Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Historic Buildings or Places

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
20080519181837_fort%20point.jpg

I visit FORT POINT regularly , it's an old historic Civil War era fort and it's free admission and it's right under the Golden Gate Bridge , another historic landmark

Oh I love that bridge! Got a bit scared walking on it though. lol!!!

I'll have to see that fort (not sure how I missed it?) someday.

Story

I'll Lock Up
A small, pristine church sits alone in a field on a hill behind Skyview High, holding both a past and a future.

Built in 1917 in Box Elder, Faith Lutheran Church served a small congregation in the tiny north-central Montana town just south of the Canadian border for nearly 90 years. In the not-too-distant future, what’s now called the Little White Church will be the worship center for a senior community planned by St. John’s Lutheran Ministries.

Read more: http://billingsgazette.com/news/loc...1fe-5419-be49-3713d2c95181.html#ixzz1y5dWiqkC

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
Certainly not the fanciest building listed here but my favorite music venue is Cordelia Lutheran, nestled in the wheat fields south of Moscow, Idaho. Having been built in 1883 it is the oldest standing Lutheran church in Idaho. It is surrounded by miles of nothing but wheat fields and has no electricity so when local music groups come to play for their summer concert series it is strictly an unplugged affair. The place would be jam packed if 50 people showed up and there's no air conditioning. On a hot day windows on both sides are kept open and there's usually a cool breeze to keep things comfortable. A hand cranked pump provides water if you're thirsty. It's not hard to imagine yourself 120 years ago in this place.
cordelia010Quicke-mailview.jpg

cordelia012Quicke-mailview.jpg

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I had almost forgotten all about this thread. Thank you to all that posted. I always enjoy seeing new places and pictures. :)

Spent the day at the Electric Palace in deepest Dorset.

An amazing art deco venue, Took this pic just to prove "I was there" http://twitpic.com/9d86wi

I love that sign!

My jaw dropped when I saw the second building (The Dillingham Transportation Building) you posted. I must see this place someday.

Thank you for sharing this article.

Certainly not the fanciest building listed here but my favorite music venue is Cordelia Lutheran, nestled in the wheat fields south of Moscow, Idaho. Having been built in 1883 it is the oldest standing Lutheran church in Idaho. It is surrounded by miles of nothing but wheat fields and has no electricity so when local music groups come to play for their summer concert series it is strictly an unplugged affair. The place would be jam packed if 50 people showed up and there's no air conditioning. On a hot day windows on both sides are kept open and there's usually a cool breeze to keep things comfortable. A hand cranked pump provides water if you're thirsty. It's not hard to imagine yourself 120 years ago in this place.
cordelia010Quicke-mailview.jpg

cordelia012Quicke-mailview.jpg

Thank you for sharing the pictures. I love visiting really old buildings like this too.

Dixie_Amazon

Practically Family
How I remeber the Saenger Theatre in NOLA flic.kr/p/bt6Eqa
The stars on the celiling were so beautiful when the lights were down.

Saenger Theatre Restoration: New Orleans, LA
[video]http://www.flickr.com//photos/saengernola/show/[/video]

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I paid a visit to Castle Conwy in Wales quite a few years ago. It's the ruins of a genuine medieval castle, and the town that surrounds it. We spent an entire day there, covering every square foot.

There is not one single photo that can do this place justice, but this one is pretty good. You simply must visit this place to appreciate it in all its ancient glory.

conwy-castle-aerial-aa03298b.jpg

This picture makes it look like a sand castle, but use the cars for scale.

Deco-Doll-1928

Practically Family
I paid a visit to Castle Conwy in Wales quite a few years ago. It's the ruins of a genuine medieval castle, and the town that surrounds it. We spent an entire day there, covering every square foot.

There is not one single photo that can do this place justice, but this one is pretty good. You simply must visit this place to appreciate it in all its ancient glory.

conwy-castle-aerial-aa03298b.jpg

This picture makes it look like a sand castle, but use the cars for scale.

I love castles. :)

Mangrove

One of the Regulars
The capital of Finland, Helsinki, being the World Design Capital 2012, I decided to show a couple of my favourite 20th century architectural pieces from Helsinki.

Mechelininkatu 39 - Apartment building build in 1939.

Helsinki1.jpg

Munkkiniemen puistotie 1 - Apartment building by U.G. Linnapuomi (1938).

Helsinki2.jpg

Laajalahdentie 7 - Munkkiniemi old fire station by Lauri Erik Hanstén (1931).

Helsinki3.jpg

Hollantilaisentie 11 - Former hotel by Eliel Saarinen (1919).

Helsinki4.jpg

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Here's another place I visited years ago: Castle Sant'Angelo in Rome, Italy. Very different from the typical English castle that is/was Castle Conwy. In fact, Sant'Angelo is still standing almost completely in its entirety, or at least it was when I was there.

