Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite classic horror movies

Doh!

One Too Many
The Wolf Man is my favorite Universal creature, although the movie seems somewhat less great than Frankenstein. After that and going chronologically, I'd have to say The Thing (from Another World), The Fly, Psycho, the original Halloween and ALIEN.

Well, dang it, that's more than 5...

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Mine are a bit campy, but fun nonetheless.

The Monster Club - Vincent Price and John Carradine

Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter - Caroline Munro in a peasant blouse. ;)

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
LocktownDog said:
Mine are a bit campy, but fun nonetheless.

The Monster Club - Vincent Price and John Carradine

Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter - Caroline Munro in a peasant blouse. ;)

I had some friends over two weekends ago and we watched The Monster Club and The Green Slime. I couldn't stop singing Monsters Rule Okay in my head for two days after. As soon as I finally got the song out of my head, I got a phone call and my friends and they were singing Monsters Rule Okay on the line. Then I was back to square one with that song! lol We also got a kick out of the monster family tree diagram from that movie. I need to get it put on a t-shirt.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
BeBopBaby said:
I couldn't stop singing Monsters Rule Okay in my head for two days after.
We had something here in NY in the 70's called The 4:30 Movie, which were movies every weekday leading up to the 6 o'clock news. I saw The Monster Club one time there, and have never forgotten that silly song.

Feraud

Bartender
flat-top said:
We had something here in NY in the 70's called The 4:30 Movie, which were movies every weekday leading up to the 6 o'clock news. I saw The Monster Club one time there, and have never forgotten that silly song.
I remember the 4:30 movie!
We watched lots of fun movies on that channel. The Blob, Planet of the Apes, Day of the Triffids, etc.

Do you remember Chiller Theater?:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
We had the USA Channel's Groovy Movies hosted by Commander USA. I saw a lot of b-grade horror movies as a child thanks to Commander USA. It was on every Saturday at noon, followed by Kung Fu Theater at 2pm.

Feraud

Bartender
BeBopBaby your post has reminded me.. we had a Saturday afternoon Kung-Fu theater too.
It was awesome!!

Btw, is Ghost Story with Fred Astaire any good? I've heard about the film since I was very young but have never seen it.

flat-top

Feraud said:
I remember the 4:30 movie!
We watched lots of fun movies on that channel. The Blob, Planet of the Apes, Day of the Triffids, etc.

Do you remember Chiller Theater?:)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asO97gdn2oo
The 4:30 movie had great theme weeks, so you could watch a Planet of the Apes movie Mon-Fri! I didn't go outside and play punch-ball with my friends those weeks.
And I used to love Chiller. That hand used to freak me out!

Feraud

Bartender
Right. They would show all the Planet of the Apes movies in a given week.

The Chiller hand used to scare my little brother too... being the considerate older brother I used to call him into the room every time it came on. :)

Feraud said:
Btw, is Ghost Story with Fred Astaire any good? I've heard about the film since I was very young but have never seen it.

It was very good, but I haven't seen it since it came out and maybe once on tv years ago. So, I am not sure how it has held up.

JE

BegintheBeguine

Feraud, see Ghost Story. It's good. I'd even like it if part of it didn't take place in a town I know in Florida.
As for Horror Express, how soon you forget our conversation about it in the Last Movie You Watched thread...it was only a year ago. ;)

Autumn also brings to mind Village of the Damned.

funneman

Practically Family
I've always been a big fan of Sci-Fi from the '50s:

-Invaders from Mars
-The Thing
-Earth Versus the Flying Saucers
-War of the Worlds
-Forbidden Planet

And the cheesier, drive-in style stinkers like:

-Plan Nine from Outer Space
-Robot Monster
-Attack of the Fifty Foot Woman

I agree with John in Covina, Ghost Story was on the other night and still gives me the creeps.

Girl Friday

Practically Family
Thirteen Ghost! It used to be really scary to me when I was a kid. I found it a couple of Christmases ago on VHS and got it for my brother, now we watch it when ever I go for a visit. It's not quite as scary to me now its actually a little cheesy, but I still love it.

DutchIndo

A-List Customer
1. "The Hills have eyes" the original 70s version (disgusting)
2. "The Haunting" again the original, it still scares the crap out of me.
3. "The Exorcism of Emily Rose"
4. "Outer Limits" original BW, season 2 episode 2 "Cold hands warm heart"
William Shatner and a creepy Venusian.
5. "Twilight Zone" original again William Shatner with the Gremlin

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I love 1950's sci-fi and the Universal monster movies, but it's not Halloween for me unless I see the 1936 Devil Doll and White Zombie. Both are on TCM on Halloween, so get that day off! They have that certain quality to them that is genuinely frightening. I also think Susperia is one of the most frightening films ever, but almost too scary for repeat viewings!

tallulah87

New in Town
I always loved 'The Cat People' - I see its quite popular here! And I'm not sure if 'Laura' would be classed as a horror...more of a thriller I guess?!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats