Favorite jacket? Owned or dreamed of.

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by Jrolfe, Aug 4, 2020.

1. JMax

JMax My Mail is Forwarded Here

2. Yep..for some of us scrolling past all the veering off topic wordage to find photos of dream jackets is tiresome and boring. Yet we all like you too......:rolleyes:

davyjones007 likes this.
  3. Peter Bowden

Peter Bowden Practically Family

Searching for a dream jacket led me to this site which I don't recall being mentioned on the Lounge
    https://bamfstyle.com/menu/
    Being a movie fan,one of my favourite outfits is Clint Eastwood's in Joe Kidd

Attached Files:

4. El Marro

El Marro Call Me a Cab

Spoke to Constantine last Tuesday and he told me it would probably be another couple weeks. He said that they have a big backlog on custom orders right now and that they are moving as fast as they can to get through it.

JMax and dannyk like this.
  5. AeroFan_07

AeroFan_07 Call Me a Cab

Nice double knee Carhartt's! I have a hard time picturing wearing any leather for electrician work, but if it works for you, great!!

Taking me a bit to decide what my favorite one is - any suggestions? :)

6. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Agreed about a well fighting jacket. Jackets are, unfortunately for me, a touchy item. I've got a tall torso, short arms, and the general build of a 5ft 10in linebacker. I've tried on motojackets, Perfecto style jackets, whatever you wanna call them, many times and I've yet to find one that fits my body style. Last one I tried on, the body stopped at my navel, and the arms were at least four inches past my fingertips. I admire the look, but I just don't have the body for 'em.

And this place is definitely bad for my wallet.
    I spend a lot of time on my feet, outside, and the durability, waterproofing, and comfort of my boots are very important to me. I've got a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers from the store in town that I use as dress boots, but usually wear my Carolina Loggers as my main boots. I've got a pair of steel toe for work, and a pair without for leisure. They're the most durable, most comfortable leather work boot I've ever found. I slip in one of those Dr. Scholl inserts in there for added comfort, and my feet never hurt at the end of the day. I've really no use for boots that can't perform. I've also got a few sneakers for leisure, but they almost never get worn outside of the summer months. I get too tempted to take a stroll through the mud.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm very much on this train. As I mentioned, I may spend a considerable amount of work time outside, but I could not wear a jacket for the life of me in these humid Illinois summers. It's just not a thing that can happen. When the rain, wind, and weather comes flying in the Spring and Autumn months, I run right for my A2. There's nothing better that I'd like protecting my back than waterproof, wind blocking leather, but even the lightest leather patterns are pretty much an absolute no-go between mid-June and mid-October here.

Not to mention, I've always overheated easily, and leather being a material with no breathability, I physically cannot stand it.

I've very much in the same boat. I mix and match. I wear a lot of denim jeans, and dress shorts, sometimes with button-up shirts, but for the most part it's a half and half style. Whatever looks good under the hat.

I have a mix. Sometimes undershirts remain undershirts, sometimes undershirt are used as regular t-shirts, sometimes it's just a regular t-shirt, sometimes there's no undershirt at all. Chicagoland is known for its unpredictable weather patterns. There may be a snowstorm on Tuesday and beach weather on Thursday. It happens, and that means layers. In our Spring and Autumn months you can freeze in the morning, and get into shorts weather by mid-day. When I went to college in the city, you'd often hear the professors reminding the out of towner students to layer, layer, layer.

I'm a fellow flannel wearer, and flannels are one of the few clothing items I'm willing to put down good money on other than footwear and leather jackets. I will never underestimate the warmth and durability of a well built flannel.

As for the subject of Wrangler jeans vs other brands, I've never found Wranglers to be any better than other high-end store-bought brands like Land's End or Eddie Bauer. I usually pick up a pair or two of either whenever they go on sale, and they usually last me a few years. I've bought Wrangler brand before, and have always found them to be uncomfortable and ill-fitting to my body shape. I'll never bother with them again.

If we're gonna discuss JUST leather jackets, then my F-Jackets Reeve's for its lightweight leather:
    [​IMG]

And my LL Bean A-2 for its med-heavy weight leather are definitely my top two.
    [​IMG]

7. sweetfights

sweetfights Call Me a Cab

Do you the Buco better than the Kensington? If so why?

davyjones007 likes this.
  8. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, for a few reasons. First, the Buco is worn-in and oozes character. Given my limited opportunities to wear my jackets and the sheer number of jackets in my rotation, it will take me decades to wear-in my Kensingtons to a similar degree. Second, while my Kensingtons fit great, my Buco is like a second skin. Third, the Buco brand has its roots in the origins of cafe racers (along with several other manufacturers), and my Kensingtons simply do not have that historical back-story. Fourth, I hunted for the perfect (for me) Buco for several years and the successful completion of that hunt contributes to the pleasure derived from the jacket. To be clear, I love my two Kensingtons, but my Buco is unique within my collection.

9. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

I live in a city. I walk a bit (couple of miles a day) but very rarely where there is grass. The weather here is mild to hot. I drive a car. I can't understand the need in cities for massive soles or long boots that make your feet stink. :D All I need in a boot comes made here for around $100 (although they have gone up). They are more than a match for any leather jacket I might wear. My friends wear sneakers or flip flops - I don't own either.

Rossi.jpg

davyjones007 and handymike like this.
  10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

Your wife is right, if all tshirts in the world priced at $40 per piece, it wont make people in vietnam or bangladesh have decent living by western standard, instead it would make the whole south east asia topless not being able to afford buying tshirt. $12 tshirt doesnt mean people working there is abused. Its just different economy different currency exchange rate. I can eat a very fulfilling meal here in a decent restaurant for under $2. $12 tshirt here is seen as rather expensive t-shirt, probably close to the price of locally made shirt.

