Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite restaurants and watering holes

WH1

Practically Family
My wife and I enjoy fine dining particularly at classic restaurants. I have listed several we visit as often as possible and I would enjoy hearing about some of the ones visited and recommended by other lounge members, particularly in the south as we have just moved here.

One of our favorites and a true 1920's classic is the Columbia Gorge Hotel overlooking the Columbia River in Hood River, Oregon. It has quite a history and amazing grounds and the hotel serves a great menu and an amazing caviar bar and brunch. Plus you can drive down the Columbia Gorge highway which was built in the 20's and is still one of the most scenic drives anywhere in the country. We did it in a convertible on a warm, cloudless July day.

http://www.columbiagorgehotel.com/

The next is a new place Joel Robuchon at the Mansion in the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Robuchon is one of the top chefs in France, he is Michelin rated and this is his first restaurant in America. It is very pricey but worth every dime. We had the 16 course meal, it took over 4 hours to eat and was amazing. We had a personal wait staff and it is a very formal and traditional dining experience. The restaurant is an art deco recreation masterpiece. They only seat a very limited number of people each evening and upon completion of our meal they presented us with a fresh brioche and detailed copies of the menu, one of which is now framed and displayed on the wall of our dining room.

In Palm Springs, California there is Melvyns at the Ingleside Inn. It was one of Sinatra's favorites and was very popular with the Hollywood crowd in the 40', 50's, 60's. They sell a great print done by Salvador Dali, showing all of the hollywood celebrities dining at Melvyn's. The wait staff still wear white linen jackets, the bartender is the same one who served Sinatra and makes a great martini. They observe the old traditions, when I went to bathroom the Maitre De came and waited with my wife until I returned. The food is excellent and very reasonably priced. Dress for the occaision, they appreciate it.

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Great topic! My two favorites both happen to be in Minnesota, and it's a shame I only get to make it up there either in the winter or summer.
First is The Lex(ington), to which I was introduced first. It started up in the 1930's and has been a city favorite ever since. The surroundings are lush and opulent, maybe even intimidating to some, but the atmosphere is quite relxed and calming, and the place exudes an atmosphere of casual, settled elegance. Friendly, attentive service, and wonderful, traditional meals simply serve to complete the already wonderful place.
http://www.the-lexington.com/
Take a look at the place:
south3_2.jpg

south1_2.jpg

The second is W.A. Frosts, more for the surroundings than anything else, but it's nice all-around, too:
http://www.wafrost.com/home.html

LadyStardust

Practically Family
Haven't been there, as the area we stay in when up there is either Minneapolis, or split time between the former and Bluefin Bay, in Duluth. That is a beautiful building though! :) That's the main reason I love the city/state so much. That it's such a relatively vast place, but has managed to retain such a good amount of its lengthy and rich history, both architecturally and atmospherically. To me, I sense a distinct old-fashioned charm whenever I'm there, and feel much more at home there than where I'm at now, where I've lived longer. Southern hospitality, my foot! :p

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
One of my favourites is BeatNiq, a tiny, dimly lit, basement bar, that often features live jazz, don't let the size fool ya, it's almost always packed full, but always manages to be comfortable, and the nibbles and drinks are impeccable. Love it, love it, love it!:)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Le Colonial, a French-Vietnamese house reminiscent of
Indochina's romantic elegance; located near Dublin's Pub, where
the beer is cold and the colleens are warm and friendly. :)
The Golden Noodle, a quaint Thai house near the Cathedral,
and Chicago Blues down the street at Superior and Dearborn
for beer and Jazz. :)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
It's Sullivans steakhouse

IT's such a "GUY" place. Dark Oak wood. Steel counters. Old pictures of boxers. Man I love it. If your ever in Anchorage, Alaska stop in

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My favorite spot in New York is Barrymore's, on West 45th Street -- basically a classy hole-in-the-wall sort of place full of theatrical memorabilia and excellent, affordable meals. They're so good they don't *need* to have a website!

In Boston, I always like to go to Finale -- http://www.finaledesserts.com/ -- a dessert restaurant with three locations in the city and environs, and the best melted-chocolate cake the world has ever known.

Around to home, my watering hole of choice is the Black Bull on Main Street in Rockland -- look for the "Ex-Lax" sign on the door (it used to be a drugstore long ago...) http://www.blackbulltavern.com/

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We have a great Tapas restaurant a few blocks from us. It's not vintage inside, but when eating there one would never realize that they are in Boston. I feel like I'm transported to Spain. The decor is in that old world Spanish style, the food is great (there's always a long wait;(), and the Sangria is magnificent:) It's a great spot to eat and the staff is great too.

Even though it's a chain, I enjoy Smith and Wolensky, the branch in downtown Boston. It has a very vintage feel to it. I particularly like the "private tables", They are literally wooden boxes that contain a big wooden table. Big, luxurious curtains drape the entrance, which you can close for privacy. It's a very fine atmosphere.

For a spectacular meal, great belini's and a wonderful vintage feel, nothing beats Harry's in Venice, Italy.

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
My favorite spot in New York is Barrymore's, on West 45th Street -- basically a classy hole-in-the-wall sort of place full of theatrical memorabilia and excellent, affordable meals. They're so good they don't *need* to have a website!

In Boston, I always like to go to Finale -- http://www.finaledesserts.com/ -- a dessert restaurant with three locations in the city and environs, and the best melted-chocolate cake the world has ever known.

Around to home, my watering hole of choice is the Black Bull on Main Street in Rockland -- look for the "Ex-Lax" sign on the door (it used to be a drugstore long ago...) http://www.blackbulltavern.com/

Good news Lizzie, Finale has opened more locations!:)
I'm a fan of Finale too, oh the sweets they have, just dreamy....hmmm.
Well, they have recently opened a branch in Coolidge Corner in Brookline, although I like the atmosphere of the one in Harvard Square. Coolidge Corner is about a 2 minute drive from my house, a miles walk. But, I shouldn't complain about that miles walk, for after eating there I need it!
If you like Finale's sweets you would probably love Party Favors. They are a party supply boutique, supplying all sorts of party favors. But, they also have a bakery. It used to be in the basement, but they have just expanded and now have a beautiful bake shoppe and candy shoppe with the finest chocolates, on the first floor. They have a wide array of different sweets ranging from cookies to streudle's to different types of flans and fruit bars. But their specialty are their cakes and their cupcakes. They are works of art, almost too pretty to eat. They will make you a cake resembling anything. They display all of the cakes in big cases, so you can check them out. The last time I was there someone had a cake made to look like one of the large ships from Star Wars (sorry, I don't know the names of the ships). Their flower cakes and cupcakes are works of art. They do every imaginable flower, but I love the different orchids that they do. They are so life like.
You will have to come down for a visit. We can have coffee and sweets at Finale and then walk just a block up to Party Favors. The art deco movie theater, the Coolidge Corner Theater, is also in the same little area. It's a great place to hang out.

Paratrooper

Familiar Face
WH1 said:
I went there a couple of times in the late 80s and early 90s. It has a great bar beautiful vintage woodwork and a tin ceiling.

http://www.dbsearles.com
I spent many a night their while going to St. Cloud State University, was the 1st place that I had a Guinness Stout warm......mmmmmmmmm heaven
Now it's Brit's pub, or The Local in downtown Mpls, a sheepards pie and pint of cider and I'm all set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails