Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Swate r'unswate Tae?

Zohar said:
Another drink that I like while working in the yard on a hot summer day is iced sweet tea, or lemonade from a mason jar.

That Waffle House Question "Sweet or Unsweet?" has spread all the way to restaurants in Ohio now! :)

If I'm working outside, I like a bladder-buster sized glass of ice water. If it's a summer gathering of friends, anything they hand me is fine. Sangria is nice. I'll have to try a mojito!

Mike K.

One Too Many
A really refreshing summer drink that I also like a lot is a cold glass of selzter water with a healthy squirt of fresh lime juice (or lemon).

You can't go wrong with an icy cold Coca-Cola.

Also, Sunkist soda always seems to bring back fond childhood summer memories for me. Remember the Beach Boys - Good Vibrations commercials?

My summertime drink - A real daiquiri.

I say real because when you ask for one in a bar these days, you invariably get the answer 'we don't have an ice machine'. People have come to think the daiquiri as the 'frozen' daiquiri, and have pretty much forgotten what a daiquiri is supposed to be.

My recipe for construction:

1) Take a cocktail glass (the triangular glass that everyone else likes to call a martini glass (another argument, another thread)) and stick it in the freezer. Take a metal cocktail shaker - sitck it in the freezer.

2) Make simple syrup - 3 parts sugar, 1 part water. Boil and let cool.

3) Strain fresh lime juice - obtain a fine mesh sieve for this purpose. There is no place for pulp in daiquiri. A tall drink - arguable, a cocktail - inarguable.

4) In another shaker:

3 parts white rum (I use Ron Mathusalem which is Cuban original recipe now distilled in Nicuragua)

1 part lime juice

.5 part sugar syrup

.5 part Orgeat (now, thankfully, readily available at many Italian markets)

5) If you haven't a blender or Hamilton mixer, shake these ingredients. Either way, do so WITHOUT ICE. (The sugar syrup won't mix well when cold)

6) Crush a scoop of ice and place in cold shaker removed from freezer.

7) Pour drink into chilled shaker and shake again - about 10 seconds.

8) Remove cocktail glass from freezer and strain drink into glass. No ice should be allowed into the glass.

9) Do not decorate with garbage. Do not attempt to sugar frost the rim of the glass. (makes the drink far too sweet)

10) Hold glass by STEM (so your hand doesn't warm the cold glass) find a spot in the shade and drink.

11) Repeat steps 1 through 10 as often as necessary

Yes, this is a LOT of work for a cocktail, but when it comes to drinking, there's no room for laziness.

Enjoy.

Senator Jack

Mike K.

One Too Many
Thank You Senator Jack!!!

I sure am glad to see that somebody knows what a real daiquiri is supposed to be. Slush machines are for tourists! To add my two cents for anyone interested...use Key Limes (as opposed to Indian limes) for a more authentic and more tart taste. BTW, Key Limes are the little round limes and are YELLOW when ripe. Add a little mint and you have an authentic Mojito.
:cool:

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Senator, once again you've put a smile on my face. Next time I'm in New York, I'm going to have to buy you a drink.

(We need a cheers icon with cocktail glasses for moments like this)

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
CAIPIRINHA

I present for consideration, the Brazilian contender and cousin to the mojito:

INGREDIENTS
1 lime quartered
1 tablespoon of sugar
1 shot of cacha?ßa
1/2 Cup of ice cubes with water

PREPARE:
Place the lime and sugar in the bottom of a glass.
Using the handle of a wooden spoon, crush and mash
the limes. Pour the liqueur and ice. Stir well.

SERVE
This is a summer drink to appreciate before eating.
Decorate the glass with a slice of lime. Great with Brazilian barbecues.

Gin & Pink Lemonade

This is a great early evening BBQ drink, and you can set your own mix rate. We usually use Minutemaid Pink Lemonade, and then the London Dry Gin type of your choice. Use tall, tall highball glasses and a moderate amount of ice. And don't forget the cool stirrers!

If not that then a Pale Ale from a concerned microbrewery! (Always good with BBQ!):cheers1:

Posted by Doc Devereux:

Senator, once again you've put a smile on my face.

That must be the booze talking, Doc. I usually have the exact reverse effect on people. ;) But I am going to hold you to that drink!

Posted by Mike K.:
I sure am glad to see that somebody knows what a real daiquiri is supposed to be.