11. ton312

ton312

Sweet baby Jesus. If the time ever comes. You know who to call.

12. sweetfights

Thank you Superfluous.! Do you think given 20 years of wear the Kensington would fit like a second skin?

13. sweetfights

Ton- you need an Arcadia by Good Wear.

ton312 likes this.
  14. ton312

ton312

I’ll be honest, the repro market has left me extremely bored. That said. I agree! That’s a jacket I’d love to own and I’m damn sure I’d wear the piss out of it. I suspect I have a better chance at riding a rainbow unicorn though.

15. sweetfights

I hear you!! Strangers things have happened...

jonesy86 and ton312 like this.
  16. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

ooh this post has made several leather jacket repro makers thinking of downsizing their business:D

ton312 and El Marro like this.
  17. ton312

ton312

LOL. Ask me if I feel the same way in a month!

navetsea and tmitchell59 like this.
  18. Edward

Edward Bartender

dannyk and Peter Bowden like this.
  19. Graemsay

Graemsay Practically Family

I'd like a simple Cossack, Half Belt, or Café Racer jacket. Unlined, a couple of pockets, and in a leather that will look disreputable with age...

However, I keep on looking at the Electric Leather Studios jackets and thinking of going rather more seventies.

20. Edward

Edward Bartender

Sure, nobodsy looking at Clinch is likely to turn aroun and buy a pair of Grinders, but my point was more that with engineers being such a niche, there's not the demand for a range of options the way there are with jackets. Say you want an A2 or a G1 style - there are options from the very basic, general look if not all the details from $100, mid-price options at around $400, high end stuff like Aero at, what, closing in on a grand US? Goodqwear a bit above that, and then ELC and the Japanese makers with prices that are jus astronomical. With engineer boots now, especially with Chippewa and RedWing seemingly backing away from the style, it's increasingly the case that there's the bottom end of the market, mall-type stuff, then it's a huge jump to Wesco, then another huge jump to the likes of Clinch. I suspect that if there was a bigger market for these boots, we'd start to see a lot more options in and around the various price bands, for the guys who want something better than the budget lines, but can't stretch to the Clinch end of things.

Ha, I think that's a bit cruel, but yeah.... it's certainly true that the cheapest of Engineer boots have no real shape. Better ones I've had, including RedWings and Chippewas, echo more the curve of the calf muscle and have a defined heel cap. Neither my RWs or my Chips need an insole - commonly with cheaper boots, not having laces to adjust them, I notice they are commonly too loose and need an insole to snug them up for comfortable wear.

Snugger fit definityely seems to be something which comes as you go up the cost-scale (as expected).

The cartoony, exaggerated but subtly so thing does seem to be part of how they do things in Japan; I would agree that it's a lot to do with replicating the look as was worn rather than as they were new. Nto dissimilar to the 'tea core' hides being designed to age much faster than standard.

It'sw the utilitarian simplicity I like, really, though it's certainly true two boots can have the same exact features but look very different indeed.

Yes, that's exactly the point. They are fantastic - I've handled them, I certainly wouldn't say no to a pair, though I'm not sure how comfortable I would be paying UK1500 for some boots; at half that, I'd likely try and manage it. What they have to offer really is different to the rest of the market, though my opiion still remains that if there was enough market demand that there were half a dozen makers producing these, I don't think they'd be able to charge quite so much - in part what they charging for is the intangible exclusivity.

I'd love to handle a pair of Clinches back to back with some Lewis A10 Mechanic boots - a more English (low-heeled and slimmer) take on the engineer boot. At £400, I've considered those, but I think I'd rather have a pair of Westways. The zipped-up, snugger fit of the latte would go better with a kilt, too. Which is a consideration - as I drop the excess weight slowly, I want to wear a kilt more often.

Whatever people wear, it always benefits from a little bit of thought into co-ordination.

It's the same thing, really - comfort and aesthetics. Casually, I'm much more comfortable with my feet in a good, leather boot or brogue. I used to wear gutties years ago; spent most of my university years in boots, and then I had a couple of pairs of trainers again after that, purely for hotter weather. Learned over time though that I was not any cooler in a pair of canvas gutties than a leather shoe, and so I've not had any trainers now in well over a decade. If I feel the need in the heat, I'll switch to a pair of penny loafers or saddle shoes. I'm toying with the idea next year of trying some perforated leather co-respondents. I'm just physically more comfortable in a well-made leather shoe - but then I find physical comfort is wholly subjective. I'm also more comfrotable, physically, in a well-fitting suit than I could ever possibly be in "athletic leisurewear". Aesthetics can come into play - I would never wear what I consider an ugly shoe, which includes for me 99% of training shoes, but all the same there are plenty of those I think look great - they're just not for me.

This goes back to the law of diminishing returns, and where we choose jump off the train...

I remember Andrew - Aswatland as he used to post here - saying once that "all men are a bit autistic" - in the contest of hobbies and clothes. When you compare how men look at 'vintage' in the broadest sense to them women, he wasn't far wrong IMO. I mean, if we were the sort of people, like most of my relatives, for whom clothes are ephemeral and really only there to provide warmth, pockets in which to carry stuff, and avoid arrest for exposure, none of this would matter to us. But here we are...

I know I get intensely annoyed if I wear a brown belt weith black shoes by accident, or I go out without a pocket square....

Of course, if we go back to "necessity", we'd all be wearing either a cotton jumpsuit of some Star Trek design, or we'd still be dressing like Fred Flintstone...

Blackadder likes this.