were introduced to. Kong was also the heroine's protector, and she eventually accepted him as such. Kong was trapped in the wide open, with no true means of defense. I believe this is what elicits the sympathy.

And it wasnt really beauty that killed the beast. It was greed and stupidity, but that wouldnt have made quite so clever a tag line.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And while Im on the subject of monster movies, I also loved Mighty Joe Young, the remake with a young Charlize Theron, as well as the original. The remake had a happier ending, which was in line with it being a part-Disney effort.

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Probably been mentioned already, but the "Frankenstein" movies of the 1930s. First one I watched was "Son of Frankenstein" and despite the fact that it was 70 years old at the time, it still succeeded in scaring the jibbering gibbets outta me. The '33 King Kong movie wasn't that terrifying, but it was a nice watch, anyway.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
One of my favorites is the 1932 classic "The Mummy." The cut of the tuxedo that David Manners wears literally takes my breath away. Vera West is credited with costumes which ususally means gowns worn by the women in the cast. I don't know who Manners' tailor was but the results were great.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
One of my favorites is the 1932 classic "The Mummy." The cut of the tuxedo that David Manners wears literally takes my breath away. Vera West is credited with costumes which ususally means gowns worn by the women in the cast. I don't know who Manners' tailor was but the results were great.

To my knowledge, The Mummy is the only classic, '30s horror film that contains no comic relief. The scene with Bramwell Fletcher, in which he sees the mummy, but we don't, and the insane laughing that follows is a prime example of the idea that the horror which you don't see is almost always greater than the one you do...As to Manners' tailor, I would like to say that he was from Saville Road, but he was likely an eastern-European immigrant working at the time for Universal.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Probably been mentioned already, but the "Frankenstein" movies of the 1930s. First one I watched was "Son of Frankenstein" and despite the fact that it was 70 years old at the time, it still succeeded in scaring the jibbering gibbets outta me.

You didn't see any Frankenstein movies until last year? Son was made in 1939. At any rate, it is a well-photographed film with great sets.

CharlieB

A-List Customer
And while Im on the subject of monster movies, I also loved Might Joe Young, the remake with a young Charlize Theron, as well as the original. The remake had a happier ending, which was in line with it being a part-Disney effort.

I liked Might Joe even better than Kong. However, my favorite is one that straddles the sci-fi/horror line the original The Thing.

Although not a Horror movie I always liked the 1950's Japanese movie "Rodan." It is because in the English version the narration by the principal actor struggling through amnesia brought about by the horror of the situation of he and his fellow miners that discover Rodan makes for a chilling and eerie film that builds good suspense. "It was a cool, evil smell..."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24