First, good call on the key limes. We can only get those around here once in a while, and I have to go to the specialty markets for them. BTW, you should see what they try pass off as key lime pie around here. (I once got a lemon merengue pie made of limes :eek: )

What's bothersome though is how classic drink names are appropriated for a completely different drink. Even if they're wrong about the ice, the bartenders at least know a daiquiri is supposed to be rum and lime. But have you tried to order a Sidecar lately? Now when I want one at a bar or restaurant, I have to ask 'How do you make your Sidecars?' and then the bartender gets snippy when I tell them that brandy, orange juice, and curacao in a snifter (served warm, no less) is definitely NOT a Sidecar. They don't seem to understand that if a person goes into a restaurant and orders spaghetti and meatballs, they expect to get spaghetti and meatballs, and not gnocchi and sausage. All right, I can get pretty riled about this subject so I better let it go for now.

Cheers to all,

Senator Jack

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
Soon after arriving in Chile, I made an astonished discovery: when you order, say, a Rum & Coke at a bar there, they give you a tall glass HALF FULL with rum, and a bottle of Coke on the side. Screwdrivers are half full with vodka. Bars, restaurants and even dance clubs never skimp on the alcohol. Why, oh why isn't it the same here?

By the way ... outside of the Cuba-embargoing U.S.A., a Rum & Coke is known as a "Cuba Libre" ("Free Cuba").

I found the same thing in Barcelona! The first time I ordered a rum & Coke, the bartender started pouing the rum right to the top, then added a little Coke for color. I only found out later that if you want less than a tumbler full of rum you have to tell him when to stop!

The worst part was, the bar we were in had a low beamed ceiling. We could stand up between the beams, but had to duck to walk across the bar. The more I drank the more often I forgot how low the beams were. It must have looked like a Laural & Hardy routine after a while!

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Longdrink: G&T, for citrus+booze drinks, Pisco Sour is excellent, but you don't get kosher Picso easily. I like it better than a Caipirinha, Daiquiri, and all the other citrus+booze drinks, with the occasional exception of a mojito.

But as we use central heating, my drinking habits aren't very seasonal anyway. A good rum, Bourbon or Scotch (all w/o ice or soda) or a dry martini will do. Sometimes an absinthe.

Caledonia

Practically Family
[QUOTE="Doc" Devereux]Not always... :D

I'm a G&T man as well, but I also have an enormous fondness for Gin Slings.

And champagne's perfect at any time of the year![/QUOTE]

I concur. Champagne, anytime, any day, any year, any planet. But an Islay malt with two draps of water, or in the winter a good Blend (grouse is my favourite) with green ginger wine... hard to beat. Apparently Churchill and another revered gentleman whose name I forget at the moment, used to down quantities of Champagne every day, plus I think it was Brandy in Churchill's case which he loved to dip his cigars in throughout said day, and they both survived to a ripe old age. Mmmm, must re-focus or I could slip off the wagon - like that hasn't already happened!

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
Margaritas are wildly popular here, so that's always a good bet. My personal summer favorite is mojitos, or pina coladas.

Either that or an icy cold watery beer, like Schlitz, Pabst, Hamm's, Miller High Life - gotta be something old and something light colored. Dark beers are great, but theyjust don't cut the mustard when it is 105 in the shade!

Non-alcoholic: fresh squeezed lemonade, hands down.

PrettyBigGuy

A-List Customer
This may sound a bit strange but a drink that is pretty tasty in the summer is bourbon (I perfer Maker's Mark) and cream soda over ice.
I'm also fond of Grey Goose orange vodka and soda.
There's also nothing like a good Mai Tai as well!
In the evenings a bit of Patron tequila in a snifner with a nice cigar is pretty nice too! When's the weekend!
PBG

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
I concur. Champagne, anytime, any day, any year, any planet. But an Islay malt with two draps of water, or in the winter a good Blend (grouse is my favourite) with green ginger wine... hard to beat. Apparently Churchill and another revered gentleman whose name I forget at the moment, used to down quantities of Champagne every day, plus I think it was Brandy in Churchill's case which he loved to dip his cigars in throughout said day, and they both survived to a ripe old age. Mmmm, must re-focus or I could slip off the wagon - like that hasn't already happened!

Ah! The joys of the Whisky Mac. Grouse is definitely the blend of choice here at Castle Devereux, too.

If you want to slip off the wagon, let me know. I'll arrange for a cushion. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points