Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Saying?

Marty M.

Vendor
Here's a few.

"Luck is preparedness meeting opportunity" I heard this from Earl Nightingale

"You are accountable for everything that you do" I heard this from my lead councelor when I was in Silver Spring Boys Home (got into a little trouble in my teens [huh] ).

"If its gotta be, then it's up to me" Authored by Brian Tracy.

"Cut me and I bleed Glen Plaid" Authored by me.

Marty Mathis

JazzBaby

Practically Family
My grandmother was from the proper Irish countryside and had some great sayings. I was a particularly sloppy dresser as a child, and when I looked especially dishevilled I was "like an ass looking over a half door."

I also love "just because you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you." Always makes me laugh! And of course, the one in my signature.

Michael10

New in Town
Sayings - -

What the mind of mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve.

Life is 85% attitude and 15% aptitude. It's not what you know, it's how you feel about it.

Fake it until you make it.

You become what you think about.

May I 'try on' your hat?

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
He was dancing like, "A cat burying sh!t on a marble floor!"

"They keep you doped with religion, and sex, and t.v.,
but you're still (bleepin') peasants as far as I can see." -jol

"When your outgo exceeds your income,
then your upkeep becomes your downfall."

-dixon cannon

...and most importantly, read below!

Real Swell Gal

One of the Regulars
My favorite Einstein quote,
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity.
And I'm not so sure about the former."

I'm also a Jefferson fan....

A democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where fifty-one percent of the people may take away the rights of the other forty-nine.

And Thomas Paine (must be the Deist in me)
Every man has the right to his opinion,however different that opinion might be to mine. He who denies to another this right,makes a slave of himself to his present opnion,because he precludes himself the right of changing it.

" A fish stinks from the head"
(insert politician name here) "...had his/her foot in the public trough long enough..."
(response to How Are You?) "Fair to middlin', keepin' the forked end down; what'a you know that your'e willing to tell?"
or a thought for these times: "KILL YOUR CELLPHONE".

Chas

One Too Many
Harry S. Truman ~ "Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day".

George S. Patton ~ "If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

Winston Churchill ~ "You make a living by what you get; you make a life by what you give."

Winston Churchill ~ "We didn't come this far because we are made of sugar candy."

Winston again ~ "I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me."

FDR ~ "If you treat people right they will treat you right... ninety percent of the time."

CharlesB

Suspended
Here's some great Churchill...

http://amomentintime.com/transcript.asp?AMIT_ID=1236

Among the most effective tools in Churchill's rhetorical arsenal were his wit and sarcasm. In his multi-volume biography William Manchester recalls some of the most incisive of Churchill's encounters. Lady Astor, the American-born socialite and first female Member of Parliament got so exasperated at a dinner party one night that she told him: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd poison your soup." He replied, "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

But perhaps it was Clement Attlee, the man who defeated him in the elections of 1945 and whose ego was large enough to enjoy the jabs, who endured some of Churchill's most infamous digs. He called Attlee "a sheep in sheep's clothing," and "a modest man with much to be modest about."

Labor Party policy after World War II led to the government taking over major sections of British industry. Churchill despised this scheme of nationalization and made it clear one day when he met Attlee in the House of Common's men's room. Attlee arrived first. When Churchill arrived, he stood as far away from him as possible. Attlee said, "Feeling standoffish today, are we, Winston?" Churchill said: "That's right. Every time you see something big, you want to nationalize it." Winston Churchill, Statesman and Wit.

jayem

A-List Customer
"Grudge the Grudgers!"

I think Anne Boleyn used to say that.

We all know what happened to her...

Assorted personal favorites here.

All from Clint Smith, director of Thunder Ranch:
"'Paranoia' is simply a state of heightened awareness."
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"
"If you're not shootin', you should be loadin'. If you're not loadin', you should be movin'. If you're not movin', someone's gonna cut your head off and put it on a stick."
"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty."

"Mr. Atta, I'll see your box-cutter and raise you three feet of American hardwood."--Massad Ayoob, director of LFI
"Someone tries to kill you, you kill 'em right back!"--Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." And my own corollary to it: "Interpret how others treat you as stating their preferences--then give them exactly what they want."

metropd

One Too Many
CharlesB said:
Here's some great Churchill...

http://amomentintime.com/transcript.asp?AMIT_ID=1236

Among the most effective tools in Churchill's rhetorical arsenal were his wit and sarcasm. In his multi-volume biography William Manchester recalls some of the most incisive of Churchill's encounters. Lady Astor, the American-born socialite and first female Member of Parliament got so exasperated at a dinner party one night that she told him: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd poison your soup." He replied, "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."

But perhaps it was Clement Attlee, the man who defeated him in the elections of 1945 and whose ego was large enough to enjoy the jabs, who endured some of Churchill's most infamous digs. He called Attlee "a sheep in sheep's clothing," and "a modest man with much to be modest about."

Labor Party policy after World War II led to the government taking over major sections of British industry. Churchill despised this scheme of nationalization and made it clear one day when he met Attlee in the House of Common's men's room. Attlee arrived first. When Churchill arrived, he stood as far away from him as possible. Attlee said, "Feeling standoffish today, are we, Winston?" Churchill said: "That's right. Every time you see something big, you want to nationalize it." Winston Churchill, Statesman and Wit.

Pure Genuis!

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
"The power of the human mind is limited only by the human mind." - Me

"When in doubt, mumble." - my friend, Russ.

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a sexy car and they're pretty much the same thing." - from a Jim Benton comic strip.

Lee

"A .jpeg is worth 1MB of .txt."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