CASTLE-SANT-ANGELO.jpg

While I was in both Northern England and Italy, I saw so many old buildings, mostly houses of worship, that I lost count.

One of these was a small church in the countryside around Manchester, England that was built and then added to over the centuries. The original part was built around 1100 AD. The entrance doorway is very short because people were generally smaller back then. I need to find the pictures I took of all these places.

The most famous 'ancient' building(s) I've been to, and possibly the most famous in the world, is the Vatican. Breathtaking anywhere you look.

Overall exterior:

vatican1.jpg

Typical interior:

sveit0499s.jpg

And the rotunda is a whole 'nother story. It's a huge indoor/outdoor space, all stone architecture, huge and ornate at the same time. I have real photographs (not digital) from when I was there. I need to find them and scan some of the best ones into my computer.

Last edited:

St. Louis

Practically Family
Great Question. This thread would take me for ever to answer, if I posted all my favorite historic sites -- and if I tried to think of all those lost sites that I'd love to see, I'd never get off the computer. As an adopted St. Louisan, though, I can at least address one small part of the answer: the "Mother Road," Route 66. Since I moved to the Midwest, I've been on various sections of Route 66 (which changed courses throughout its lifetime) and I'm still trying to find all the various venues that are still in existence. My goal is to visit every active Route 66 restaurant and shop in the city.

Here are a few of the ones that have survived, and one or two that have been lost. Here is
The Coral Court Motel (sadly destroyed in the 1990s); known as one of the "classiest No-tell Motels":

7677929612_ef5c207a02.jpg

Remaining pylons from the original Chain of Rocks Bridge across the Mississippi:
7677924374_2123cff812.jpg

I drive past this Route 66 donut shop quite often, since it's in my neighborhood. I haven't succumbed to temptation yet (a gal has to watch her figure, or no one else will):
7677920482_7278ed96e6.jpg

Here's a 1940s image of the Ted Drewes frozen custard stand-- still open, still looks just like this, still owned and managed by a Ted Drewes -- I think the grandson of the first one. The custard is to die for, particularly my favorite sundae, the Cardinal Sin (sour cherries on vanilla custard with hot fudge -- St. Louis is such a Catholic town, everyone gets the joke!)
7677920560_595d4bbfac.jpg

Last edited:

Flicka

One Too Many
I love Highgate cemetary. It's the most peaceful place I've ever been too. So lovely, lush and derelict; all at the same time. And there are foxes living there! I've seen them, though they're usually pretty good at keeping out of sight.

Some pictures I snapped last summer:

6295246623_e18e0f900e.jpg

6295771992_11908f569f.jpg

6295238933_8aea4c68e4.jpg

I love how in some places you get the feeling that it's a city for the dead.

6295240737_c5ac60d842.jpg

6295240277_ef81890d39.jpg

You can almost imagine that the dead go out and about at night! And isn't "Chillingworth" the perfect name? If I suspected I could pull it off, I'd so write a Diana Wynne-Jones/Eva Ibbotsen/Neil Gaiman-inspired children's book about it.

deco_droid

New in Town
Great Question. This thread would take me for ever to answer, if I posted all my favorite historic sites -- and if I tried to think of all those lost sites that I'd love to see, I'd never get off the computer. As an adopted St. Louisan, though, I can at least address one small part of the answer: the "Mother Road," Route 66. Since I moved to the Midwest, I've been on various sections of Route 66 (which changed courses throughout its lifetime) and I'm still trying to find all the various venues that are still in existence. My goal is to visit every active Route 66 restaurant and shop in the city.

Here are a few of the ones that have survived, and one or two that have been lost. Here is
The Coral Court Motel (sadly destroyed in the 1990s); known as one of the "classiest No-tell Motels":

7677929612_ef5c207a02.jpg

Remaining pylons from the original Chain of Rocks Bridge across the Mississippi:
7677924374_2123cff812.jpg

I drive past this Route 66 donut shop quite often, since it's in my neighborhood. I haven't succumbed to temptation yet (a gal has to watch her figure, or no one else will):
7677920482_7278ed96e6.jpg

Here's a 1940s image of the Ted Drewes frozen custard stand-- still open, still looks just like this, still owned and managed by a Ted Drewes -- I think the grandson of the first one. The custard is to die for, particularly my favorite sundae, the Cardinal Sin (sour cherries on vanilla custard with hot fudge -- St. Louis is such a Catholic town, everyone gets the joke!)
7677920560_595d4bbfac.jpg

Route 66 -- That is a great choice for historic place/building -- and that little motel is so cute. I hate when perfectly good buildings are leveled like that though, especially when they survived intact for so long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails