Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Saying?

Petty Nihilist

New in Town
I've taken liberty to hide my signature, so as to avoid being particularly redundant.

Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.
~Buckaroo Banzai

While its source is an arguably not-great film and it might be considered sassy pointing out of the obvious, I tend to think it more than anything a marvelous synopsis of Stoic philosophy.

Ask not that events should happen as you will, but let your will be that events should happen as they do, and you shall have peace.[/i]
~Epictetus

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
"I'm the Police Chief. I know everything."
talk about getting some weird looks...i say it whenever some says 'how do you know?'

D

DeaconKC

One of my Dad's best lines was "There's a big difference in telling a woman when you look in her eyes, time stands still or telling her her face would stop a clock."

toobacat

One of the Regulars
A couple of years ago, we had an elderly lady at work that I would try to help with computer tasks. When she couldn't take it anymore, she would say, "That's just too much candy for a nickel".

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
One of my Dad's best lines was "There's a big difference in telling a woman when you look in her eyes, time stands still or telling her her face would stop a clock."

i love that quote...

Custom79

One of the Regulars
one from my childhood...

I too, received comments on my attempts to dress myself as a youngster. My dad would look at me, smile and say "you look like the dogs breakfast!"

C79

zaika

One Too Many
kind of a fan of Plato...

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.

For a man to conquer himself is the first and noblest of all victories.

jdbenson

One of the Regulars
Faves

"Time wounds all heels." - Nick Lowe

"The fact that we live at the bottom of a deep gravity well, on the surface of a gas covered planet going around a nuclear fireball 93 million miles away and think this to be normal is obviously some indication of how skewed our perspective tends to be." - Douglas Adams

Warbaby

One Too Many
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."

- H.L. Mencken

"Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates."

- Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

"The cure for anything is salt water -- sweat, tears or the sea."

- Isak Dinnesen

dr greg

One Too Many
more churchill

This is my favourite quote from him:
As a young man, Churchill was asked by a friend about the London dinner party he had attended the night before.

"Well, " replied Churchill, "it would have been splendid . . . if the wine had been as cold as the soup, the beef as rare as the service, the brandy as old as the fish, and the maid as willing as the duchess."

Bertrand Russell was no slouch either:

The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there is no good evidence either way.

The people who are regarded as moral luminaries are those who forego ordinary pleasures themselves and find compensation in interfering with the pleasures of others.

and last but not least GBS:

The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it.

Martyrdom is the only way in which a man can become famous without ability.

A fashion is nothing but an induced epidemic.

Spatterdash

A-List Customer
"Death smiles upon us all; just grin back at the son of a b*#!h."

"Never seek a perfect spouse, just find a dear friend who happens to be fun naked."

"Be funny, smell like soap and own the soil you stand on."

Those were from my grandfather. He likely got them from somewhere else, but he gave them to me, and I'm leaving his name on them.
They all work, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