Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Historic Buildings or Places

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
The Oviott Building, home of the Cicada Club. I hope you LA peeps know how good you've got it with that venue.

Yes! Of course we do! Well at least this gal does! lol!

Speaking of the Orpheum. Here's the Orpheum Theater in LA.

Aud-side-view-orpheum.jpg

Unlucky Berman

One of the Regulars
Deco-Doll asked me to post this for her:

I apologize for not being able to post right now. I am currently having some issues with posting on the FL. The only way I am able to view people's responses is viewing them logged off. Hope to be back soon.

Unlucky Berman-

"The only place I can think of off the top of my head is Napier New Zealand.

http://travel.ninemsn.com.au/internationalbasic/654391/napier-151-new-zealands-art-deco-city

http://www.artdeconapier.com/default.aspx

Napier, didn't know that he had its own city :D
946capture_batman02.jpg

But New Zealand is one of the countries I'd like to visit someday, so nice to know which city will be one part of my must see-list there.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If you ever visit there, check out Charles Ringling's home, right next door. Some friends of mine were members of the family, and lived in a wing of the Charles Ringling house. There's a concrete pier built into the water in front of the house, with the tiniest, almost imperceptible baby footprints in the cement. That was my high school friend Joan Lancaster's little tootsies. I'm sure nobody at New College (present owners of the place) is aware of this.
I visited Ca' D'Zan about 15 years ago, and was actually able to find the little footprints.

HepKitty

One Too Many
Another Los Angeles favorite.

3117921804_7a9ff0fd5f.jpg

oh oh OH!

oh and everyone else, you all have impeccable taste in architecture. I really need to become a professional tourist and see all these places for myself.

For places that I would like to visit, but are not around anymore:

446369023_11a0b1da3b.jpg

The L. L. Bradbury Mansion - Los Angeles (it was torn down in 1929). Harold Lloyd once referred to the mansion as "pneumonia hall" because of it's drafty hallways. lol I would still loved to have seen it (and I'll bring some serious winter gear!)

WANT!!! now if I could just win the lottery, I'll build a close copy...

Art Deco Walmart? it's about time Walmart find some class lol

Unlucky Berman, I miss DE that much more thanks to you :D

thanks everyone for the posts, everything is spectacular!

Here is one of my all-time favorite cities, Luebeck. Can you tell I miss Germany? lol I was lucky enough to live there for 4 months, on the Altstadtinsel. was years ago and I've not made it back to that side of the pond since *sniff!*

http://www.luebeck.de/languages/eng/city_portrait/index.html

Das Holstentor, the main city gate. it's the city history museum today. heard that the government wanted to scrap it years ago but enough people protested that they left it. bottom right is the torture chamber, complete with a stretch table

L%C3%BCbeck_Holstentor.jpg

more info and cute animated history of the island here http://www.holstentor.info/english_version/index.html

it even made it onto the Euro:

2006_d-brd-0519.jpg

Last edited:

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
If you ever visit there, check out Charles Ringling's home, right next door. Some friends of mine were members of the family, and lived in a wing of the Charles Ringling house. There's a concrete pier built into the water in front of the house, with the tiniest, almost imperceptible baby footprints in the cement. That was my high school friend Joan Lancaster's little tootsies. I'm sure nobody at New College (present owners of the place) is aware of this.
I visited Ca' D'Zan about 15 years ago, and was actually able to find the little footprints.

I'll be sure to look for them when I go. :)

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
A place I like visiting....

Natural History Museum of Los Angeles County (when it first opened, it was known as the Museum of History, Science, and Art--this was before LACMA moved to Wilshire Blvd in 1965)

Although the museum is currently going through a lot of renovations right now, it's nice to see the historic elements still there.

This part of the museum is from 1913. The other wings of the musuem opened in 1925, 1930, 1960, and 1976.

12643_1.jpg

The museum in 1915.

Natural_History_Museum_1913-4_exterior.jpg

Natural_History_Museum-6_exterior.jpg

65b0f250-d657-4976-9876-2f43db9ea1d3.JPG

e18879image1.jpg

rotunda.jpg

HepKitty

One Too Many
Thank you for posting HepKitty! I think the more and more pictures I see of Germany the more it has renewed my interest in going to Germany again! I remember as a kid, Berlin was on my top list of places to go. :)

I love Berlin! I was lucky I got to go there twice when I lived in DE (was there for a year total, lived in Koeln, Kiel, and Luebeck). Plan on spending at least a few days there, it's huge and there's so much to see. Luebeck is fabu but small, can get to the important stuff in 2 days and that would include trips to the beaches (Travemuende and Timmendorf) and it's close to Hamburg where there is quite the retro/swing/rockabilly scene. I have friends there who are big into 40s and dancing, if anyone is interested PM me I'm sure they'd be happy to help

the LA museum looks really cool :)

Last edited:

HepKitty

One Too Many

How cool is that??? :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Here's an aerial view of the Ringling houses. The near one is Charles Ringling's house, and the south wing is clearly visible. Their living room was 3 stories high. You can see the concrete pier. Mrs Lancaster told the story this way. One day in Jan. 1945 her mother in law, DeeDee, called her up and said "Quick, bring Joanie down to the shore and get her feet in the newly poured concrete!" So she did. They plopped her down at the edge of the seawall, with her feet just at the edge, just to the right of center as you're facing the house (i.e. from the water). So if you ever get there, take a look. ;)
LancasterhouseFlorida.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well, if you make it to Sarasota to see the Ringling house you might as well head to Miami and check out Vizcaya. It is a contemporary of Biltmore and San Simeon. One thousand artisans imported from Europe labored for five years to create one of the most opulent estates in America.

pc2228.jpg

The 1886 Queen Anne cottage at the LA County Arboretum in Arcadia made famous by the TV show Fantasy Island

queenanne.jpg

The old Highland Park Division police station, built in 1925 and now the LAPD Historic Society Museum, whose facade can be seen in numerous cop shows from the '70s.

LAPDHS%20Old%20No.%2011.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points