Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Favorite Summer Drink

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
Michelada

This is a great summertime drink down here in South Texas, especially when authentically made. And funny thing is it's a drink that originated in the 1940's down in Mexico.

Michelada - in a salted rimmed glass
About 11 oz of tomato or Clamato juice
A few drops of tabasco sauce
A few drops of Worcestershire sauce
A few drops of soy sauce
A lime wedge
And slowly pour in a bottle of a good Mexican beer

Had a buddy of mine from Mexico make a few gallons (yes gallons) of this for a party and mmm, mmm, mmm, sure did hit the spot . . .

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Champagne any time is great and I don't know if it has a name but I take Vernor's ginger ale(great stuff) and mix it with Rye Whiskey and lots of ice.
I got the idea from someone here on the lounge and it is one of the most refreshing drinks I've ever had.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Selentino said:
Champagne any time is great and I don't know if it has a name but I take Vernor's ginger ale(great stuff) and mix it with Rye Whiskey and lots of ice.
I got the idea from someone here on the lounge and it is one of the most refreshing drinks I've ever had.

Yep, it has a name: Highball. Rye and ginger ale. Good stuff.:)

Brad

Pip

A-List Customer
Well, for me it would have to be Pimms No1 with ginger ale (plus mint, citrus fruits etc).

Although Gin and Tonic, mojitos, white wine, rose and various other concoctions are always welcomed on those warm, summer evenings ;)

Selentino

One of the Regulars
Thanks BB. I always thought a Highball was just any whiskey with ginger ale.
A couple of weeks ago I spent a few hours in my favorite Philadelphia cigar bar with about four of these drinks keeping me company, just what the Dr. ordered.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
True, but at the time the Highball was invented, rye was the most popular whiskey. Many of our classic cocktails were invented with rye.

Brad

rkwilker

One Too Many
Oh yeah, there is another I should mention. Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka. Excellent! I like mine with 2 parts Sweet tea vodka and 1 part spring water, add lemon slice and squeeze. This is a first rate summer time drink. You will thank me.

JJWord

Familiar Face
rkwilker said:
Mohitos and cigars by the pool. :eusa_clap

Mmmm....frozen mohitos....*drools*

I've been hooked on this frozen drink for over a year now. Wife and I went to Applebees and tried one of their Jamaican Breezes. I went home and figured how to make my own variation using a small blender (like the Magic Bullet but a knock-off brand), my wife now calls them Jeremy Breezes after me.

7 ice cubes
2 oz Maduri
2 oz Malibu pineapple rum
3 oz pina colada mix
3-4 fingers of a banana

Put all 7 ice cubes in the mixer, pulse for 2 seconds to just crush/shave lightly. Add all of the other ingrediants. Continue to mix until all of the banana and ice are pulverized. Enjoy.

I've tried adding a little more banana but then it ends up with too much of a smoothie consistancy. I'm not a fan of coconut or pina coladas but found that leaving the mix out throws off the formula. You can add a splash of real pineapple juice, but not too much as the acid will react strangely with the banana pulp.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
I am not entirely certain but I believe Cuba Libres are vintage. Whatever they are, they are tasty.

I also like light summer ales.

Fedord Spaniard

One of the Regulars
Its cold water for me....Its the most vintage drink, because its the first drink. Its also something you could drink and bathe in..just not at the same time i hope....

Spindrbrad

New in Town
I'm taken back to my first mojito, in Havana. I've had a few poor copies since. It's the only reason I grow mint. I also really like a 1/2 beer 1/2 lemonade. Something an old German fellow introduced to me.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Viola said:
I am not entirely certain but I believe Cuba Libres are vintage. Whatever they are, they are tasty.

I also like light summer ales.

They are...from Wikipedia (yea i know...not the best source...but for this it works)

Accounts of the invention of the Cuba Libre vary. One account claims that the drink (Spanish for Free Cuba) was invented in Havana, Cuba around 1900. Patriots aiding Cuba during the Spanish-American War[citation needed] — and, later, expatriates avoiding Prohibition regularly mixed rum and Cola as a highball and a toast to this West Indies island.

* According to Bacardi:

The world's most popular drink was born in a collision between the United States and Spain. It happened during the Spanish-American War at the turn of the century when Teddy Roosevelt, the Rough Riders, and Americans in large numbers arrived in Cuba. One afternoon, a group of off-duty soldiers from the U.S. Signal Corps were gathered in a bar in Old Havana. Fausto Rodriguez, a young messenger, later recalled that a captain came in and ordered Bacardi (Gold) rum and Coca-Cola on ice with a wedge of lime. The captain drank the concoction with such pleasure that it sparked the interest of the soldiers around him. They had the bartender prepare a round of the captain's drink for them. The Bacardi rum and Coke was an instant hit. As it does to this day, the drink united the crowd in a spirit of fun and good fellowship. When they ordered another round, one soldier suggested that they toast ¡Por Cuba Libre! in celebration of the newly freed Cuba. The captain raised his glass and sang out the battle cry that had inspired Cuba's victorious soldiers in the War of Independence.[1]

However, there are some problems with Bacardi's account, as the Spanish-American war was fought in 1898, Cuba's liberation was in 1898, and the Rough Riders left Cuba in September 1898,[2] but Coca-Cola was not available in Cuba until 1900.[3] According to a 1965 deposition by Fausto Rodriguez, the Cuba Libre was first mixed at a Cuban bar in August 1900 by a member of the U.S. Signal Corps, referred to as "John Doe".[4]

* According to Havana Club:

Along with the Mojito and the Daiquiri, the Cuba Libre shares the mystery of its exact origin. The only certainty is that this cocktail was first sipped in Cuba. The year? 1900. 1900 is generally said to be the year that cola first came to Cuba, introduced to the island by American troops. But “Cuba Libre!” was the battle cry of the Cuba Liberation Army during the war of independence that ended in 1878.

Fardad

Familiar Face
Yogurt Soda: "doogh"

1/3 of glass filled with yogurt.
1/2 teaspoon of dried mint.
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
2/3 of glass filled with club soda.
1 ice cube.

Yes, it is an acquired taste. :rolleyes:

abali-yogurt-soda.209617.51.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads