Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite comfort food . . .

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
We have all had those hard days, where we just want to put on our frumpiest PJs, turn off all the lights, tune into that crappy movie, and chow on our favorite grub.

Whats your favorite comfort food? The stuff thats totally bad for ya (generally) and makes you feel better when youre eatin it, but not always after you've eaten it ;)

For me its bean and cheese burritos, with ranch dressing. MMmmm....

LD

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Lady Day said:
We have all had those hard days, where we just want to put on our frumpiest PJs, turn off all the lights, tune into that crappy movie, and chow on our favorite grub.

Whats your favorite comfort food? The stuff thats totally bad for ya (generally) and makes you feel better when youre eatin it, but not always after you've eaten it ;)

For me its bean and cheese burritos, with ranch dressing. MMmmm....

LD

For me, strangely it's one of two things.

1. Chinese Food, usually Chicken Chow Mein by itself. Usually with a bottle (glass) of coke because soda is sooo much better in bottles.

2. Chicken in a Biscuit (Go ahead and laugh, most people do.)

Strange, yes I know.

Jon

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, homemade mac and cheese, hot biscuits and some extra sweet tea.

Peach cobbler with homemade whipped cream for dessert.

YUUUMMMM.:eusa_clap

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
VintageJess said:
Fried chicken, mashed potatoes with gravy, homemade mac and cheese, hot biscuits and some extra sweet tea.

Peach cobbler with homemade whipped cream for dessert.

YUUUMMMM.:eusa_clap

lol
You just described my childhood Sunday dinners.

LD

Naama

Practically Family
I remember, when I first moved away from my parents, I was eating comfort food all the time........ Today I have a dog, and when I'm not home, he's at my parents house, what means, I go there everyday and get food luckily ;) But yeah, I guess I go with the classic, pizza :D

Naama

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Macaroni and cheese -- the real stuff, not something out of a box!

Try my recipe here -- it's fast and easy to make...

1 lb. elbow macaroni
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp white flour
1 pt. milk
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
Dash of cayenne pepper
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Boil 2 quarts water in stock pot, add dash of salt. When water comes to full boil. Add macaroni, cook for 6 minutes or until done to taste. Drain macaroni, and turn into greased casserole dish.

Melt butter over medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan. Whisk in flour to make a roux, let roux cook until it begins to take on color. Add milk, blending with whisk. Add seasonings. Stir continuously -- do not allow mixture to scald! When mixture thickens, add cheese. Stir until fully melted.

Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and mix. Bake in 350 degree oven 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Allow to rest 2 minutes after removing from oven, serve alone or with baked ham.

Leftovers may be stored up to a week in a refrigerated sealed container. They make a wonderful day-after lunch, fried in a skillet on top of the stove.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Homemade chicken pot pie or homemade meatloaf and mashed 'taters. The crust on the pot pie has to be made from scratch. The frozen kind is like a thick cracker, verses the light fluffy ones my mom used to make. Or if you're in a crunch, and don't want to spend the time making a crust, try topping the pot pie mixture with mashed potatoes instead. It's not bad, and still gives that nice warm feeling. These are not just great after a long hard day, but also wonderful comfort after a freezing cold New England day.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
Lime flavored Tostitos chips-Just finished a bag for breakfast.

Also love pizza and chocolate chip cookie dough.

Frito chips dipped in CocaCola.

Oh how I wish my comfort foods were fruits and veggies.

Daisy, if you and Tim make it down this way, I'll have to make my famous meatloaf.

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I too vote for homemade chicken pot pie. I can't wait for fall so I can make one - too hot to use oven lately.
I also have a weakness for mashed potatoes with butter, and will eat a big bowl of that and call it dinner.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
ITG said:
Lime flavored Tostitos chips-Just finished a bag for breakfast.

Also love pizza and chocolate chip cookie dough.

Frito chips dipped in CocaCola.

Oh how I wish my comfort foods were fruits and veggies.

Daisy, if you and Tim make it down this way, I'll have to make my famous meatloaf.
You keep making a visit to you more and more tempting. I think we're gonna have to come down your way at some point, you sound like an incredible host!! Of course, our door is always open to you and your fiance too!

Rosie

One Too Many
I don't think I have a food that I go to like that. When I'm feeling bummed, I do like to bake though, for me, it's cookies if I'm just slightly sad, bread (cause I get to punch the dough) if I'm very upset and cake. I usually wind up eating those things though so, I guess those are my comfort foods.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
LizzieMaine said:
Macaroni and cheese -- the real stuff, not something out of a box!

Try my recipe here -- it's fast and easy to make...

1 lb. elbow macaroni
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp white flour
1 pt. milk
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp dry ground mustard
Dash of cayenne pepper
8 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Boil 2 quarts water in stock pot, add dash of salt. When water comes to full boil. Add macaroni, cook for 6 minutes or until done to taste. Drain macaroni, and turn into greased casserole dish.

Melt butter over medium-high heat in a heavy saucepan. Whisk in flour to make a roux, let roux cook until it begins to take on color. Add milk, blending with whisk. Add seasonings. Stir continuously -- do not allow mixture to scald! When mixture thickens, add cheese. Stir until fully melted.

Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and mix. Bake in 350 degree oven 30-35 minutes or until top is lightly browned.

Allow to rest 2 minutes after removing from oven, serve alone or with baked ham.

Leftovers may be stored up to a week in a refrigerated sealed container. They make a wonderful day-after lunch, fried in a skillet on top of the stove.

Mmmm, good! My Mama put Philly Cream Cheese in her mac recipe. It was da bomb!

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo