Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
For me, the type of Mojito is critical. Heat and sweet don't meet well with me. If it's heavy on the mint and booze, sounds great.

When Mint Juleps are served in that ice cold metal cup, I can't imagine what would be better.

But in that post-yard work haze, I think I'd rather have an ice cold lager from an ice cold aluminum can. That's probably the only time I prefer can to bottle or glass, but in that moment, can please.

I'm a big fan of margaritas as well, as long as they aren't sweetened, and I affiliate them with summer.

Either that or a watermelon filled with vodka.

SteveAS

Practically Family
swinggal said:
Don't knock the Pimms No. 1 Cup! It's gin based which is why I like it.

I agree that Pimm's can be the basis of a fine, refreshing summer drink. Considerably simpler than swinggal's drink is Pimm's and ginger ale, which, I believe, is called a Pimm's Rangoon. Sweet, bitter, spicy, and refreshing all at the same time!

swinggal

One Too Many
SteveAS said:
I agree that Pimm's can be the basis of a fine, refreshing summer drink. Considerably simpler than swinggal's drink is Pimm's and ginger ale, which, I believe, is called a Pimm's Rangoon. Sweet, bitter, spicy, and refreshing all at the same time!

I like Pimms an ginger ale too. JP, have you tried it with ginger ale? I've never found Pimms bitter mixed this way or in a Pimms Punch. It's not something I'd drink straight.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jamespowers said:
So if you pour beer over cereal then that is overkill? ;) :p

Probably, my only real life experience with both cereal and beer is Trix and Stroh's but that was on a college canoe trip, prior to somebody driving to town for 8 pounds of bacon and donuts. Technically, we just drank Stroh's and passed the Trix around.

It must be an acquired taste, one that I was unable to successfully acquire. :p

Later

swinggal said:
I like Pimms an ginger ale too. JP, have you tried it with ginger ale? I've never found Pimms bitter mixed this way or in a Pimms Punch. It's not something I'd drink straight.

Straight it might just kill you. ;) :p
I have tried it a dozen ways and I still just can't acquire a taste for it. I gave the rest of the bottle away to an unsuspecting friend. ;) :p

1961MJS said:
Probabloy, my only real life experience with both cereal and beer is Trix and Stoh's but that was on a college canoe trip, prior to somebody driving to town for 8 pounds of bacon and donuts. Technically, we just drank Stroh's and passed the Trix around.

It must be an acquired taste, one that I was unable to successfully acquire. :p

Later

Trix with beer are definitely not for kids or rabbits. ;) :p

Feraud

Bartender
The old standby is gin & tonic.
This summer I am branching out and will be fooling with daquiris. I will delve into our rum thread and experiment with the recommended brands.

rumblefish

One Too Many
Feraud said:
This summer I am branching out and will be fooling with daiquiris..

That sounds like a good idea.

I never cared for them much because most that I've had were way too sweet. I believe, like many bartender made margaritas, they suffered from being made with way too much sugar or from mixes, (and really, margaritas don't even need sugar).

A little experimenting and a lot less sugar, and I'll squeeze daiquiris on to my menu too.:)

rumblefish said:

I never cared for them much because most that I've had were way too sweet. I believe, like many bartender made margaritas, they suffered from being made with way too much sugar or from mixes, (and really, margaritas don't even need sugar).

A little experimenting and a lot less sugar, and I'll squeeze daiquiris on to my menu too.:)

No Cynar margaritas now. :eek: *yucky* :p

Feraud

Bartender
rumblefish said:

Agree. Bartenders (and pre-mixes) overload the sugar and minimize the lime. It has diminished this great little drink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo