Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Hats by Style

Eliesti

A-List Customer
I thought this might make a good topic as well as a good reference point for people looking to branch out to a new style or for those who are new to wearing hats. My thought in creating this thread was that people could post their favorite hats for each style of hat (e.g., Stetson Open Road shares an apparent style with Borsalino Alessandria, Akubra Campdraft, etc.) and mention which hat of that style they prefer and why.

That's a toughie, given the variations over the years in quality, design, craftsmanship, and the like. In the OR style, I have a 3X OR, a Resistol San Antonio, a Mallory Dallas, a Dalton, and a Campdraft, among others. They all are fantastic depending on my mood and the like. Though I guess I gravitate to the San Antonio and the Dalton more than most.

Or maybe the Dallas. Of course, the Campdraft is a real workhorse and great hat, too. And the 3X...see what you've done?

Don't make me pick a favorite among my children! :D

Eliesti

A-List Customer
Haha. I guess I've opened Pandora's Box. I'm not sorry though! Looking forward to everyone's replies!

Also, I should mention that I didn't want to limit this thread to any particular style. People can feel free to post about cowboy hats, bush hats, fedoras of all shapes and sizes, trilbies, flat caps, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For me, that's pretty much all I can even begin to compare. My other hats are fairly varied, as far as style goes. I guess the other style that is pervasive in my collection is the "regular guy church-going hat." The kind with a 2.25" - 2.5" brim and 1.25" - 1.5" ribbon 5.5" crown height, etc.

Last edited:

Jake Willis

New in Town
The two hats I have are a Stetson Stallion Foothills hat, which is a 4 inch brim cattlemans crease cowboy hat, and a stetson drifter hat, which is a pinch front crown with a 3 1/2 inch brim. The drifter is somewhere in between fedora and cowboy hat I guess. I work on a ranch by the way, so that's why I'm into the cowboy hat style.

I prefer hats with an all around brim.

The width and style of the brim can and should very, as should the crown height and taper, depending upon the style of dress of the day. That means I can switch up my look as easily as changing my hat. My "sweet spot" brim width is between 2-3/8" to 2-5/8". And I always seem to prefer the most neutral gray, despite a decent array of generally earthy felt colors. And STRAWS.

EDIT: I don't think I own even one raw edge brim. ALWAYS have preferred bound, or some finished edges, but never raw.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I have found I prefer hats with straight sides and fairly narrow pinches, to the point that I have reblocked a couple of standard '60s-style Dobbs (think 'Mad Men') hats (2" brim) on my 952 block. I also prefer wider ribbons.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The acid test came last summer when I was talking to the guy at Peters Bros. about a Milan Hemp and he said I could have any style I wanted. I thought for a moment and said "Stratoliner, but with a 2 7/8 brim." I've always liked the style, but I considered the brim on the Stetsons kind of skimpy and, besides, they only rarely make them in my size. There's just something about the Strat style that says 1940's to me, which is my favorite era for men's style. I liked the job PB did so much that I just ordered another one. I should add that the original idea came from this forum.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I prefer hats with an all around brim.
If we didn't wear different sizes, we would constantly be engaged in eBay-fights, Charlie. Spot on my favorite style! :D

My hats in circulation at any given time have brim widths from 2-1/8" to 2-3/4" - though my comfort zone is 2-3/8" to 2-5/8". Crowns are quite different. Some have more taper than others - shoulders are different - and so is the rounding of the top. Height usually around 5-1/2" - creased down to 4-1/2" to 4-3/4" in front. Felt colors are greys, browns, greens, blues and reds. Ribbons in widths from 3/8" to 2-1/8" in many colors - contrasty and more tone in tone. Brim-edge treatment as interesting as possible, but sometimes just raw. Leatherwork as interesting as possible.

One thing I do seem to prefer - besides the all around brim - is a longish diamond crease. 80% of my hats convinced me, that was the right thing for them :)

EstherWeis

Vendor
I don't think I own even one raw edge brim. ALWAYS have preferred bound, or some finished edges, but never raw.

I agree with you there!
The floppy ones I do like without, but that's a look on it's own. But don't wear those as often as I did before.

I'm a fedora kind of girl at heart.
Brims starting at 7cm and up.
I prefer a bound brim as well.
Crown and pinches vary but the crown will mostly be on the taller side.

As a woman color wise I have a lot of choices. But will go for neutral shades most of the time.
I prefer a contrasting ribbon.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh yes, Straws indeed. My favourite being my Baltimore fedora. The Montecristi optimo being 'de rigueur' in the UK, when attending a cricket match and a trilby that I've had for decades, and still can't remember the name of.
That Baltimore fedora is one of my favorite hats that I've seen on this forum. I kick myself every time i think about the fact that I went to high school in that town in the '60's and could have gotten one then at a reasonable price.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Biltmore is a Brand . Bob Roberts (Hemingway) has several Beauties Posted in "What Hat are you Wearing Today" Thread . They're Gorgeous , made in Canada I think . But you should see Bob's Hats ! WOW ! His Biltmores stand up to any on here . Great Style !

I think the Baltimore is a style , but I'm not sure .

Last edited:

emigran

Practically Family
5 3/4 to 6 OC... wide diamond bash straight sides narrow pinch snapped brim 2 1/4 to 2 3/8... square stance is my fave... I also like center dent with narrow pinch and same stance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats