Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

warbird

One Too Many
Summer is all about.......... .. the deck. RedPop, dont get any deck envy now.

Grilling, lounging and nice summer drinks and Buena Vista Social Club or some other Cuban jazz playing on the stereo. I have pot after pot of fresh mints of all types growing on the deck as well. Makes for great sun tea.

Probably my favorite summer drinks besides tea, which I consume all year all day, are probably a nice cold crisp beer (I prefer ales in the summer) and Sangria (which I just made my first batch of the season this week).

If you are unfamiliar with Sangria, it is a Spanish drink, which is also very popular in Latin speaking Central and South America and the Caribbean.

This is how I make mine, though you can do it many ways;

Thin slices of an orange, lemon, lime and sometimes peach and/or apple. You can use just about any other fruits with the first three listed. I wouldnt use coconut or pineapple though.

Place into a jar and add a
1/4 to a 1/2 cup of sugar, less is ok too
1/2 to a cup cup of Brandy, inexpensive is fine. Closer to a cup if you like the kick
1 liter of red wine, any will do but, I like a merlot
Make sure to dissolve the sugar
Leave in the fridge for at least a day so the juices of the fruits mix well with the brandy and wine. I place mine in a jar or container which I can shake up a bit. Otherwise stir several times.

Serving:
Pour a glass half to 2/3 full then add fresh Sprite, 7 up or spritzer water and ice. Garnish with a slice of orange, lemon or lime.

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
If I drank I would definitely go for a Mint Julep (to open the Kentucky Derby of course) or a Highball. Non-alcoholic beverages don't seem that appealing in the light of my twenty-first birthday (still about eleven months away) and a perfect summer season to get to know them a little better. In moderation of course. And knowing my family and the sappy drinks they serve (always beer) at functions and get-togethers, I'll be roughing it on my own. I wonder what my mother will think to see me bringing in bottles of liquor.;)

L_H

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
If someone else is making it, a Mojito is perfect for summer.

I used to love Gin and Tonic, but gin makes me pugnacious, so now it is a Vodka Tonic. I do love those Mojitos though. :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
your a bad influence! drink in moderation...always...hangovers are not fun, plus you always regret what you do when your drunk:eusa_doh:

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
If someone else is making it, a Mojito is perfect for summer.

Definately! In have great memories of sitting in Old San Juan sipping Mojitos, waiting for the evening to cool off. There is no better drink, as long as they are made right. Lacking any talent at mixing, the Williams and Sonoma mix is an excellent subsitute for one fresh made.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
There is one summer drink that's better: it's called a Pisco Sour. The "national cocktail" of Peru and Chile, it's made with Pisco (a grape brandy that tastes like very smooth tequila), small Pica limes, sugar, and beaten egg whites (to give it a floating froth.) Once you have a Pisco Sour, you'll never go back!

Chilean Pisco here: http://www.beveragewarehouse.com/search/more_info.php?item_id=5112

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Mojave Jack said:
Definately! In have great memories of sitting in Old San Juan sipping Mojitos, waiting for the evening to cool off. There is no better drink, as long as they are made right. Lacking any talent at mixing, the Williams and Sonoma mix is an excellent subsitute for one fresh made.
I had my first Mojito in Old San Juan as well. How interesting... Though it is a Cuban drink, if I am not mistaken. :)

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
mysterygal said:
your a bad influence! drink in moderation...always...hangovers are not fun, plus you always regret what you do when your drunk:eusa_doh:

Not always... :D

I'm a G&T man as well, but I also have an enormous fondness for Gin Slings.

And champagne's perfect at any time of the year!

KAT

A-List Customer
a good cold german beer :p :cheers1:
Mojitos for sure...but everytime i tried to order one in the US ..nobody knew what i was talking about! :eusa_doh:
SANGRIA? Delicious..but baaaaad evil evil experience..
and this is how people drink Sangria on the spanish island of Mallorca:eusa_doh:

Malle15.jpg

:whistling .not that i drink...best summer drink is Water
but theres nothing better then your own house bar;)

BettyValentine

A-List Customer
When it is really hot outside cold mugitya, barley tea, is really refreshing, but for some reason it has to be really very hot outside for it to be good.

And now I want a mojito.

xoxo,
BV

KAT said:
a good cold german beer :p :cheers1:
Mojitos for sure...but everytime i tried to order one in the US ..nobody knew what i was talking about! :eusa_doh:
SANGRIA? Delicious..but baaaaad evil evil experience..
and this is how people drink Sangria on the spanish island of Mallorca:eusa_doh:

Malle15.jpg

:whistling .not that i drink...best summer drink is Water
but theres nothing better then your own house bar;)

Ha ha. Most likely they're British ...

Been there, done that. Got a T-shirt covered in ... don't want to think about it ...

bk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21